Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GAS OCTANE

CHARLES HUGHES

In the owner's manual they say use 89 octane gas. My dealer told me 87 or 89 is fine. Just wondering what octane others were using?

CH

You could do a "search" on octane as this has been discussed a lot.

I guess it depends on the motor, but in my 310hp carb, the manual calls for 89, but I run 87.

Never had a problem with the engine knocking, so I continue to use 87. My guess is that the FI motors would have less of a chance of knocking with the computer adjusting, but those my be higher compression engines which is the reason higher octane is required.

I see you live in NC so the temperature will be hotter than here in pittsburgh, but even on 90degree days, no issue for me.

Mine recommends 89 and we put 87 one time and on startup it would die. Like it revs up then slows down to idle... and it would die. not positive that its related to octane but thats the only think we did different and it hasnt happened since.

We run 89 if we can fill up on land. Some of the lakes do not carry 89 so I keep Octane Booster in the boat and run 87 with a bottle. Haven't had issues but I would rather run what the manual states. 99% of people probably never have an issue with 87 but I would hate to be that 1% and pay down the road to save pennies now.

I think the 89 recommendation is due to loss of octane as fuel sits unused. The assumption being that fuel is more likely to sit for longer periods in a boat before being run through. BICBW The motor may run more efficiently on 89.

Think about the difference in price. Really. How many gallons do you go through in a year? I go through about 300. So for me, I'll spend the $30, for THE YEAR, to run the 89. YMMV

I think the 89 recommendation is due to loss of octane as fuel sits unused. The assumption being that fuel is more likely to sit for longer periods in a boat before being run through. BICBW The motor may run more efficiently on 89.

Think about the difference in price. Really. How many gallons do you go through in a year? I go through about 300. So for me, I'll spend the $30, for THE YEAR, to run the 89. YMMV

I go through closer to 900 gallons which is more like $90. I've ran both and noticed no difference. The EFI automaticly adjusts the timing and you should get more horsepower with higher octane. I'm not out there doing high speed runs and at todays gas prices I'll use 87 thank you.

The price difference where I get gas for the boat is 20 cents a gallon, 87 vs 89 octane. On a good summer, I can go thru 400 gallons, more if we get good weather on vacation. But just on the 400 gallons, that saves me $80. A tank of gas last one to two days on vacation, so it has no time to break down. Like I said in post 5, I notice no difference between the two grades.