Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is a Shrinkable Shipping Cover?

MalibuWantToBe

So I see this comes standard on a VTX, but what does it mean? Is it something I will ever see or something that the boat is shipped from the factory with and removed?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's a new and better version of shrinkwrap to keep the boat protected from the factory. It's not really "standard", the dealers pay for each boat to have a shipping cover. Once it's shrunk to fit though it really can't be reused for anything.

Peter

On my Sanger, I can re-use it. Don't know if it is the same as Malibu's, maybe Peter can confirm. It is plastic with a polar liner (or something like it, but thinner) with a rope going around it to tighten. There is also a went with a screen so air flows but not bugs. The cover goes way down underneath the water line. It is perforated to fit the tower and sealed off with shrink tape. If you remove the tape carefully, you can re-use it for storage or trailering long distances, but it does not replace the standard cover.

The cover I got in January white plastic w/ the felt type material on the inside has been reused many times. The new style which maybe different from the current style but we carefully removed it and while the rear doesn’t come as far down as it did originally the use is still good. In fact was used it on the SLXI when it say outside and worked really well even though it was 2” longer than the VLX.

Be careful when using them as they do not breath.

/Steve

Mine does. Yours probably died then... Dontknow.gif

Edited by 1FootDan

My dealer gave me the shipping cover, but I had to ask for it. I use it for winter covering of the boat which I keep in a car tent. There are warning labels on the cover that using it in sunlight can damage the gel coat. In the car tent I have had no problems, but I make certain the interior is absolutely dry before using it. So far it is holding up good after six winter laydowns.

Edited by electricjohn