Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Being called out by a wally...is just wrong.

malibu_flyer

Hard to believe someone would steal a kid's kneeboard right in front of him like that. There's no hope for someone who would do that. We try to be as courteous as possible, but if you're into water sports, sooner or later you're going to pi$$ off a fisherman. Like others have said, you have to laugh it off and remind yourself that you have as much right to the water as they do. I always keep the cell phone handy in case someone would get stupid enough to warrant a call to the authorities.

We run into morons at the ramp all the time. A couple of years ago, in an effort to drop my BP a couple of points, I decided that I was going to keep my mouth shut no matter how ignorant or inconsiderate the person holding me up may be. I get all the confrontations with morons I can stand right here at work. Instead, I just take a deep breath, have a cold drink and/or tinker with something on the boat. I like to think that my actions will speak louder than words as we occupy a small portion of the ramp for all of 2 minutes. If you watch, you will see Joe Wally's head will almost always explode just from watching us. Thumbup.gif

I seriously wish there was a nice boat etiquette hand out that I could print out and take with me to the lake, I would hand them out and post some around the ramp.

This hand out would also need to be printed in Spanish on one side.

I've given it serious consideration. But I think that if they're cognizant enough to actually read it, then they probably already know it. Not worth the time, some people are just unconscious.

Yesterday I was pulling someone & kept getting followed very closely by a runabout, even when I swerved over to hug the shoreline in an attempt to protect our rider. So I did a u-turn & went back the other way, & shook my fist while yelling at him as we went by (the mom in me just won't flip anyone off when there are kids present on either side). He just waved back at us, moron. They're everywhere.

Wasn't he just giving us the rebel yell reply......lol That fool had the entire other side of the lake and wasn't even towing a rider to get by us and cruise beyond us....but no.

Nothing major this weekend but while waiting in line to launch there was one guy in front of me yet to turn around. After he did, I waited until there was sufficient space to maneuver, he then realized I was next and there was only one spot barely big enough for Wakegirl/Sliders boat. I almost had to do a double take on what he actually said, “hey my guy can’t backup very well go ahead”. Cool so we did and while I was waiting for the boat to slide off the trailer the Sheriff was standing in between me and the next boat, he had to squeeze up next to the adjacent tow vehicle, and looked in my truck to reply to my 3.5yo who said hi to Mr. Policeman. He said the three women in the boat next to me were out to have a ladies day at the lake, unfortunately no one showed them how to launch and were still there even after I parked the trailer and walked down.

The only mild irritation was when I couldn’t drive down the boat parking area because some idiot can’t properly park his 16’ trailer. So I politely moved the trailer to about an 80° angle. Whistling.gif

I wish we had a video of all of us that volunteered for the Camp Periwinkle put all 14 boats in each morning. I bet we had all 14 boats unloaded and trucks put away in less than 10 minutes. Loading the boats took us slightly longer, but we easily had all boats loaded in less than 15 minutes. It's amazing how fast things go when you have someone that can back the trailer well along with the cooperation of all guests in the boat and a great boat driver. Props to all of the Camp Periwinkle Volunteers!!

I wish we had a video of all of us that volunteered for the Camp Periwinkle put all 14 boats in each morning. I bet we had all 14 boats unloaded and trucks put away in less than 10 minutes. Loading the boats took us slightly longer, but we easily had all boats loaded in less than 15 minutes. It's amazing how fast things go when you have someone that can back the trailer well along with the cooperation of all guests in the boat and a great boat driver. Props to all of the Camp Periwinkle Volunteers!!

Plus1.gif

It was a sight to see!!

As I consider myself a wally, this is a good read. We are in the process of getting Mom and the kids driving the boat. This past weekend at Donner Lake I think we did well. I back the boat in and the grils walk it around the dock to the non-ramp side. Just a few minutes and we out of the way. On the way in we just monitor the dock and look for our window. Mom thinks she is ready to drive into the trailer? Surprised after seeing that gold Wakesetter crosed-up infront of us. We have found that the ramp is no place to rush as people are stressed and we encourage our kids to help out.

This is why it's great to have lakefront property with a dock and lift. We put the boat in and take it out once a year.

(Although, we pulled the wakesetter out in one shot this year, in about a minute, first time with an inboard. Also got it first try with the old sterndrive.)

This is why I enjoy keeping my boat moored, and also why I don't spend too much time on the water during busy times. I thought it might have gotten busy out on the river yesterday.

