Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towed by a Mastercraft

bimmerboy08

On Saturday the impeller on my boat went bad, and I was not able to change it out on the water or make it back to the dock. Luckily, I was able to get ahold of a friend who could give me a tow, only problem was it was with his Mastercraft Prostar 205.

Not that I have anything against Disastercraft (we had one when I was a kid, and I loved it), but I always thought the tow situation would be the other way around. Needless to day it was not a good day for Malibu marketing on lake Amistad.

Once on land I was able to change the impeller and get back out for some skiing and wakeboarding, but now I can no longer tease my friend about his Mastercrap. And I owe him a case of beer.

Hey Bimmerboy,

I'll take a wild stab in the dark here........

Sorry to hear your 'bu had a problem with the impeller. But that guy you got a tow from, Dave the SkySki rider? He's a good guy to learn from, like when you should keep a spare impeller in the glovebox.

You know what they say about what comes around, goes around. Dave will need some help at some point. Rockon.gif

On Saturday the impeller on my boat went bad, and I was not able to change it out on the water or make it back to the dock. Luckily, I was able to get ahold of a friend who could give me a tow, only problem was it was with his Mastercraft Prostar 205.

Not that I have anything against Disastercraft (we had one when I was a kid, and I loved it), but I always thought the tow situation would be the other way around. Needless to day it was not a good day for Malibu marketing on lake Amistad.

Once on land I was able to change the impeller and get back out for some skiing and wakeboarding, but now I can no longer tease my friend about his Mastercrap. And I owe him a case of beer.

Well, at least it wasn't a Bayliner! Whistling.gif

so I was on a friends disaster craft and we ran out of gas, her gas guage was incorrect. We got towed in by a 16ft tinny with a 85 horse outboard. Hope that makes you feel better!

Hey Bimmerboy,

Sorry to hear your 'bu had a problem with the impeller. But that guy you got a tow from, Dave the SkySki rider? He's a good guy to learn from, like when you should keep a spare impeller in the glovebox.

You know what they say about what comes around, goes around. Dave will need some help at some point. Rockon.gif

No, It wasn't Dave. I've met him before though, he's a cool guy. We're in the same profession. And yes, there is now a spare impeller in the glove box...but I don't think I could've gotten the other one off w/o a vice though. That sucker was really stuck on there! Made sure to apply some lubricant to the shaft (buhahah) before I put the new one on.

Hey Bimmerboy,

No, It wasn't Dave. I've met him before though, he's a cool guy. We're in the same profession. And yes, there is now a spare impeller in the glove box...but I don't think I could've gotten the other one off w/o a vice though. That sucker was really stuck on there! Made sure to apply some lubricant to the shaft (buhahah) before I put the new one on.

HEhe, small world, isn't it?

Probably best it wasn't him anyway because he'd never let you hear the end of it. Rockon.gif

Pair of needlenose pliers should do the trick in that boat. Or squirt some binding lube in there & bump the motor.

I have found in the past that if you stop let the boat cool restart and get up to speed 30mph or so it will force enough water into the pickup to run at or very near operating temp. I came to this conclusion because we only find out the impeller has come apart when you come off plain and are going slow or idling.

The temp will come up and run hot or over heat. I have been on two other boats now that it has happened and all have done just fine if you cool down then get on plain and go home to get a new impeller. I just keep a eagle eye on the temp to be sure all is well on the return trip.

so I was on a friends disaster craft and we ran out of gas, her gas guage was incorrect. We got towed in by a 16ft tinny with a 85 horse outboard. Hope that makes you feel better!

:Doh: and no pictures :)

A friend of mine was towing a boat and the rope snapped (snaped) and came back and did damage to his son's eye ... be careful folks. Go slow!

Every winter you hear about someone getting hurt or worse while pulling someone out of the ditch with a chain and the chain snaps.

I got your back, on Saturday I had to tow in a Mastercraft with my Malibu. :)

This picture is the last time we were towed by anyone. I am sure that Bill Air Junky will recognize the boat doing the towing! The next picture was the final shove that put me over the edge and made me buy the new Malibu!!!!!! Thumbup.gif A good buddy is the one who will help even with one swim fin, the other fin had a broken strap. The lady at the Marina wouldn't let me borrow a second paddle to speed the process up!!! Mad.gif Even though they had several rental pontoon boats right there! I would take that little swallow of humble soup to be towed by a Mastercraft than have to be pulled by a one footed swimmer!!!!

post-5478-1221586611_thumb.jpg

Edited by trentj6930

It's a lot better than paddling home......using your ski as a paddle. Had to do that years ago when I did not carry a paddle in the boat. I even swam the boat home once until I got to the point that I could touch bottom, then I "walked" it home. Thankfully, I've gotten a little smarter since then.

Did the impeller go because of lack of maintenance (how often do you change it?) ,age or just a freak malfunction ?

Anybody who has been on the water any substantial amount of time will have been towed (and hopefully towed someone else) in. I don't really understand the boat bashing but whatever.

I think it is just a little friendly fun!!! Just like Ford vs Dodge vs Chev vs etc.

+1 just having a little fun!

as for the maintenance, I'm not really sure. Basically it's my fault for not checking but I just purchased the boat about a month ago and have been tuning it up and doing maintenance as I go. This is the first boat that I've owned, so I'm still learning although my dad has had a sunsetter since 2001 and prostars before that.

He told me to check the impeller...basically I'm an idiot. At least i didn't cause any long term damage, and lesson learned (the hard way).

A friend of mine was towing a boat and the rope snapped (snaped) and came back and did damage to his son's eye ... be careful folks. Go slow!

Go slow and don't ever use a ski rope for towing. Polypropylene is not strong enough for towing. Use nylon (preferably braided but twisted will do) ½" or larger in diameter and 50' in length. Smaller diameters and shorter lengths will work but you're asking for trouble.

Let's be safe out there. (Name that TV show Biggrin.gif)