Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rusty Wedge Bolts?

RogerQ

I just returned from a week houseboating on Lake Don Pedro. Great trip, but my Wedge bolts are now rusted. I had 22 hours on the boat before I went, so this was not the first time the Wedge got wet. Has anyone seen this before? Should I just replace the bolts or call my dealer?

Edited by RogerQ

Seems that Malibu has a rash of this kind of thing happening over the past couple of months. Do a search & you'll see. Get in touch with your dealer, it's definitely a warranty item. Oh, & do it soon, those won't last long & you'll end up replacing the entire Wedge when (not if) they break.

Ultimate Water sports in No. Cal had never seen the problem and their recommendation was wait until the wedge breaks off, then it will be a warrenty issue. I think that was a crap answer, but that is all they had to offer. I am still pushing for replacement bolts, however they pulled a replacement wedge out of their stock (brand new) and it had the same bolts that mine had on it which are going to rust in a matter of time.

Does anyone know the thread pitch and length of the screw, I will just buy my own stainless screws to replace them.

Joe

I just went through this during my 20 hr service. My SM said that they have SS bolts, but in his opinion the rusting ones we have are stronger than the SS ones Merced has. He said that when they get something worth changing to, I will get a new foil and bolts. He also said I don't have to worry about the rusting bolt integrity for a while.

Sounds like a bunch of double talk to me. I did take my SM advice to leave the rusting bolts in for now.

I showed the rusted bolts to a dealer (not the one I purchased from) who was performing my 50 hour service. He contacted Malibu and they sent him a small batch of new ones. My boat was in the water for three days last weekend with no signs of rust.

• 2 months later...
Thanks. I have a message into Malibu to get their take. I'll post the answer when I get it.

My wedge was returned to me today with the new hex head stainless bolts in the bottom. Apparently these are stronger than the ones that rusted. I'll mount it up tomorrow before I go out. I can't wait. 6 weeks without a wedge was no fun.

Thanks. I have a message into Malibu to get their take. I'll post the answer when I get it.

My wedge was returned to me today with the new hex head stainless bolts in the bottom. Apparently these are stronger than the ones that rusted. I'll mount it up tomorrow before I go out. I can't wait. 6 weeks without a wedge was no fun.

Whow, 6 weeks for changing 4 bolts... unbelievable

On my first service, the SM noticed the rusting bolts, and warrantied the whole wedge since the rust had discolored the foil. On my next service, 2 of the 4 were rusted again. He replaced them, and none are rusting now. Guess I finally got the good ones.

my are rusting also. Of course my dealer UWS, said to go and buy my own. Malibu should really do something about those guys. With all the trouble I'm having I wish I had purchased the boat from someone else.

On my first service, the SM noticed the rusting bolts, and warrantied the whole wedge since the rust had discolored the foil.  On my next service, 2 of the 4 were rusted again.  He replaced them, and none are rusting now.  Guess I finally got the good ones.

When did you get this done? Brian told me in July not to change yet and to wait until my winter service.

I did drive by and the new building looks like it coming along.

Greg

I have had one wedge replace with rust discoloration. Next service I will have my second. I wanted to upgrade to the chrome wedge but they said I would have to buy a whole new wedge vs upgrading it. It sucks to say but I am glad I am not the only one.

Whow, 6 weeks for changing 4 bolts... unbelievable

I actually sent it UPS to my dealer 12 days ago, they sent it to Malibu and it returned via the same path. The delay was on my end not Malibu's.

I just noticed that the foil discoloration was gone on this new wedge and the thumb screws move better. It looks like I got an entirely new Wedge. Thanks Malibu!

Does anyone have a contact phone number or e-mail at Malibu on this issue? I want to make sure I have the right screws in mine, if there is such a thing.

On my first service, the SM noticed the rusting bolts, and warrantied the whole wedge since the rust had discolored the foil.  On my next service, 2 of the 4 were rusted again.  He replaced them, and none are rusting now.  Guess I finally got the good ones.

do you have to go all the way up to paradise for that?

do you have to go all the way up to paradise for that?

I would think you would want to. With as many problems as they have had with this issue, you don't want any installation issues coming up if it breaks in the future.

I planning on getting mine replaced at the new service center in Murrieta when its completed. The current one is a hike and a half for us.

my are rusting also. Of course my dealer UWS, said to go and buy my own. Malibu should really do something about those guys. With all the trouble I'm having I wish I had purchased the boat from someone else.

Not sure where you are located on the Delta, but Boat Country in Escalon, CA has been a fantastic dealership for us--if you need to find an alternate. Randy is the owner and Brent runs sales. (209) 838-2628.

Ultimate Water sports in No. Cal had never seen the problem and their recommendation was wait until the wedge breaks off, then it will be a warrenty issue.  I think that was a crap answer, but that is all they had to offer.  I am still pushing for replacement bolts, however they pulled a replacement wedge out of their stock (brand new) and it had the same bolts that mine had on it which are going to rust in a matter of time. 

Does anyone know the thread pitch and length of the screw, I will just buy my own stainless screws to replace them.Joe

Joe,

Why not just take one screw out and go to ACE Hardware and match up the thread size. Then, check around (internet or possibly one of your suppliers) and see if you can locate a fastener company that is selling Stainless 316 screws. The ones Malibu is using are probably 304 or a lesser grade stainless (made in China).

Danforth in Tracy might be a bet.......

I believe I got mine from west marine... not sure what the grade are.. but I goobered the heads bad enough getting the old ones out, that I had to replace them anyway

We use olander a lot, I will just order them through work. Does anyone have the actual size? I know I asked this before and we got several different answers. I guess I can just pull one out and measure the threads & length.