I agree, you just need to laugh these things off.

Ditto. Was a large factor in us buying a lake house with a boat dock/lift.

Talk about rude though, my neighbor was pulling his son knee boarding (has a 23lsv) the other morning and a bass boat was near our cove. Fisherman got mad we assume about all the wakes and followed my neighbor for a while. As the kid fell, the bass fisherman picked up the knee board and took off. The LSV could not catch the bass boat going 80mph. Boat was gone before he could get the kid in the boat and write down any information.

I know that is not a ramp story, but people can be aholes for the pettiest reasons. Not to mentioned putting the kids life at danger. For what, to catch a fish??

I can only imagine what this dude would have done if you cut him off at the boat ramp. Probably pull out a gun, which is not far fetched any more.

It's stories like these that make me lost all faith in mankind.

Lake Gaston. Generally a great place, but that was the first I had heard of something like that.

we took our church youth group up there in June. Adults went out @ 6 to get the good water, and every bASS boat we passed gave us a look like "what re ya'll doin up this early. this is our time." but we tried to be as courteous as possible, and not drop near them, get too close, etc.

I'm going to add a wally story too.....We launch our boat at a private ramp, which we pay a $50 annual fee to belong to. Unfortunately the owner also allows boaters to launch that don't belong for $5 a day. This a cheap price to pay as the state park ramp located 1/8th mile down the road has like 5 parking spots and it is so shallow that it's nearly impossible to get a boat off with out at least 2 wheels in the river. This attracts a lot of wallys on sunny weekends.

That however is not my gripe. My gripe is with experienced boaters (that also happen to be fishermen/women). Since the river is pretty shallow (aside from the 1-1/2 miles we ski on), most of the fishing boats are flat-bottom style boats with jet engines. Because the fishermen/women never want to get wet, they typically beach their boats next to the ramp (no dock) pull their trailer down, get back into their boat, pull back out into the river, line up to the trailer, and drive on. Once they are on the bunks, they find it necessary to floor their engine to push the boat the rest of the way on rather than winch it up the rest of the way. The problem with this is when they accelerate their engine, it pushes all the river rock up into a big pile behind the ramp. As the water level naturally decreases throughout summer, it becomes a royal PITA to get a boat off the trailer. There is a 6 foot hole just as the end of the cement ramp ends, but just behind where the trailer ends up there is a huge pile of river rock and it's less than two feet deep.

This ramp would be perfect all year around if we could simply stop the fishermen/women from doing this, but despite our efforts of "constructive criticism", they continue to do it. We've even asked the lady that owns the property to help us in our efforts, but that has not helped either. As a result, each summer all the guys in our ski club spend two days removing the island of rocks behind the ramp. Luckily one of our crew has access to a pump truck from the local fire company. We basically drop a pick-up into the river, hook 3 hoses up and use water pressure to push the rocks down river away from the ramp. Guess how many fishermen/women help with this process??? Zero.

Alright, I'm done.

Doing a demo and/or a delivery on our Reservoir during one of the bi-weekly fishing tourneys is always an adventure. I almost had a bass boat take out a 2009 247 a few weeks ago. They unload, tie off to the dock (6-10' away from the ram) then park their p/u. not on of them has enough common sense to pull around to the courtesy dock, and make room for the others who are utilizing the ramp.

The DNR Officers have always told me that bass boats cause more problems then skiers and jet skis combined. That surprised me, but I can understand why.

BTW, once the fisherman untied from the dock and went to hit the lake...his boat was dead on the water. Then he was floating aimlessly behind the 3 lane ramp...so nobody could load/unload. Good times...good times.

#1 Funny, just today at chinook landing (I am from Portland area too) we entered the no wake zone and slowed down to "no wake". This guy on a waverunner comes up behind us, proceeds around us at a high rate of speed. Well my 5 yr old son was in the bow of the boat wrapped in a blanket and the spray from the waverunner (you know the one that sprays straight up about 10ft) sprays my son. This guy ends up at the dock right in front of us.

#2 Now I am in my truck waiting for the same idiot.......why? because he pulls his waverunner out of the water and then PARKS on the ramp. Gets out to wipe and strap it down and whatever else. There is a very large ready area and a HUGE parking lot where everyone else does this kind of thing.

