Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Play in Prop??

Levi900RR

This is probably a stupid question but... Im new to the inboard world

When my boat is on the trailer I grab the prop and it turns like an inch... There is about an inch of play??

Would this be the Prop or the shaft or both?? Or is that the way it is supposed to be??

Thanks

Are you turning the prop on the shaft, or is the shaft spinning when you turn the prop? The prop should not have any play, as the key should hold it tight on shaft (and they get pressed on real tight).

Thanks for the advise... The prop is spinning slightly on the shaft. The Shaft does not spin.

Thanks again!!!

Are you sure prop is spinning on shaft, keyway and key should prevent this, there should be no play of prop on shaft. You can turn prop and shaft by hand fairly easily.

Thanks for the advise... The prop is spinning slightly on the shaft. The Shaft does not spin.

Thanks again!!!

Are you sure prop is spinning on shaft, keyway and key should prevent this, there should be no play of prop on shaft. You can turn prop and shaft by hand fairly easily.

I dont know how it could spin on the shaft unless the key was gone or severely sheared off. I would pull it off and take a look.

The key probably will have groove's worn on both sides of it from the prop not being tightened properly.If you replace the key and tighten the nut it should be all good.

Well I am back and it took less than 5 minutes to pull the prop............that should tell you something right there. The prop just slid right off and yes the key was worn. I am going to reinstal the key (rotated to the non worn sides), order a new one and tighten the prop.

Anyone know the torque spec for these?