Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally landed the backroll

NvBoarder

Thanks everyone, I was behind Hammbones 23 LSV going 23.4 at I believe 75'. The trick is all technique, I was over rotating every attempt because I was carrying to much speed and cutting to hard at the last minute, (away from the boat) Basically you take a reasoable cut thinking about form and then you hold that edge all the way up to the lip of the wake and then rotate. As far as the one hand thing, it's force of habit, I guess, I havn't landed one yet with both hands. So I guess it's time to try to grab it. I have landed at least a dozen now, some behind my boat, Mike's (hammbone) and M-dudes all having slightly different wakes. The tip I got from Allen was that at the last minute it looked like I was cutting harder then when I went into the wake on the approach. So I tryed to keep a consistent cut all the way through the wake and then I landed it, actually now that I figured it out it is way easy, my biggest problem was to much speed and cutting away from the boat to much at the last second.

You make it look easy. Looks great.

Now how many concussions did it take to get to this point?

I have had one concussion trying the backroll earlier this year and a cracked or bruised rib. But thats because I was over rotating every one that I tried. The concussion was the weekend that I said I was not letting go of the handle anymore and I was going to see what happened. Needless to say I over rotated and dug the tail of the board in and still had the handle and the rest I don't remeber. Dontknow.gif

" Looks great Tim, it doesn't look like your getting much speed (Is this your technique so you don't land out in the flats too much?) in your approach at the wake but you getting enough air to land it really nice Thumbup.gif "

You shouldn't need much speed. If you come in with too much speed you're just going to increase your tendency to let off your edge and throw it more Mexi - or fly way out into the flats. I learned mine that way and am working my switch backrolls without that. I'm finding you don't need much edge/speed until right at the wake. It almost forces you to do a backroll if you edge right.

Plus1.gif

Congrats. Plan to start inverts next summer (once school is done). how long you been ridin?

about three years, never understood the fundamentals of the backroll until late last year. All my attempts looked like 360's, I didn't understand the fact that you have to roll forward slightly with your shoulders to intiate the flip. Crazy.gif

Way to go!---I started trying them last week but keep under-rotating. I have the rotation fine just dig the nose on landing. Getting closer, just gotta cut harder..........

More cut means your more likely to over rotate. Try working on the pop.

A BIG, slow back roll is way easier to land than a low fast one. Looks way better too. The OP's backroll is nice & big with not a lot of cut, but he got good pop off the wake so it came around nicely.