Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response Engine Expired

IronDonut

Howdy everyone. I had some bad luck this past weekend with my 99 Response w Monsoon engine. Apparently it lost all oil pressure while we were cruising at around 30mph and started making a lot of racket. As soon as I noticed the noise I looked at gauged and the oil pressure gauge and it was zero.

The engine was full of oil so I don't know why it lost oil pressure. In any case I'm pretty sure this engine is wrecked so I'm looking for some advice on an engine replacement.

The marina where I keep my boat is a Mastercraft dealer (I'm glad they actually work on ski + wakeboard boats) and they are suggesting that I go with a Jasper rebuild. I'm a little more inclined to buy a new GM crate engine. It looks like the Vortec 5.7L Marine engine which are only a few hundred more than the rebuild.

Howdy everyone. I had some bad luck this past weekend with my 99 Response w Monsoon engine. Apparently it lost all oil pressure while we were cruising at around 30mph and started making a lot of racket. As soon as I noticed the noise I looked at gauged and the oil pressure gauge and it was zero.

The engine was full of oil so I don't know why it lost oil pressure. In any case I'm pretty sure this engine is wrecked so I'm looking for some advice on an engine replacement.

The marina where I keep my boat is a Mastercraft dealer (I'm glad they actually work on ski + wakeboard boats) and they are suggesting that I go with a Jasper rebuild. I'm a little more inclined to buy a new GM crate engine. It looks like the Vortec 5.7L Marine engine which are only a few hundred more than the rebuild.

hi there go to your nearest gm dealer buy a 330 hp crate engine ,it works real well i get 52 miles per hour in my 94 flightcraft with no mods, you wont be dissappointed and best news its only 3000 grand.gotta like that enjoy terry

So the Indmar Monsoon engine in the 99 Malibu Response with a 1:1 drive is standard right hand rotation Vortec 5.7L iron block + iron heads GM motor.

From the back of the boat looking forward the prop spins to the left. But from the front looking back it spins to the right. So...

Also I'm thinking about ordering the motor from Michigan Motorz. They seem to have a good price and rep. (Depending on what the shipping costs are to Florida)

Thank you for your advice.

More on this rotation stuff (maybe I'm thinking too much but I can only imagine getting an engine installed in my boat and it spinning the wrong direction) my response propeller spins the same direction as the engine in my car (BMW) clockwise looking at the front of the engine.

More on this rotation stuff (maybe I'm thinking too much but I can only imagine getting an engine installed in my boat and it spinning the wrong direction) my response propeller spins the same direction as the engine in my car (BMW) clockwise looking at the front of the engine.

I don't know if the engine in your boat is a normal rotation engine or not. However, instead of looking at the prop why don't you just look at the crank when turning it over with the starter (not with it running)?

All this rotation talk reminds me of my brother's first boat purchase. He picked up an 88 Prostar 190 from his boss. They took it down to the ramp for a test drive. He went to back it off the trailer & nothing happened, engine reved up, but the boat didn't move. They pushed it off the trailer & still nada. So they winched it back on the trailer & looked under the boat..... someone had stolen the prop! So they go to the local MC dealer & pick up a new prop. $400 later & their back at the ramp again. They push the boat off the trailer & hit reverse..... the boat goes back up on to the trailer. So they try again, push the boat off & it's floating.... give it some gas in reverse & it motors back up on to the trailer! So the next time they push the boat off the trailer he tries going forward..... and the boat goes backwards!

Come to find out the previous owner had cracked the block by not winterizing the motor. The 351 they installed in the boat was originally from a Mustang. Apparently the car engines spin the opposite direction of the PCM. So he bought a prop designed for a Nautique/MB Sports & the boat ran great. There was some talk of a tranny problem since the gears were spinning the opposite way. But after owning the boat for like 7 or 8 yrs the only tranny problem we ever had was a shattered flex plate.

I think the marine engines have all stainless gaskets, instead of laminated ones, or plain steel ones.

I would remove the engine and tear it open, see what has been done. Worse case you replace the bottom end with new crank(stroker) and new internals, and you have a 383 hammerhead now. If you have the knowledge you can probably rebuild it far cheaper than replacing it.

If your getting rid of the old engine I might be interested in it, building a spare for my boat.

So the Indmar Monsoon engine in the 99 Malibu Response with a 1:1 drive is standard right hand rotation Vortec 5.7L iron block + iron heads GM motor.

From the back of the boat looking forward the prop spins to the left. But from the front looking back it spins to the right. So...

Also I'm thinking about ordering the motor from Michigan Motorz. They seem to have a good price and rep. (Depending on what the shipping costs are to Florida)

Thank you for your advice.

They do have pretty good prices, and your motor is standard rotation (Malibu always was to the best of my knowledge). All ski boat manufactures use std rotation engines now, the reverse rotation stuff died a long time ago.

-Chris