Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Couldn't ski on glass

Sixball

My buddy up the lake called and said I will come down and pick you up. I grabbed my gear and went down to the dock just in time to see the DNR out . I ran up to the house and tried to call my bud so he would not ski down illegal . No answer he is on the boat. When he came around the corner I could see he was Alone so all is ok. He pulled up to the dock an I jump in I told him we got a small problem the DNR is on the other side of the lake.

They watched us until dark to see if we would go without a spotter. At one point they ran back to the public lounch to load and my bud starts to get ready but next thing I see is them sneaking back out to watch us. Well no ski last night Cry.gif

You should have asked one of them to spot for you.

That would be a riot.

I got out last night..... no spotter. First time we have done that this year.

Took the dogs down to the lake for a swim. The glass was irresistible. I called my wife & asked her if she'd drive. Had one other boat on the lake the whole time. Geared up & took a bug run.

We were out wakeboarding on some glassy last night (with spotter) and got pulled over by the fuzz. They were very polite, asked if we were aware of the cutoff after sunset. I said yep, 1 hour. He said nope, 30 minutes. DOH! This was precisely 31 minutes after sunset according to his clock.

They let us go with a friendly warning. :-)

Amazing this time of year, 30 minutes was truly the limit, it was getting dark fast. It was pitch by the time we were back to the launch.

hijack..

Bummer side-note, my little Rule 1100gph sack pump now rests at the bottom of the lake. Any rec's on a cheap replacement / source?

..hijack off...

Anybody know the fine for a no-spotter offense (at least in Cali)? A buddy and I make slalom runs between 7-9 am on the river a couple times/month. Fortunately, patrol doesn't usually hit the water til about 10. I'd like to know how much $ (or jail time) I'm putting at risk... Stupid.gif

Anybody know the fine for a no-spotter offense (at least in Cali)? A buddy and I make slalom runs between 7-9 am on the river a couple times/month. Fortunately, patrol doesn't usually hit the water til about 10. I'd like to know how much $ (or jail time) I'm putting at risk... Stupid.gif

Pretty sure they impound the boat and give an automatic 30 years behind bars.

You should have asked one of them to spot for you.

That would be a riot.

I got out last night..... no spotter. First time we have done that this year.

Took the dogs down to the lake for a swim. The glass was irresistible. I called my wife & asked her if she'd drive. Had one other boat on the lake the whole time. Geared up & took a bug run.

Hah. My daughter called me a couple of weeks ago after she was driving back to Spokane for school. She hit Spokane right around sunset and said that in a matter of minutes she had hit so many bugs that she couldn't see out of her windshield. She was pretty grossed out.

Pretty sure they impound the boat and give an automatic 30 years behind bars.

oh...well in that case: no worries.

While MN is certainly not held as a bastion of freedom, I guess I should be thankful that all we need is a big mirror and a driver. No spotter required. Of course, the wisdom of skiing spotter-less is certainly questionable, so we have one whenever possible. It was pretty nice for my brother and his wife this summer though, as they lived on the lake and were able to board every night!

We are able to ski quite regularly w/o spotter in our area. Normally when we are out it is very early or just before sunset. Often we are skiing the course and you are not required to have a spotter.

It's just too difficult to pass up all of those skiing opportunities during our short summer. We have only been pinched once in the last 6 years! Knock on wood Innocent.gif

We were out wakeboarding on some glassy last night (with spotter) and got pulled over by the fuzz. They were very polite, asked if we were aware of the cutoff after sunset. I said yep, 1 hour. He said nope, 30 minutes. DOH! This was precisely 31 minutes after sunset according to his clock.

They let us go with a friendly warning. :-)

Amazing this time of year, 30 minutes was truly the limit, it was getting dark fast. It was pitch by the time we were back to the launch.

hijack..

Bummer side-note, my little Rule 1100gph sack pump now rests at the bottom of the lake. Any rec's on a cheap replacement / source?

..hijack off...

On Lake Wa? I think the county is all done with lake Samm at least mid-week.

Edit - we were out a week ago yesterday and I think we boarded until 30 minutes or so after sunset. We stopped when it was became obvious we would shortly need to have a light stick on the boarder.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
If you only have 2, a mannequin makes a great spotter.... so I have heard. Whistling.gif

Matt,

What kind of Mannequin do you have or better yet, why do you have one????? Yahoo.gif

You forgot to ask if it's inflatable. . .

to save space in the boat, of course.

On Lake Wa? I think the county is all done with lake Samm at least mid-week.

Edit - we were out a week ago yesterday and I think we boarded until 30 minutes or so after sunset. We stopped when it was became obvious we would shortly need to have a light stick on the boarder.

Yep, Lake Wa. Not county cops though, think it's the Mercer Island Marine Patrol. They were cool and I was just swimming back to the boat after my last faceplant...done for the night.

What happen's if you surf after sunset? Because technically your not being towed by the boat.

You are on the start-up. Fingerwag.gif

Just start-up a couple minutes before legal limit, then surf and surf and surf. :Doh: I guess thinking outside the box ain't your strong suit, aye Michael??? Tease2.gif

Well we have been out a couple of times since. We have had More glass and we also have borrowed the neighbors young son. A very wet and overcast day today but may get some runs in. Mi. can ski up to one hour after sunset. Those runs get mighty buggy!

Surfing after dark is fun!!!

Luckily in OK we just have to have a large mirror. Most of the time the driver knows when the skier falls w/o looking anyway. As for the past dark stuff, we used to ski the course on our private lake well past dark. Especially if the water was glass and the moon was up and full. Wasn't unusuall to be out a hour after sun down. Boat guides show up pretty easily in low light, the orange turn bouys however...

Just start-up a couple minutes before legal limit, then surf and surf and surf. :Doh: I guess thinking outside the box ain't your strong suit, aye Michael???

Shouldn't you be doing something?...like, driving the boat for someone physically fit enough to ski?

Tease2.gif

It is quite easy to surf with no risk of falling if all you do is go straight and cruise...kind of like how you used to "slalom ski". ROFL.gif However, if you are popping lips tricks, throwing spins,...etc you are going to fall. Then what? The surf trip is over?

Edited by NorCaliBu
Just start-up a couple minutes before legal limit, then surf and surf and surf. :Doh: I guess thinking outside the box ain't your strong suit, aye Michael???

Shouldn't you be doing something?...like, driving the boat for someone physically fit enough to ski?

Tease2.gif

It is quite easy to surf with no risk of falling if all you do is go straight and cruise...kind of like how you used to "slalom ski". ROFL.gif

Yeah, yeah. Five bucks says that next summer I surpass your PB. That is, of course, if I am able to ski at all. . . Cry.gif Oh, and thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I knew I could count on you for moral support. Tomato.gif

;)

Five bucks says that next summer I surpass your PB.

No.gif Not a chance gimpy. No.gif

Oh, and thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I knew I could count on you for moral support.

You just need to man up and stop your whining. :lol: Just wrap yourself in duct tape and go ski. :lol: