Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

80 AMP Waterproof Fuse

ok, So both of my batteries died so I charged them, checked the alternator (it was workng fine) Reinstalled them and now my boat will not even turn over. I have power to everything else on the boat but when I turn the key all I get is nothing. I noticed while removing the batteries there was an 80 amp waterproof hi amp fuse that was coneccted between the battery switch and the power going to the motor. Could this have anything to do with it?

I am completely stumped and this hick town I live in does not have anyone who knows about these types of boats.

Thanks,

Mike

[email protected]

Make sure your perko switch is switched to the all position. That 80 amp fuse is the fuse between your switch and the power block next to the dash that powers all the accessories. If it's tripped you're right nothing would happen. If the fuse tripped it will throw the reset bar in the up position. Just push it back down and you're set. If it's not popped up then it's not tripped.

Your batteries could also be bad, what type are they, how old etc..

Check the batteries voltage with a voltmeter, it should be at least 12.7V, make sure the perko is in the all, or both position. What is the age of batteries? Anything over 3-4 years old should be replaced.

Hey, thanks, Yeah the Perko siwtch is in the all position. The batteries are less than a year old. I also just took them out and recharged them, as they both had died. When I took them out I put the Perko on one and took the positive off and the boat still ran which leads me to believe that the alternator is working.

Hey, thanks, Yeah the Perko siwtch is in the all position. The batteries are less than a year old. I also just took them out and recharged them, as they both had died. When I took them out I put the Perko on one and took the positive off and the boat still ran which leads me to believe that the alternator is working.

The 80 amp "fuse" you are referring to is a circuit breaker, that can be reset. There are a few models, but most likely a reset button that is small and rectangular in shape.

If that is still no good, I have to ask when you turn the key, does the engine crank but not start or just not do a thing? Is there even a click at the engine?

Can you put a test light on the starter solenoid signal wire and see if there's any voltage there while the key is in the crank position? I had my wire come loose out on the water once.