HAHA....Good to know I'm not the only VRIDE owner that has these kind of experiences @ Chinook!! That place is filled with idiots on hot days, or worse yet.....during the fall/late summer Chinook season!! Last weekend I was at the courtesy dock waiting for my trailer, when a fisherman (that was parked behind me) decided he was going to go clog a lane and tie up to the fingerling dock at the ramp. As if that wasnt bad enough he hit my boat on his way there!! (and didnt say a word to me)... When I finally weaved my way through the amateurs clogging the lanes and got my boat on the trailer (in about 60 seconds, I might add) I had found out that someone had hit my trailer while my driver was PARKED!!.. What a zoo! Cant wait till fishing season is over!

It's interesting reading through all of these posts and being able to relate to almost all of them. This was the first summer we had our Malibu and we definitely encountered plenty of knobs throughout the season. A few stand out in particular that just make you wonder if it's honestly possible to be that dumb.

One happened last week actually when we were out on Long Lake in New Brighton, where we usually go out on when we take the boat out. It was mid-day on a Thursday and the lake was pretty dead, maybe one fisherman out, if anything. We're out floating on one end of the lake and I was putting my board on to do a run, it was just my dad and I on the boat. Some guy comes driving up out of nowhere on a waverunner, fully clothed, wearing a goofy hat and just looked borderline-tool. I'm standing on the platform tightening my bindings and the guy floats up near me and asks, "Hey have you ever done that before?" and asked if we had ever wakeboarded before. And I just kinda look at the guy and didn't know what to say because it was such a dumb question. Here we are on our Wakesetter and I'm strapping into a nice board wearing a near-competition looking vest, clearly you could tell we have wakeboarded plenty before, and this guy thought we had never wakeboarded before. Not to mention during the run he kept crossing our path in front of us and even stopped at one point in our path. Total knucklehead.

We always encounter this one particular Asian fisherman who doesn't speak English at the launch on the same lake too. The guy has this ridiculous old 12ft. aluminum fishing boat with a hackjob-camo pattern he spray painted onto it himself (we know this because one day at the launch his boat had camo on it and we had seen him earlier in the season before he had that). And yes, he DID spray paint around the bunks Yahoo.gif . Anyways, he ALWAYS backs his boat into the water at a near-45 degree angle and blocks both lanes doing so. He then gets out of the truck, into the boat, and never backs in far enough, so he usually ends up relying on his outboard to wiggle his way off the trailer. So after about 2 to 3 minutes of his motor just screaming he eventually gets it off the trailer. He then does the tiejob on the dock with just the front of the boat, so the back end always swings out to block at least one of the lanes, while he struggles to climb the incline with his old two-wheel drive Bronco, usually smoking the tires for a solid 10 o 15 seconds. To top it off, he ALWAYS speeds off immediately through the no wake zone after untying his boat.

It's hilarious when you sit and watch these people take forever, and we simply back in, start up, and have the boat off the trailer in under 30 seconds.

This past Saturday night at Caters Lake in No. GA. Right at dark we pulled up to ramp just in time to see an H3 Hummer back an empty trailer down the ramp and right into the lake. I mean ALL THE WAY into the lake. This is a long steep ramp. That thing went deep deep. The guy was driving the boat (Bayliner) and his wife went down with the hummer, and stayed down for what seemed like an hour...maybe a minute or so. HE didn't even jump in the water to try to save his wife. He was at the helm struggling to get his boat back over to the courtesy dock. He must have missed the 17 ft. I/O class for Bayliner drivers. That white H3 was so deep that other boats, including me, were passing right over the top of it as we floated onto our trailers. Looking down into the water one could see the headlights taillights and trailer taillights glowing. The couple and child were so calm and relaxed......I'd be having a hissy fit I'm sure. The lady said that a bottle or something got stuck under the brake pedal and by the time she thought to use the parking break that the rear of the vehicle was already bouyant and that brake was ineffective. The engine was running when it went in (that's a worse thing I think). It was getting late and the Serriff was already there so I knew there was nothing I could do to help the guy so we left without seeing the rest of the story.

Does this qualify as a Wally??? Whistling.gif

It's interesting reading through all of these posts and being able to relate to almost all of them. This was the first summer we had our Malibu and we definitely encountered plenty of knobs throughout the season. A few stand out in particular that just make you wonder if it's honestly possible to be that dumb.

