Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fat Sac and Tsunami Pump Help

Jimmypooh

I have been convinced by the great minds of this site to get a 750 Fat Sac for my new (to me Yahoo.gif ) 06 VLX. I was told it will fit. I love surfing but sometimes don't have enough crew to weight enough. I don’t know much about ballast as my upgrade was from a really old boat. I found a Tsunami 1200 pump for $40 new on Wakeside but it doesn’t come with hoses.

What hoses do I need? What fittings? Do most people get 2 pumps per bag, one for filling one for draining? Can I get by without a draining pump or can I use this pump to drain also? Can I just T off the pipe coming in for the standard ballast or should I cut a new hole? Thanks to everyone that can answer the barrage of questions. I hope everyone is having/had a great summer. I’m hoping to get a few more weeks of riding in before calling it quits.

Hey JP,

Sounds like an OK deal on the pump. You should be able to get some one inch clear hose at a pool or aquarium supply place I think.

You'll need the W738 to stick on the end of the hose that is not attached to the pump. http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html#19

The pump both fills and drains.

To fill - you attach the end of the hose to the fatsac, plug it into your cig adapter and throw the pump in the water.

To drain -- attach the pump end to the fatsac and put the hose over the side of the boat, plug into the outlet and watch it drain.

Have fun!! Down here in Austin the season is just starting to get good... :)

To fill - you attach the end of the hose to the fatsac, plug it into your cig adapter and throw the pump in the water.

So I can submerge the entire pump in water? Do I plug it in the top or bottom of the bag to fill/drain?

Edited by Jimmypooh

So I can submerge the entire pump in water? Do I plug it in the top or bottom of the bag to fill/drain?

Yes, you can submerge the entire pump. I fill and drain mine from the top.

Yeah -- It kind of freaked me out the first time -- the instructions didn't really say anything -- and we were on the boat with the sacs and pump -- I thought - "well I can't see that there would be any other way but to toss it in" and so I just put it in the water and hoped that no one would be electrocuted... :) of course everything was fine :)

Yeah -- It kind of freaked me out the first time -- the instructions didn't really say anything -- and we were on the boat with the sacs and pump -- I thought - "well I can't see that there would be any other way but to toss it in" and so I just put it in the water and hoped that no one would be electrocuted... :) of course everything was fine :)

I'm sure it's unneccesarry, but can I hook up a tube on that side instead puting the pump in the water?

I'm sure it's unneccesarry, but can I hook up a tube on that side instead puting the pump in the water?

The pump will not prime unless it is in the water, also these pumps were made to sit at the bottom of a livewell so just throw it in.

You'll definitely want to plug into the top of the bag to fill or drain. Reason for this is if you try the bottom, as soon as you're done filling and want to remove the pump to cap it off, you'll lose a lot of water. Same for when it's time to drain, do it from the top.

It won't prime unless you've got a solid column of water pressing against the pump. Therefore, it's easiest to toss it in the water and let it do its thing. These are aerator pumps, and they're made to work that way.

You'll also find that occasionally when you've got it plugged into the bag, that it won't prime. You just need to press the pump into the bag to get it to prime, and then it'll work just fine.

I have a 2007 VLX, which ROCKS! I want to put a Fat Sack in the rear locker to make my surf wake bigger (already have one on the back seat). How much weight can I put in that rear locker without crushing my hard ballast tanks located under the floor? Has anyone done this with a 750lbs Fat Sack? Do you need the reinforce the floor?

Thanks!

I have a 2007 VLX, which ROCKS! I want to put a Fat Sack in the rear locker to make my surf wake bigger (already have one on the back seat). How much weight can I put in that rear locker without crushing my hard ballast tanks located under the floor? Has anyone done this with a 750lbs Fat Sack? Do you need the reinforce the floor?

Thanks!

as long as you always fill the tank first before filling up the bag then it won't crush it....

• 2 weeks later...

Smed - That's funny, because when I bought mine, the first time I used it, I tried holding the pump just above the water line and after about a minute of that, I dialed up the company and asked, because I was worried about shorting the thing out too.

I went out and bought the 750. I've been using it on port side with power wedge down and stock ballast on port and center full. The wake is great!!! I do notice the wake drop to almost nothing when I'm in less than 6.5 feet of water. Most of the lake I'm on is about 7.5-8 so it's not too bad. I'm able to start without a rope now!!!! I'll be sad when we close up on the 12th. Surfing will be even better when the speed control is fixed. Right now it wont hold below 11.5. I was told there is a software upgrade to fix this. Got to get my last bit of warranty work done before it runs out. Picture333.jpg

Picture334.jpg

Picture337.jpg