Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SMP tralier issue

AVLResponse

I have been having surge brake issue with my trailer(Sweetwater Metal Products). to the point that i had them disengaged for the short haul to the lake. yesterday one side was smoking when we got to the lake. removed wheel and discovered the whole assembly spindle etc.. was wobbly and loose. appears the brakes decided to hang up and cooked the grease and bearings. limped in to a boat repair shop. he is going to inspect the whole deal Monday, but suggested that it is usually best to replace the whole axle assembly, get both spindles hubs, bearings etc.. and roll on. i'm guessing the other side may have issues as well.

any thoughts on expected costs of total replacement? i'm about ready to replace the entire trailer due to the ongoing lameness of the UFP brake system etc.. but it's seems impossible to find a used trailer?

HELP

me a newbie, but this site is awesome!

Western NC

Replacing the entire axle sounds a little extreme. If the spindles are okay, there's no reason to replace the axle. Replacing the hubs, bearings and brakes (if those were the root of the problem) should take care of it.

I have found brakes hanging up do to the brake cylinder not returning. The pistons get dirty or corroded and don't function. I always check spindle and tire temp well travailing any stop or at the ramp. And my trailer stays in the garage and dry. I still have had problems. Shocking.gif

If he has you replacing the drums you might want to look at the disc brake conversion kits. The cost of replacing the drum brakes and all the other parts is about the same as the rotor & caliper kits.

I agree with EZ, no reason to replace the entire axle unless the spindles are damaged. You gotta factor in painting that new axle too. You need to find the root problem and fix that. I also agree that UFP brake systems SUCK!