Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are many 2009 Malibu boats being produced? Mastercraft plant is shut down.

Malibu Barefooter

Mastercraft and Four Winns boat factories are not producing any 2009 boats unless there is enough interest from their dealerships. Their factories are shut down for now and the local Mastercraft dealer is just buying left over 08's from dealers that have gone under. I've also noticed that Gekko boat website is not around and no dealerships are listed anymore on the internet. Any work on Malibu conditon?

As I recall MC shuts down their plants every year for retooling to the new line. So are you sure exactly why their shut down? Mind me asking your source?

I read something on Wakeworld about Gekko, SugarSand & Challenger shutting down too. No source for the info though so I don't know how reliable it is.

There is a page of '09s already on boattrader.com and our new local dealer has three '09s on the floor. My buddy who is connected with a dealer in the S.E. US said they are only ordering sold boats and no floor models.

Anyone know if Malibu only builds boats that are ordered? Also - are dealers required to order minimum number of boats each year? I suspect this will be an interesting (and very challanging) year for both the manufactures and dealers.

Anyone know if Malibu only builds boats that are ordered? Also - are dealers required to order minimum number of boats each year? I suspect this will be an interesting (and very challanging) year for both the manufactures and dealers.

Well obviously Malibu requires a certain amount (of total percentage of boats allocated) to be ordered by dealers for floor models but also when you walk into a boat show, most of those boats are owned by dealer and / or promo boat owners affiliated with that dealer. Obviously from a dealer standpoint this is difficult because if a customer is looking for a black VLX w certain options and dealer floor model is red then they must allocate another one of there boats. Dealers are only allowed a certain number of boats allocated based off of past sales and area of dealership. Our last dealer in St. Louis was only allocated 15 boats before he got out of Malibu. That means if he brought in 4-5 floor models, he was only allowed to order 10 boats for customers. Some dealers have much higher allocation.

As I recall MC shuts down their plants every year for retooling to the new line. So are you sure exactly why their shut down? Mind me asking your source?

I read something on Wakeworld about Gekko, SugarSand & Challenger shutting down too. No source for the info though so I don't know how reliable it is.

Gekko is being bought by another Co, but not one of the big 3.

My source about Mastercraft and Four Winns plants shutting down for a while, because of lack of boat sales, came right from the Mastercraft and Four Winns dealership. They are, for now, just buying boats from dealers that have gone under. Boats are a luxury item and probably be an item not needed if the economy is slow.

Weird I was just at the MC dealer yesterday and they said they had 8 more 09's coming in of just one particular model and they already had 2 09's there. This didn't inlclude the other 4 models they had 09's in stock.

Don't know whether MC has shut down the plant, but received the following from a MC dealer today:

Call and talk to Doug about being a special guest of The Liquid Edge and MasterCraft Boat Company to attend Fanfare 2008-an all-expenses paid trip to MasterCraft Headquarters in Tennessee to see first hand how the best luxury performance towboats are built. As our very important guest, you will be given a world-class experience that includes an interactive factory tour, boat demos, competitor analysis presentation, meet-n-greet with key MasterCraft senior management and an opportunity to be one of the first to own a 2009 MasterCraft at preferential pricing! Needless to say, this is the premier event in the marine industry and we want you to be a part of it.

Just a guess that they would want the plant really busy when they bring in folks for such an event.

To Wedge88:

What if a dealer has an exceptional boat show and sells more than their allocation of boats? Are they not allowed to sale more than their stated amount? How many boats does Stateamind allocate since they are both a Tige and Malibu dealer?

Just wondering since I do not know much about the dealer relationships with the manufacturer.

To Wedge88:

What if a dealer has an exceptional boat show and sells more than their allocation of boats? Are they not allowed to sale more than their stated amount? How many boats does Stateamind allocate since they are both a Tige and Malibu dealer?

Just wondering since I do not know much about the dealer relationships with the manufacturer.

I am not sure what Stateamind is allocated since they are fairly new. I am going up there Saturday so I will find out. With our old dealer he almost always went through his allocation but then is able to buy slots from other dealers that may not sell out all of there allocations. If I understand correctly, Malibu forecasts how many boats they will build and then allocate slots to dealers based off those numbers. On a great year it means Malibu could lose out on potential business because no open slots but I am sure that has never happened due to different areas but it does help keep up quality control because Malibu knows what is expected for the year and can plan that much better. I am no expert but spent a lot of time with our last dealer and one of his promo riders so I learned a lot about Malibu.

If I had to guess I would say Stateamind is probably allocated 15-16 Malibus and I think they are almost all sold. Suprisingly they have been moving boats this year which is great to see.

Wedge88:

Thanks for the information. I guess Malibu knows what to do since they have been doing it for 25 years. It is good to hear that Stateamind is selling some boats. Wonder which is selling better Malibu or Tige?

I noticied you are going there this Saturday, you not going to get out on the water and enjoy this late summer/early fall weather? I have to be at work but I'm hoping to go out one day next week.

Wedge88:

Thanks for the information. I guess Malibu knows what to do since they have been doing it for 25 years. It is good to hear that Stateamind is selling some boats. Wonder which is selling better Malibu or Tige?

I noticied you are going there this Saturday, you not going to get out on the water and enjoy this late summer/early fall weather? I have to be at work but I'm hoping to go out one day next week.

I am having an issue with my starter so I am taking the boat up to have that fixed and get winterized since they are not real busy. My dad had Sunsetter LXI which we will continue to go out in through the fall, but I am going to put the response away for the year and run on his gas for a while. We put over 100 hours on ours this summer so I think it was a good summer. Good luck getting out.

Wedge88:

Thanks, hope your starter issue is not a big problem to fix. I wish I could have put that many hours on my boat this summer, I guess I need to stop working as much but then if I did, I might not be able to afford the boat.

Enjoy what is left of our season here in Missouri.