Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Gas cap

Copenhagen

Hello everyone. I still Cant believe myself for being so stupid but when filling up my boat with gas i left the cap on the nose and it fell in the water. Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gif I Have a 1998 Malibu Flightcraft and i need a new gas cap. From what i have seen online, the only thing i can do is to buy a whole new cap and neck piece which would require more work and money than i deem at the moment necessary. Is there some place you can order a part like that or a way to contact the main warehouse and see if they have any left? Any help would be appreciated.

Try Marine Hardware 1-800-526-5971, and www.marinehardware.com.

Don't know if the gas cap is the same as the one on my '92 Flightcraft but it uses 2" pipe thread. When I lost mine I used a PVC to 2" NPT adapter and a short piece of PVC and an end cap. I was not able to find any thing that fitted and ended up ordering from th Malibu dealer.

more info

• 10 months later...
Hello everyone. I still Cant believe myself for being so stupid but when filling up my boat with gas i left the cap on the nose and it fell in the water. Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gif I Have a 1998 Malibu Flightcraft and i need a new gas cap. From what i have seen online, the only thing i can do is to buy a whole new cap and neck piece which would require more work and money than i deem at the moment necessary. Is there some place you can order a part like that or a way to contact the main warehouse and see if they have any left? Any help would be appreciated.

I lost the gascap to my 1998 Sportster - did not want to hear the "replace the whole assembly" story from the dealer.

Any marina or online catalog should be able to sell you a "Perko" ( brand name) cap with the same thread.

If I remember right , mine cost less than $5 a few years ago - If I can find the part # I will post it for you.

I posted this discovery when I first made it a few years ago - with the part number - but I do't know if it's still on the forum.

I was at Sun & Snow, also called the poop deck, and saw that they had a box of old caps. They are in Manitou Beach Michigan. Maybe someone can take a pic of they're cap for you and then send it to S&S to see if they have the same one.

They didn't have mine. Bummer. I would have bought a spare. I better go take a pic of mine. I'll prob. lose it now.

I read some place that a 1 1/2" PVC threaded end cap is the same size & thread as our gas caps. Cheap option in an emergency. Is a must have in my boat.... just don't want to cut the vacation short for something stupid.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 3 weeks later...

I too can't believe I was so stupid as to leave the gas cap on the deck. It must have been one of the kids.

I have a 2001 Flightcraft. In my searches I have found that Malibu:

• Malibu "no longer supports that product"
  • Frequently changed the fuel filler assembly so that year-to-year and perhaps even within a model year there may be different cap assemblies
  • Doesn't know or won't connect me to the person who does know the thread specification on my Flightcraft
  • Doesn't currently have a cap that fits my threads

My ski pro who has had many Flightcrafts and has attempted to replace the assembly says "don't try it, its a nearly impossible job."

The threads on my filler assembly look like a standard pipe threads...but. I have tried 1" and 1 1/4" standard pipe the 1" pipe is too small and the 1 1/4" is too big. None of the existing Malibu caps will fit it. It appears that it may be 1 1/8" standard pipe thread (very rare). However, I did find a deck assembly that might have the right thread so the cap could be used and the deck plate put into salvage. (http://www.boatersland.com/att665493.html). I have purchased it and will let you know if it fits. At this point all I want is the right thread and I can build a suitable looking cover for it.

Bayliner has a cap that looks like it should fit, but the threads on the cap are not long enough to engage the recessed threads on the deck filler. (Anyway, who wants a Bayliner logo on their Flighty?) In the meantime a large cork works just fine. It even engages the threads and can be screwed in for security.

If worse comes to worst, I may attempt the dreaded filler assembly replacement during the long Minnesota off season.

Good Footin'

• 1 month later...
I too can't believe I was so stupid as to leave the gas cap on the deck. It must have been one of the kids.

I have a 2001 Flightcraft. In my searches I have found that Malibu:

• Malibu "no longer supports that product"
  • Frequently changed the fuel filler assembly so that year-to-year and perhaps even within a model year there may be different cap assemblies
  • Doesn't know or won't connect me to the person who does know the thread specification on my Flightcraft
  • Doesn't currently have a cap that fits my threads

My ski pro who has had many Flightcrafts and has attempted to replace the assembly says "don't try it, its a nearly impossible job."

The threads on my filler assembly look like a standard pipe threads...but. I have tried 1" and 1 1/4" standard pipe the 1" pipe is too small and the 1 1/4" is too big. None of the existing Malibu caps will fit it. It appears that it may be 1 1/8" standard pipe thread (very rare). However, I did find a deck assembly that might have the right thread so the cap could be used and the deck plate put into salvage. (http://www.boatersland.com/att665493.html). I have purchased it and will let you know if it fits. At this point all I want is the right thread and I can build a suitable looking cover for it.

