Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My 1st Surfing 360

Slider

Well this weekend I finally pulled off a clean surfing 360. I have been trying to get this done for several summers. I seemed very smooth and easy, but now I have to figure out how I did it and be able to do it again.

What is the next thing to learn on a surf board? I know that we have some crazy good surfers around here. Please drop some ideas and how the tricks are supposed to be done.

Thanks

Joe

Joe, were you able to continue riding after the 360? We just started late this summer, pretty fun but still prefer skiing and boarding over surfing although it is a totally different feeling and you really don't get hurt or feel sore afterwards :)

Joe, were you able to continue riding after the 360? We just started late this summer, pretty fun but still prefer skiing and boarding over surfing although it is a totally different feeling and you really don't get hurt or feel sore afterwards :)

Yeah I rode rigth through and away from it. I have been able to do the 360 for a long time, but I have never rode away until Saturday.

It was pretty cool, too bad we didn't get a video. He just went around & kept riding, & it looked like he'd done a hundred beforehand. It was so smooth that jetskipro's mom (who was in the boat with us) didn't realize that it was a new trick & I think was a little startled at all of the hooting & hollering that we did. :lol:

Ya he just made it look slow and controlled, oh on my surfboard to boot! We even had Jetskipro's mom going ropeless as well for the first time!

Congrats Joe,

Maybe I could lend you my board, so I could at least say, "Ya, my boards done some awesome ride away 360s. Yu should a been there" Notworthy.gif

Ya he just made it look slow and controlled, oh on my surfboard to boot! We even had Jetskipro's mom going ropeless as well for the first time!

Congrats Joe,

Maybe I could lend you my board, so I could at least say, "Ya, my boards done some awesome ride away 360s. Yu should a been there" Notworthy.gif

I certainly hope to be able to do more 360s. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can honestly say that it is one of my skills.

Way to go!

What board are you riding? We demoed a number of different boards over the summer and settled on the LF Custom, but just took it back to the shop without buying it. My daughter (and she's back at school now) is the real surfer in the family and I thought we would take a look again at what is out there and works for us next year.

I can get my Walker 5.0 sideways all day but have a hard time kicking it around without losing all momentum. Thinking some shorter fins might be the ticket... oh, and more wake. I know you're a bigger guy too Slider. What are you riding and what sort of fins do you run?

Edited by UWSkier

I think it was a Hyperlite 5'6" (?) It is Justins new board that he won at NorCal WOW. UW, all I do is cut up the wake to the top, kick the rear fins out of the H2O toward the boat, snap my head around the way I want to continue turning and at least this one time just drop back down the wake and continue the good times. Yahoo.gif

Joe

Way to go!

What board are you riding? We demoed a number of different boards over the summer and settled on the LF Custom, but just took it back to the shop without buying it. My daughter (and she's back at school now) is the real surfer in the family and I thought we would take a look again at what is out there and works for us next year.

I can get my Walker 5.0 sideways all day but have a hard time kicking it around without losing all momentum. Thinking some shorter fins might be the ticket... oh, and more wake. I know you're a bigger guy too Slider. What are you riding and what sort of fins do you run?

He was riding on my Liquid Force Venture with three fins I forget the sizes but I can check tonight. I tried to surf the Inland Surfer this weekend again and it's just too fast and squirrelly for me, this board in its current setup is very stable and slow comparatively.

lf-venture-56-08-zoom.jpg

Slider made the comment that it was a lot like the Broadcast 5'6, but with a lot more flotation. If you were to take out the outer fins & maybe even replace that inner fin with a smaller one then you'd loosen it up a lot & give it a lot more speed. But after thinking about how he did this & what he's struggled with in the past, riding out of the spin is the one thing that he's had problems with. He would always come around & be off balance, either pitching out the back or nose diving. But with this board I think that the stability of the board gave him what he needed to be able to ride out of it. He's got that Broadcast so loose with its fin configuration that I think it's hard to make it stick when trying to ride out of the spin. Just my theory anyway.

I think it was a Hyperlite 5'6" (?) It is Justins new board that he won at NorCal WOW. UW, all I do is cut up the wake to the top, kick the rear fins out of the H2O toward the boat, snap my head around the way I want to continue turning and at least this one time just drop back down the wake and continue the good times. Yahoo.gif

Joe

Congrats Joe... Thumbup.gif

Maybe for your next trick an ollie off the lip then float it back into the sweet spot.

LF Venture, 5'6.

We had that board with us at Oroville last year and thought it was fun, but a bit too stable to do many moves on. I'm more impressed that you could do a 360 with that board. The LF Custom is a looser, faster board than the Venture. The biggest downside to the Custom IMO is that it is a bit fragile, so you have to be careful with it. If you liked the Venture, then you may want to give the Custom a try.

It was pretty cool, too bad we didn't get a video. He just went around & kept riding, & it looked like he'd done a hundred beforehand. It was so smooth that jetskipro's mom (who was in the boat with us) didn't realize that it was a new trick & I think was a little startled at all of the hooting & hollering that we did. :lol:

:lol: We were 150ft away and heard all the noise. I turned around just in time to see him finishing the rotation. At the time I didn't realize it was a 360, just assumed he did a 180.

Rockon.gif

did my 1 st 360 last Sat . I did not ride away YET !! but this weekend I am READY !!! I have the LF Custom and the LF Venture ( Big blue board ? ) I can get both boards around now . I am ready to go the lake !!!!

DSC06995a.jpg

Still learning new stuff on both boards . Just ordered a 2 DVD set , Surf tricks !!! and orderd surfing magizine . Ready to LEARN !! I am going to ride away Sat on a 360 Thumbup.gif !!

LF Venture, 5'6.

We had that board with us at Oroville last year and thought it was fun, but a bit too stable to do many moves on. I'm more impressed that you could do a 360 with that board. The LF Custom is a looser, faster board than the Venture. The biggest downside to the Custom IMO is that it is a bit fragile, so you have to be careful with it. If you liked the Venture, then you may want to give the Custom a try.

Yes, the Custom is a great board, got to ride one at WOW this year. Fast & loose!

I think that what this kind of thing illustrates all too clearly is that we tend to misplace a lot of emphasis on our equipment, when in fact most of it should be placed on the rider. The best comment that I've heard in some time came from a slalom skier that I was talking with earlier this year. He said that at many of the tournaments in which he competes he'll see guys get out of the water & fiddle & tweak on their ski until it's their turn again, but they almost never ski better. He said, "Just get in & ski!"

We just bought the Ronix.... Don't have any ballast so I can't let go of the rope, but my 10 year old can get in the sweet spot and get slack. He hasn't mastered it yet, but he's close to going ropeless. I enjoy it even with the rope. We are impressed with the Ronix board. JMO

AF1 Thumbup.gif