Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anchor ?

KSilva

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a VLX... What do you guys use for anchors, like what type of anchors and how do they work for you...

I go to Lake Don Pedro, here in CA... 90% of the time I can't grab anything.... So I end up hooking up to a no wake bouy...

Thanks

Edited by KSilva
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a VLX... What do you guys use for anchors, like what type of anchors and how do they work for you...

I go to Lake Don Pedro, here in CA... 90% of the time I can't grab anything.... So I end up hooking up to a no wake bouy...

Thanks

How deep is the lake? What kind of Bottom is it? We boat in the Chain-O-Lakes in Northern IL. It's shallow (6-15 ft) and the bottom is mud or mud/sand. We use a Danforth. Make sure you have plenty of scope or else you're just pulling up on your anchor.

Edited by Jimmypooh

I use the vinyl coted fluke style anchor with a matching 3' piece of chain as my primary, I got it at boat country they carry a bunch of colors. I some times use my back up Cheine anchor with a heavy 3' piece of chain. Sometimes you need 2

Overtons has a bunch.

post-149-1221064666_thumb.jpg

post-149-1221064672_thumb.jpg

bigD... I got my boat at boat county and purchased one of thoes vinyl coted fluke style anchors. that has the 3 vinyl chain..... I spent like 20min, trying to grab something... I was dropping the anchor is like 20 ft of water with about 150ft of rope in my hand.. and no luck....

06vlx and Malibudude.... I have looked at the box anchor, it looks like it will do the job... They say to get the small one, but I was looking to get the large jus to play it safe... What size do you guys use?

I have an anchor buddy already... Never used it... Not sure how to use it...

Get the larger one for two reasons; 1) the recent windstorm we have was a wakeup call that I'm going to get a larger anchor, 2) the larger one adds weight... :) The rocky bottom we typically get the V-shaped style anchors are difficult to get to work, not impossible just much more difficult.

I like the box anchor - it has worked well wherever I've used it. Grabbed quickly, held well, released relatively easily. I got the small.

To use anchor buddy (depends on the length of the buddy)...

Tie a small loop in anchor rope about the same distance from the anchor as the anchor buddy.

Attach anchor buddy here when you don't want to use it.

Tie another small loop in the anchor rope at the fully extended length of the anchor buddy (20, 30 or 50 ft).

Attach anchor buddy here where you want to use the extension capabilities.

Set anchor far enough away that you can get the boat in shallow water when the anchor buddy is extended

Tie off at bow (or run through bow eye & tie off at a cleat.)

Use second rope to attach to solid object on shore. You can pull the boat in to load/unload and release the line to let the boat float back out to deeper water.

I realize I don't have the same boat as you guys, but I can't say enough great things about the box anchor.

I used to have problems with a regular slip anchor, and in crowded areas I was very nervous about it slipping and having my boat bump someone else.

After getting the box anchor, I just toss it in and forget it. Have never come close to having a problem.

I've used it in mud, sand, and area with thick hydrilla, and even rooted areas. It's always stuck, and I've always been able to retrive it.

Only draw back, is that it doesn't fit in MY anchor locker on my Yamaha, and it is a little heavy. So I don't trust "The Wife" to retrieve it with out knocking the boat.

But for overall piece of mind, I'll never use another anchor.

The box anchor is the only way to go at Pedro. I always had problems with any other anchor trying to grab hold in the bottom of Pedro. Now I just use a 56' long anchor....much easier to land the houseboat and tie off of it. Tease2.gif

Anyone have any experience with the box anchor on a river bottom. Our river is fairly shallow 4-15ft. It's covered medium sized river rocks all along the bottom (no sand or mud).

bigD... I got my boat at boat county and purchased one of thoes vinyl coted fluke style anchors. that has the 3 vinyl chain..... I spent like 20min, trying to grab something... I was dropping the anchor is like 20 ft of water with about 150ft of rope in my hand.. and no luck....

06vlx and Malibudude.... I have looked at the box anchor, it looks like it will do the job... They say to get the small one, but I was looking to get the large jus to play it safe... What size do you guys use?

I have an anchor buddy already... Never used it... Not sure how to use it...

I use the small and it's worked well, I wouldn't really get bigger than a medium do to storage issues. They do get pretty long folded up in the bag.

A box is the best way to go. We have had five boats, mostly power boats at 30+ ft, tied off to one large box and never moved. The MC dealer in town only sells box anchors at their store. I like the way they fold flat and come with a storage bag. Thumbup.gif

Agree get the recommended size from the site for the box anchor, I believe I have the small. This is an example of why I like and recommend the box anchor: my first overnight trip at my local lake I set my anchor and then looped another line from the handle bar to a tree. Well it got really nasty that night 30 mph winds and by morning I think it snowed, go figure it was memorial day weekend, anyway I woke up in the middle of the night flashed the light out to where the boat should of been, and it wasn't there. Did a quick search and their it was about 30' off shore just hanging out. The wind was changing directions constantly. The Anchor never let go but the line that I had just looped around the handle bar above the swim platform let go. Who knows how long the boat was out there but after that night I was very pleased that I had bought the box anchor. Any other anchor would of just let go when the boat was blown another direction the box anchor just dug in deeper. I had to swim out to the boat and retie the back of the boat but everything was good.

Plus1.gif for the box anchor. I received a mailer from West Marine a few days ago and they have 10% off on all their anchors now, not sure if it covers the box anchor but it's worth investigating.

I also recommend their shore spike and the anchor hooks. The anchor hook is cool if you are on a river with fluctuating water during the day. When the water level changes all you do is adjust the line on the hook, no more knots. The hooks are pricey but well worth it if water levels drop or rise considerably.

Has anyone tried the FORTRESS or the Greenfield Richter. The Fortress is light, but the Richter looks like it would work well in any conditions. I guess the fishermen love the Richter. I'm worried the Fortress will be hard to set.

The Box Anchor sounds great, but how long is it when folded and how much does it weigh?

Thanks---

I have used the smaller version of the FORTRESS (The Guardian) on our previous boat. It doesn't work well at all in rocky bottomed lakes. I'll take the box anchor any day.

While the box anchor folds 'flat', it still has it's tines sticking out, so it's not perfectly flat. I haven't measured, but based on and old e-bay auction it's about 22" long x 9" wide x 5" deep when folded & in it's case, but doesn't entirely fill that area. I am able to fit in under the bow area front/passenger seat with a few seconds of maneuvering (tips of tines towards hull). My stainless one weighs about 20 - 25 lbs.