Bayliner has a cap that looks like it should fit, but the threads on the cap are not long enough to engage the recessed threads on the deck filler. (Anyway, who wants a Bayliner logo on their Flighty?) In the meantime a large cork works just fine. It even engages the threads and can be screwed in for security.

If worse comes to worst, I may attempt the dreaded filler assembly replacement during the long Minnesota off season.

Good Footin'

Almost a month and a half have passed and I am still using a cork for a gas cap. I can now tell you that 1 1/8" standard pipe does not exist. And I am going to end up paying my mechanic to put in a new deck filler & cap assembly. This one will have a captive cap.

...This one will have a captive cap.

If by "captive cap" you mean the cap connects with one of those wimpy little "ball & chain"..bb's on a string looking things...be careful. Mine broke one early morning and I had to drive into the lake to catch my cap as it headed for the bottom of Lake Englebright.

I lost my gas cap at the gas dock. I found a replacement at the local West Marine. There are several diameters and thread patterns but you should be able to get a cap without replacing the whole neck.

Is the cap steel? If you were at the pump and know exactly where it fell in, I'd get one of those big magnets from walmart and go fishin for it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't it have a chain to attach it to the fill tube?

Digging up an old subject, but I have a question. I filled her for the fist time after buying our Response and took the original gas cap and expected the chain to hold the cap on. I was a bit surprised to see the whole thing come out. The crimped eyelet is still on the end of the chain and there is a theaded stud sticking up in the filler tube with about 4 threads showing. The eyelet is bigger than the threads so it must not just press on. What holds it in place? Dontknow.gif

What holds it in place? Dontknow.gif

Magic. Biggrin.gif

:lol:

The little clamp that held the chain to that little threaded stud is probably in your gas tank. :Doh: It was one of those little clamps that look like the letter P laying flat on it's back. :unsure: Not sure if that's clear.

What holds it in place? Dontknow.gif

Magic. Biggrin.gif

:lol:

The little clamp that held the chain to that little threaded stud is probably in your gas tank. :Doh: It was one of those little clamps that look like the letter P laying flat on it's back. :unsure: Not sure if that's clear.

Thanks, with out seeing one, I am not 100% sure what it looks like but I figure something was missing. I thought that it might have been a small hex nut.

Any idea if they are still available. I think fishing one out of the tank isn't worth ethe effort. Whistling.gif

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I lost my gas cap at the marina gas dock! I bought a 2" PVC screw plug as a temporary measure. Does anyone know for sure if part# SSDF66400 on page 40 of the Marine Hardware catalog is a direct replacement for a 2007 Wakesetter VLX?

bump! Anyone know if the cap above will work as a cheap replacement? $50 is a bit steep on the OEM. Also going to get a 2" PVC replacement for temporary weekend use.

I read some place that a 1 1/2" PVC threaded end cap is the same size & thread as our gas caps. Cheap option in an emergency. Is a must have in my boat.... just don't want to cut the vacation short for something stupid.

1 1/2 PVC thread cap fit into my 08 VLX as a temporary replacement for the weekend for future reference.

bump! Anyone know if the cap above will work as a cheap replacement? $50 is a bit steep on the OEM. Also going to get a 2" PVC replacement for temporary weekend use.

Yes, it did work. I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was around $35.

Yes, it did work. I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was around $35.

From thread to thread my cap measures 1 7/8". I called and she said that there cap measures 2". I do not believe it will work on my 08 VLX.

• 11 years later...
19 hours ago, TLo said:

Old topic.

I lost the gas cap to my 01 Sporty. Couldn't find a replacement anymore so I 3D printed one. 

Here is the link to the STL file for future reference in case anyone needs it. Printed the new cap out of PETG and it works pretty well.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5484750

Nice work.  I'm not sure the carbon helps anything in the PETG, but PETG is all I ever use for printing unless I have some other need.  I don't think it is terribly important to get a 100% good seal on the cap since the vent is open anyway. 

The o ring is just to ensure no water gets in. Maybe not necessary but cheap and easy and not much of a downside to using one.

The carbon fiber PETG prints better for me than normal PETG.  I couldn't get the gas cap to print in ASA without warping. CFPETG Prints a little more like PLA with a hardened .06 Nozzle. It may add a minimal amount of strength but no benefit to it in this particular application.

I cut the gas cap into pieces with an alignment pin so I can print it again without any supports and glue the parts together. Should get a better surface finish.