Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller location???

Ok, so I've done impellers on I/Os and inboards.

I just purchased this 1990 malibu skier, and I goto change the impeller, and there is no attachment on the crank where it would go.

There is a feed from the back of the boat for the fresh water, then it goes up to the pulley driven raw water pump, then leaves there and feeds back into the top of the engine where the thermostat is.

Do I not have an impeller to replace???

Thanks!

-vegas

I just purchased this 1990 malibu skier, and I goto change the impeller, and there is no attachment on the crank where it would go.

There is a feed from the back of the boat for the fresh water, then it goes up to the pulley driven raw water pump, then leaves there and feeds back into the top of the engine where the thermostat is.

Thanks!

-vegas

It should be in that pulley driven raw water pump. I'm not positive on a 1990, but usually their inside a housing covered with a plate with 4 screws. The housing is sort of round, maybe 3" in diameter.

Thanks!

-vegas

The raw water pump house's the impeller and will have a cover with 3-4 small screws. Do a search for impeller and your going to find tons of info on how to remove and replace it.

Thanks!

-vegas

The raw water pump house's the impeller and will have a cover with 3-4 small screws. Do a search for impeller and your going to find tons of info on how to remove and replace it.

Awesome -- it was after I made the post that I saw the back of that belt driven pump...

Looks like I may need a gasket for the house, is that correct???

Awesome -- it was after I made the post that I saw the back of that belt driven pump...

Looks like I may need a gasket for the house, is that correct???

There is usually a gasket in there. Many times it comes with the impeller. And more often than not, I'm able to pull the cover off with the gasket in good shape anyway.

Bill is right that the impeller is in the composite housing. No gasket needed, I've replaced mine the last 3 years and no gasket, with no leaks. Just don't over tighten the bolts or you'll break the composite.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have 89 euro and there's no srews on belt driven pump just bolts that go all the way threw housing does that sound right?

Hi I have 89 euro and there's no srews on belt driven pump just bolts that go all the way threw housing does that sound right?

Your boat (and the OP's boat) have Mercruiser powerplants, not Indmar. The comments above re: "four screws holding on the cover" do not apply to your boats. It's easiest just to remove the entire pump from the motor, change the impeller, then remount the pump. Be sure not to get the hoses reversed during the re-install.

Your boat (and the OP's boat) have Mercruiser powerplants, not Indmar. The comments above re: "four screws holding on the cover" do not apply to your boats. It's easiest just to remove the entire pump from the motor, change the impeller, then remount the pump. Be sure not to get the hoses reversed during the re-install.

Thx ! Thats what I was thinking but always good to ask some one who's knows ...