Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lining up with the trailer

masterdinh

I just bought a new 23 LSV and I love the boat. However, I look like a complete jackass when I load it up on the trailer. I came from a jet boat that was a lot more responsive. My Malibu is probably the sweetest boat on the lake, however I seem to oversteer like crazy when loading on the trailer. Its so damn frustrating. Any tips for a guy and his new Malibu??????

also, inboards have a tendancy to 'wander' which is the bow kind of swaying from side to side and the key is to not try to compensate, the boat will generally go straight.. it just takes time and practice. maybe one day out on the lake practice driving very slow and in a straight line get help get the hang of things a little quicker.

Man its seems like all I do is steer one way than the other. Feels like I have NO control. Very very frustrating to say the least:(

Patience is your friend. in and out of gear, with no gas besides that. You have to be going slow all the time from probably 50 yard before the ramp.

Just my $0.02

BB

Leave the boat in gear as much as you can, if you take it in and out it will cause the boat to turn. Dont try to take long runs at the trailer, if you do it is just more room for error. Get a short run and pick a line, leave the boat in gear but no more gas then that. Pick your line and go for it, make sure to give your self some drift from from side to side( wind, waves ). Practice as much as you can and you will find what works for you.

good luck.

Edited by txwakejunkie
Man its seems like all I do is steer one way than the other. Feels like I have NO control. Very very frustrating to say the least:(

Sounds weird but the more you steer the worse the wandering will get.

Everybody does it a little different. Just take it slow. I like to put it in gear and out of gear. Start at about 20 yards from the trailer and look at the right side of your truck that way you will go in straight on the trailer. It takes some practice to park and trailer a boat like this.

I also have a 23 LSV and coming from a Malibu Echelon it is different. The wind can take it very easy. Waves are also an issue. Just be patient. You will get the hang of it then be the envy of everyone.

Remember if you have the coolest boat on the lake you want to make sure you are the coolest driver on it too.. LOL

I just taught my 12 y.o. to drive the Sporty. He has put it on the trailer twice now. Dead on both times. Thumbup.gif Must be his awesome instructor. Biggrin.gif In gear, out of gear,...don't build up too much speed...you got no brakes. Unless there's a cross-breeze or a cross-current...you can't go too slow.

Edited by NorCaliBu

I had the same problem coming from an outboard, I always over steered. This weekend I finally got it right, I lined up, put it in gear and fighting all of my past experience let the bow wander during the approach. Boat went right on the trailer, didn't contact the guide posts even with a little cross wind. Yahoo.gif A really great feeling, next week I'll now if it was just luck or if I have really learned something.

Add a 9 MPH current, ramp on a bend, and dock pilings 15ft. away Shocking.gif If you miss your trailer you hit the pilings (or dock if their in)

I like going from neutral-gear, neutral-gear, and then at the last second giving a tiny bit of gas to bring it on straight. Slow and steady, and don't use reverse. I have seen someone try to bail out at the last second by throwing the boat in reverse and they ended up perpendicular to the trailer. Guide pole pads are handy too!

Add a 9 MPH current, ramp on a bend, and dock pilings 15ft. away Shocking.gif If you miss your trailer you hit the pilings (or dock if their in)

I like going from neutral-gear, neutral-gear, and then at the last second giving a tiny bit of gas to bring it on straight. Slow and steady, and don't use reverse. I have seen someone try to bail out at the last second by throwing the boat in reverse and they ended up perpendicular to the trailer. Guide pole pads are handy too!

You must have saw me!!! Got nervous put it in reverse and ended up in a perpindicular predicament. Atleast I didnt bounce off the wall or the boat that was docking next to me. The dock I use is two tight lanes, and big ol concrete walls right next to us. It really really sucks. I am going to try to go out after the hurricane with my brother and do nothing but load the boat over and over again when no one is there.

You must have saw me!!! Got nervous put it in reverse and ended up in a perpindicular predicament. Atleast I didnt bounce off the wall or the boat that was docking next to me. The dock I use is two tight lanes, and big ol concrete walls right next to us. It really really sucks. I am going to try to go out after the hurricane with my brother and do nothing but load the boat over and over again when no one is there.

Yes, definitely wait for that to blow over Tease2.gif

Seriously though, there is another thread from the last week or so with alot of free advice on this, just poke around a bit. I think everyone that is new to an inboard can relate to the change in approach that is needed. I prefer the in-out of gear to keep speed and direction slow and steady. No major corrections.

Edit - more here on the subject http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=17275

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Don't forget, at slow speeds a Malibu steers by the water being defected from the prop. That is why it is slow to respond or "wanders".

I get lined up coming in on a slight angle from the left side, only bumping it in and out of gear to keep it moving along. When I get into the trailer, I can now use reverse which will kick the rear end to the right and slow me down even more. By now the boat is on the bunks and I can now use forward to finish getting it on the trailer. Piece of cake!

Good luck and take your time

If it is windy out I'd suggest stowing the biminy just acts like a big sail. I usually don't go in and out of throttle rather just keep it at idle and come in at a big of an angle from port side. Oversteering is easy to do, just make smaller corrections.