Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can upgrade to a maliview?

masterdinh

I am wondering if I can add the new Maliview feature? Sure would be nice.

anything's possible... it just depends on the time and cost. Custom fitting and modifications are most likely in the view

Dealer told me yes when I ordered my 09. Said it would be a complete dash pod replacement, but would be possible to swap for Malivue once all the bugs are worked out.

he's got an 08 though, not an 09. It would be an amazing feature if 07's and 08's could get malivue!

Edited by CrazyTegger

Sure it's possible to upgrade; just go down to your dealer with your current boat and order a 2009.

Seriously, it's possible, but at a minimum you'll need a new dash, new dash shroud, Malivue hardware, new wiring harness, and new MMDC. Conservatively I'd say you're looking at around $3000 not including labor.

So yeah, you could do it, but why bother, just get a new boat.

Sure it's possible to upgrade; just go down to your dealer with your current boat and order a 2009.

Seriously, it's possible, but at a minimum you'll need a new dash, new dash shroud, Malivue hardware, new wiring harness, and new MMDC. Conservatively I'd say you're looking at around $3000 not including labor.

I just bought the boat, and I am happy with it.

You probably haven't set foot in an 09' then, so much nicer and they did away with the horrible looking dashes.

Edited by 06vlx

You probably haven't set foot in an 09' then, so much nicer and they did away with the horrible looking dashes.

i don't have a problem withmy 08 dash at all...

The only had the 09 VLX when I was there and it belonged to the owner and one of the salesmen there, so I actually got a chance to see it. However they did not have any 09 LSV, plus I bought my 08 at a great price. Only difference in the dash that I could make out was the maliview. I guess I'd rather save the big $$$ up front and get the 08. This is my first Malibu, not my last:) Its wayyyyy too much boat for me as it is, and I am happy with it.

I've been told no, it has to be an '09 or later to swap.

That's what I've been told as well.

techs may not have specific directions that come from malibu on how to swap them out, but it will be possible. Truthfully, i wouldn't try it simply because you'd be changing out so much electrical equipment. There's so much room for error.

Edited by CrazyTegger

As skicrave lined out, it will be possible just not feasible. Changing out an MMDC as well as wiring harness is no small thing, & even though the '08 dash is similar it's not similar enough. That's why most dealers are saying not at all if it's earlier than '09.

in a year or so i will answer this question for everyone. I have an 08 23LSV and I love trying stuff like this.... so when i run out of projects i will start ordering up the parts and seeing if it works. Obviously i will need a whole new dash pod.. but I am sure eventually i will get it to work. My boat is my ohobby.. int he summer i am on the lake, in the winter i am in my warm garage working on it.

in a year or so i will answer this question for everyone. I have an 08 23LSV and I love trying stuff like this.... so when i run out of projects i will start ordering up the parts and seeing if it works. Obviously i will need a whole new dash pod.. but I am sure eventually i will get it to work. My boat is my ohobby.. int he summer i am on the lake, in the winter i am in my warm garage working on it.

sweet. i'm stoked to see how 'easy' (haha) it's going to be. Can't wait for you DIY

The biggest issue you're going to have is the new wiring. Without a shop manual, it's going to be VERY difficult to know how to repin the new connectors that are used on the MaliVue and MMDC.

Can't wait to see you tackle it though, should be a great upgrade to "watch". ;)

sweet. i'm stoked to see how 'easy' (haha) it's going to be. Can't wait for you DIY

I never said easy:) In the past i have rewired my wifes Audi to install the factory nav and bluetooth (purchased the parts from Germany and retrofit an 04 model to use the 05 stuff (and Nav+ wasn't available in 04. The wife was a little freaked out when she came out into the garage and saw the seats and floor of her A4 removed... but once i put it all back together she was happy. I also retrofited my 03 4Runner with the factory 05 Nav, backup camera, and XM radio stuff. AGain, lots of wiring, repinning, etc.. but in the end it was perfect and very clean. I do a lot a research before jumping in... so i won't rip apart the bu till i know it is technically possible.

I never said easy:) In the past i have rewired my wifes Audi to install the factory nav and bluetooth (purchased the parts from Germany and retrofit an 04 model to use the 05 stuff (and Nav+ wasn't available in 04. The wife was a little freaked out when she came out into the garage and saw the seats and floor of her A4 removed... but once i put it all back together she was happy. I also retrofited my 03 4Runner with the factory 05 Nav, backup camera, and XM radio stuff. AGain, lots of wiring, repinning, etc.. but in the end it was perfect and very clean. I do a lot a research before jumping in... so i won't rip apart the bu till i know it is technically possible.

Having done an install on our '03 A4, I have to say that if anyone can handle it you probably can. Tackling the stereo & adding factory nav/bluetooth as a retrofit in a car that never came with it..... Notworthy.gif

Installing Nav+ or an RNS-E into any Audi that uses CAN-Bus would be a cake walk compared to what we're talking about here. Imagine having to replace all of the wiring between the cluster and radio on your Audi without knowing what each wire is for. There's no Hayes manual, the radio doesn't have a pin out on it, and no one outside of Malibu has any idea what any of the wires do.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, I'm just trying to give some insight into what is going to be required. I've done all of the mods you've mentioned before, so I know what's involved with them, and this is in a completely different league, simply because there's no information available.

Installing Nav+ or an RNS-E into any Audi that uses CAN-Bus would be a cake walk compared to what we're talking about here. Imagine having to replace all of the wiring between the cluster and radio on your Audi without knowing what each wire is for. There's no Hayes manual, the radio doesn't have a pin out on it, and no one outside of Malibu has any idea what any of the wires do.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, I'm just trying to give some insight into what is going to be required. I've done all of the mods you've mentioned before, so I know what's involved with them, and this is in a completely different league, simply because there's no information available.

Do we even know if the harness is any different? It's possible that Malivue is simply a giant gauge... think about it... today we have a few gauges that show whatever the computer in the boat says to display. Malivue is no different... it's just all on one screen vs 5 different gauges. I am not so sure all the wiring is different (yes... clearly somethings might be different... but remember that you can still get an 09 without malivue and with the traditional gauges and we believe Malibu has stated that you can upgrade an 09 to Malivue (with a new dash insert.) So if that is true it is possible that Malivue is actually close to "plug and play" for an 08.... but you need a whole new dash so that the parts will fit.

Yes, we do know that the harness is different.

2009 uses an EControl ECM, 2008 used a Delphi ECM.

2009 has a Viper harness and control box for the MaliView system.

Feel free to try it, I'll sell you any parts you'd like to order, just don't ask me to perform the modifications for you. All parts sold are final, no returns.

Peter :)

interesting

when I asked Malibu and Idmar about adding the cats to my hammerhead, I was told that it couldn't be done

I would imagine that a harness or 2 plus the electronic brain and the manifolds and it could be done

If I tackle it, I might as well do the malivue too...............but just buying a new 2010 will probably win out :unsure:

interesting

when I asked Malibu and Idmar about adding the cats to my hammerhead, I was told that it couldn't be done

I would imagine that a harness or 2 plus the electronic brain and the manifolds and it could be done

If I tackle it, I might as well do the malivue too...............but just buying a new 2010 will probably win out :unsure:

See, that's just it. I think about these things too, but I start to think about all of the things that I'd change about my boat & how much work it would be....so much easier to just buy the new one & be done with it.