Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Permanent Front Tank - Hard or Soft?

Jimmypooh

I'm planning on installing a permanent ballast tank in the front of my my 06 VLX. There is no tank there now. I know front ballast was a option, so where would that have been? Hard tank under the floor? Can I do this myself? Or do most people just use bags under the seats? Can I get my front ballast gage to work for it? Thanks for the info!!!

Hey Jimmy. Not sure if I'll be much help, as I have a little older boat than yours. We have an 03' VLX that didn't come with any front ballast. I purchased the "Y" shaped fat sack with the intention of putting it under the seats in the bow. It works fine under there, however you can't fill it completely without pushing the seats out of their places. I ended up pulling the bag out, and when I use it I just lay it out on top of the seats. There is still room for people to sit up there, but you have to use the plug-in pump to fill and drain the bag.

I've heard that with some of the other models a retrofit of the front tank is possible. But not so in the VLX, I think because of the way the deck is put down. So I think that you are limited to the bow sack.

I have only been able to confirm that the 247 can be retrofitted. The deck on the non-front ballast and the front ballast models are the same. There may be other models, but the VLX is not one of them

Jimmy what are your intentions with the weight in the bow? Are you wanting to still sit people in the bow? Do you want to keep the storage in the bow? Are you running above factory weight in the boat? Depending on your answers it will help guide the suggestions.