Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX evolution

Arctic Slalom

i'm starting to look at older v-drives.....

what year did malibu put the wrap around seating in the VLX down the passenger side? Can someone post some photos of these older VLX interiors?

what year did they wrap the seating all the way around behind the driver?

in 99' they started with the wedge, correct?

01' was the only VLX with a diamond hull, correct?

which tower should I be looking for on a VLX, were there standard ones which were lesser quality?

what should I look for in a board rack?

i'm still considering both a LXi and a VLX...need to sell '89 SS first!

when did malibu switch from the o.j. legend to a CNC acme?

it dropped below freezing a couple nights ago here in minnesota, hate to winterize Cry.gif , love football season Rockon.gif !

thanks!

As far as towers are concerned, stick with a Titan and your safe. The newer Illusion is OK too, if not a little troublesome, it's safe.

But the first Illusion, the CFT & the ProFlight are no longer sold on a Malibu for good reasons.

what year did malibu put the wrap around seating in the VLX down the passenger side? Can someone post some photos of these older VLX interiors?

1997, and they look essentially the same as the current boats, just with the different vinyl layout of the model year in question.

Late 1998 MY, but it can be added to any VLX

No Wakesetter VLX ever had the Diamond hull, but it came on the '01 Sunsetter VLX.

which tower should I be looking for on a VLX, were there standard ones which were lesser quality?

I'm biased, but a Titan is the only tower I would consider, especially on an older boat.

It will depend on what features you want, but as long as it's in good shape it should be fine, and you can always add something else.

They never used OJ as a factory prop, but they did switch to ACME (from CVP) in 2001 (I believe).

Couple of minor inconsistencies:

My buddy has a 2001 and the seat isn't curved up towards the driver on the starboard side. I think this started in 2002. The upside to there not being a seat there is you have a place to stack wet stuff out of the way in the passenger area.

Late 1998 MY, but it can be added to any VLX

The Wedge is all over the 1998 brochure and my boat which was ordered in February of '98 has one.

If you buy a boat with a CVP, replace it immediately.

Edited by CTSunsetter
i'm starting to look at older v-drives.....

i'm still considering both a LXi and a VLX...need to sell '89 SS first!

it dropped below freezing a couple nights ago here in minnesota, hate to winterize Cry.gif , love football season Rockon.gif !

thanks!

I'd only consider the Titan for an older boat, period no oter discussion after 8 years on my SLXI it was flawless and stronger and less movement than my current Illusion tower. If I ordered a new boat it'd have a Titan on it as well.

Board racks Titan's again are top notch but Nice Rack's have served me very well. Both companies for accessories are great to deal. w/.

If you ever plan to run the course or want a world class wake skip the vlx, but you already knew I'd say that...lol.

Winterizing...what's that... sorry couldn't resist.

FYI the late 90's and early '00's the wakesetter was a package option (tower, wedge, front ski locker ballast) then morphed into an actual model both in DD and VD's.

According to the model documents from this site, the 01 was the only Sunsetter VLX w diamond hull. But from 02 - 04 the Sunscape 21LSV had the same dimensions and diamond hull. But drafts 20" instead of 18". Same weight too.

Thats a tough call on the decision, both are solid versatile boats. I'm a direct drive guy but the wraparound seating is nice.

I did a little research before I bought my '98 VLX.

-First year for the VLX was 1996

-Wrap around seating on the passenger side was 1998.

-The little wrap around seat behind the driver was 2002.

-98 and 99 Sunsetter VLX have a little table behind the driver's seat. 2000-2001 have an empty space in this area.

-Dashes differ between the model years (1996-1997, 1998-1999, 2000-2001, 2002-2004).

-The deck and windshield changed in 2002; 2002-2004 matches the current V-ride.

-Single-piece rear deck hatch until 2000 model year, then they went to the 3-piece.

-Retrofitting the wedge is no problem on any VLX, you need the pro (V-shaped foil) wedge. You may want to cut an access hatch in the platform if you install the wedge.

-1996-1997 has the open 'grid-style' deck; later VLXs have a solid deck

-Older VLXs have only (1) tracking fin

Fortunately, most V-ride accessories bolt right up to the older VLXs, including the Wedge, towers (Titan I, II, or III, as well as Illusion), emblems, decals, etc.

Some of the early tower designs were a little suspect, or just look dated now. I would look for a boat without a tower, and add new.

• 1 month later...

So I don't need to worry about a 96 Hull being a Diamond Hull correct? Are the wake characteristics extremely different than the 2003 VLX Hull? Any other likes/extreme dislikes of the 96 Sunsetter VLX Hull?

So I don't need to worry about a 96 Hull being a Diamond Hull correct? Are the wake characteristics extremely different than the 2003 VLX Hull? Any other likes/extreme dislikes of the 96 Sunsetter VLX Hull?

No, the diamond hull wasn't even introduced until '98. They should be identical, or as near to that as possible (if the hulls came from different molds then that could introduce minor differences). As noted, the Sunscape 21' from '02-'04 was the same basic boat as the aforementioned '01 Sunsetter VLX on the diamond hull. In '05, the hull changed. One other comment, in 2004 Malibu vdrives came with Gorilla Fins & IMO if you were to find one in your price range then you should consider it. JM2C