Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 Hammerhead Oil Consumption Problem - NOW A SOLUTION!!!

Malibu Fan

For those of you that saw my post the other day regarding my engine oil consumption problem on my 2007 383 Hammerhead; there is now a solution to my problem. First, my engine consumed about a quart of oil every five hours from the get go. Malibu told me the engine should burn a quart every fifteen hours because the 383 HH is a racing engine. They tried to fix the problem by putting in a ring and piston cleaner and running the engine with 50 weight oil. The engine continued to burn oil at the same rate. I have approx. 45 hours on the engine. I am happy to report that it took only one day from the time I put in the claim to Malibu for a engine replacement for them to respond and say OKAY, YOU GOT IT!

WAY TO GO MALIBU BOATS FOR STANDING BEHIND YOUR CUSTOMER AND FIXING THE PROBLEM.

P.S. - If anyone is having this kind of problem, even if it is not as bad as mine, and you are still within your warranty period, you must document it with your dealer to preserve your rights to a claim if things get worse requiring an engine replacement.

Keep on boating Thumbup.gif ,

Malibu Fan

Huntington Beach, CA

For those of you that saw my post the other day regarding my engine oil consumption problem on my 2007 383 Hammerhead; there is now a solution to my problem. First, my engine consumed about a quart of oil every five hours from the get go. Malibu told me the engine should burn a quart every fifteen hours because the 383 HH is a racing engine. They tried to fix the problem by putting in a ring and piston cleaner and running the engine with 50 weight oil. The engine continued to burn oil at the same rate. I have approx. 45 hours on the engine. I am happy to report that it took only one day from the time I put in the claim to Malibu for a engine replacement for them to respond and say OKAY, YOU GOT IT!

WAY TO GO MALIBU BOATS FOR STANDING BEHIND YOUR CUSTOMER AND FIXING THE PROBLEM.

P.S. - If anyone is having this kind of problem, even if it is not as bad as mine, and you are still within your warranty period, you must document it with your dealer to preserve your rights to a claim if things get worse requiring an engine replacement.

Keep on boating Thumbup.gif ,

Malibu Fan

Huntington Beach, CA

Congrats! Thumbup.gif Always great to hear about good customer service. My neighbor has a 06 23LSV with the 383 and his has always burned a lot of oil and looks a little smoky at idle.

i had the issue, but switching to 50 weight, solved it for me.

Malibu tried that on my engine also, but I guess the rings just didn't seat right from the start. I burned up the 50 weight in 4 hours.

I see you are in Huntington Beach. Where do you usually take the boat and what dealer do you use?

I've been going to Cottonwood Cove Marina at Lake Mojave every year since I was 4 years old. That was 36 years ago. We are up to 50ish family and friends now going on our yearly trip. I try to make it at least four to five times a year. I bought my boat at Paradise Watersports in Murrieta.