One happened last week actually when we were out on Long Lake in New Brighton, where we usually go out on when we take the boat out. It was mid-day on a Thursday and the lake was pretty dead, maybe one fisherman out, if anything. We're out floating on one end of the lake and I was putting my board on to do a run, it was just my dad and I on the boat. Some guy comes driving up out of nowhere on a waverunner, fully clothed, wearing a goofy hat and just looked borderline-tool. I'm standing on the platform tightening my bindings and the guy floats up near me and asks, "Hey have you ever done that before?" and asked if we had ever wakeboarded before. And I just kinda look at the guy and didn't know what to say because it was such a dumb question. Here we are on our Wakesetter and I'm strapping into a nice board wearing a near-competition looking vest, clearly you could tell we have wakeboarded plenty before, and this guy thought we had never wakeboarded before. Not to mention during the run he kept crossing our path in front of us and even stopped at one point in our path. Total knucklehead.

We always encounter this one particular Asian fisherman who doesn't speak English at the launch on the same lake too. The guy has this ridiculous old 12ft. aluminum fishing boat with a hackjob-camo pattern he spray painted onto it himself (we know this because one day at the launch his boat had camo on it and we had seen him earlier in the season before he had that). And yes, he DID spray paint around the bunks Yahoo.gif . Anyways, he ALWAYS backs his boat into the water at a near-45 degree angle and blocks both lanes doing so. He then gets out of the truck, into the boat, and never backs in far enough, so he usually ends up relying on his outboard to wiggle his way off the trailer. So after about 2 to 3 minutes of his motor just screaming he eventually gets it off the trailer. He then does the tiejob on the dock with just the front of the boat, so the back end always swings out to block at least one of the lanes, while he struggles to climb the incline with his old two-wheel drive Bronco, usually smoking the tires for a solid 10 o 15 seconds. To top it off, he ALWAYS speeds off immediately through the no wake zone after untying his boat.

It's hilarious when you sit and watch these people take forever, and we simply back in, start up, and have the boat off the trailer in under 30 seconds.

You should have said "nope, just trying it on to see if it fits" heres your sign!

That qualifies as a nightmare if you ask me. Are you saying that the wife and the baby were in the Hummer when it went in?

As I said in another thread recently, NEVER launch or recover your boat with a baby strapped in the carseat in your tow vehicle. Even if you are a pro at the ramp, mechanical failures can still occur and it would be very difficult to get a baby out before the truck went under.

...That white H3 was so deep that other boats, including me, were passing right over the top of it as we floated onto our trailers. Looking down into the water one could see the headlights taillights and trailer taillights glowing. The couple and child were so calm and relaxed......I'd be having a hissy fit I'm sure. The lady said that ...
That qualifies as a nightmare if you ask me.

Only in retrospect, and given that the wife survived (sounds like with minimal harm), that is one hilarious picture painted in my mind. I cannot imagine that the wife was calm and relaxed though. If she was, she had no idea just how much danger she was in.

That qualifies as a nightmare if you ask me. Are you saying that the wife and the baby were in the Hummer when it went in?

As I said in another thread recently, NEVER launch or recover your boat with a baby strapped in the carseat in your tow vehicle. Even if you are a pro at the ramp, mechanical failures can still occur and it would be very difficult to get a baby out before the truck went under.

Problem w/ that you'll get a ticket, yes I asked.

Heck, you just can't go anywhere without being called out by some angry jerk. My story is a bit off topic but here it is...

Just the other day my family was crossing a designated crosswalk within a medium sized retail center. Keep in mind, we were in the parking lot and not a busy street. So we enter the designated crosswalk and there were no cars at any of the 3 stop signs at the "T" where we were crossing. We were halfway across the crosswalk and I see this dude in a mini-van stop then accelerate right at us waaayyyyyy too quickly for a busy center at lunchtime. As I look over at him, he is barreling down right at us so i grab my three year old and try to get out of the freaking way. After the dude slams on his breaks and we are safe, I give him the protective dad staredown like WTF are you doing. Then, get this, he rolls his window down with his kid in the front seat and yells to me at the top of his lungs "have a nice day a-hole" then drove away fast. To top it off, there were two other ladies that were behind me. What the heck is with people these days?????? argh!

Edited by FijiRob

Problem w/ that you'll get a ticket, yes I asked.

I don't mean put the baby in the car seat and don't strap them in. Assuming you aren't launching/recovering alone with the baby/very small child, leave the baby in the boat with whoever is driving the boat. Even if the baby is not strapped in, it will be very difficult to get him/her out with the car under water.