Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering trying wakeskating

Redneck_Surfer

Is it as easy to get up on a wakeskate as it is on a wake surfboard?

Is it as easy on your body (esp. knees, in my case!) as wakesurfing?

Any advice, anecdotes, suggestions, warnings, etc.

Cheers!

Don't. Just don't. One foot on, and one foot off, never ends well. I know FAR too many skaters with blown out knees. It is FAR worse on the knees than wakeboarding.

Latest story was 4 weeks ago......a friend did a wake to wake and the rear foot missed the board on the landing. The front foot was on the board and the board slid sideways. He tore ACL, MCL, three other L's that I can't remember, and the meniscus. The MCL was a level 5 tear (level 7 is severed) His surgeon said he had never seen anything beyond level 3. After 6 months of physical therapy, he will be able to walk without crutches. Return to normal activity in 1 year.

Don't. Just don't. One foot on, and one foot off, never ends well.

That is a very good point. I hadn't thought the "physics" through that well. I have a weak MCL from another watersport mishap. Perhaps I'll stick to the surfboard!

I couldn't agree more about the helmet. I fell off my wakeskate two weeks ago and the bruise where the board hit me in the eye is just now going away. Most people just assumed I had been in a fight and gave me really strange looks when they found out what really happened.

i think "basic" wakeskating is much easier on your knee's and body. if u catch a edge on a skate,,u just fall off. not getting slammed down because your feet are locked in as in wakeboarding. now if u are trying to jump wake to wake,,then that may be a differant story,,risk factor does go up.

i think "basic" wakeskating is much easier on your knee's and body. if u catch a edge on a skate,,u just fall off. not getting slammed down because your feet are locked in as in wakeboarding. now if u are trying to jump wake to wake,,then that may be a differant story,,risk factor does go up.

That's what I meant.

I figure if this guys wants to try wakeskating, he's not going to be doing any w2w jumps anytime soon. And getting up and just riding is no strain on your knees. Now, if you're gonna start jumping and kick flipping and such, whole 'nother story.

If you want a water sport that is truly easy on your body, especially your knees, try foiling.

It's a fun thing to do if you can tolerate being bad at something at first. I have tons of friends that are decent skateboarders and wakeskating is so much harder for them. Get a foam top deck unless you like getting beaten up. You won't get hurt too bad until you start going wake to wake, then you start destroying yourself.

We have been wakeskating and wakeboarding this year. I like wakeskating, it is pretty fun. I can actually ride it better switch and can do more surface tricks.

My nephews, who are very good wakeboarders and longboard skateboard riders really enjoy wakeskating as well.

Woody had both knees repaired recently and I think he was wakeskating exclusively this year. He would be a good person to chime in on this.

As far using you surfboard, you can. We use to ride the LF Skimskate (aka Venture) and the Inland Surfer Red Chubby. You just need to slow the boat down to around 10-12mph, IIRC.

For just foolin around the skates are a lot of fun. I use them to do back flips and attemped railies. I don't think that I have the guts to try to actually land on a skate from any height. I just see a torn groin muscle happening when only one foot lands on the board.

Joe

We have been wakeskating and wakeboarding this year. I like wakeskating, it is pretty fun. I can actually ride it better switch and can do more surface tricks.

My nephews, who are very good wakeboarders and longboard skateboard riders really enjoy wakeskating as well.

Woody had both knees repaired recently and I think he was wakeskating exclusively this year. He would be a good person to chime in on this.

As far using you surfboard, you can. We use to ride the LF Skimskate (aka Venture) and the Inland Surfer Red Chubby. You just need to slow the boat down to around 10-12mph, IIRC.

Personally wakeskating is a whole lot easier on worn out knees. There seems to be less stress on the knee joints when getting up. Wipe outs are less abusive because you fall through the surface of the water rather than being whipped into it when you catch an edge on a wakeboard (during certain tricks).

I have tried W2W jumps, (haven't landed any yet) landings with one and two feet landing on the board with the board slipping out. Luckily I haven't encountered any of the knee injuries mentioned above (if I had, believe me, my wife would probably shoot me). However the board will hurt you when it flips up and cracks your shin drawing blood or deep tissue bruising.

I do wear a helmet every time I wakeskate.

I like wakeskating. The biggest drawbacks I see about it is:

Not as exciting to watch to a "layman" since you cannot do flips or "supermans" haha.

Its best to utilize a PWC for towing as your going to spend a TON of gas learning tricks. (Think of how many times skateboarders fall when learning a trick.)

I wakeskate and roam quite a bit when I get tired of wakeboarding or am re-habbing an injury. Wakeskates are also great for learning raleys and just about any tripping initiated flip.