Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how to get a new skier up?

albino rhino

so I've pulled many a boarder but my Wife seems to be moving to the dark side, thats right she wants to ski. Any tips would be helpful for her to get started. She's gonna try double skis first then I think she'll move to a single, but all in due time. What speed should I pull at, how should I start her off, what should she do to start..... and many more questions. Anything you guys and gals can help out with would be great. Thanks! :blush:

im guessing she is confident being behind the boat so around 218-22 will probably be comfortable speeds for her. maybe just a little quicker than wakeboarding speeds, especially while she is learning, but dont be afraid to go slower.

the driving and starts will also be similar to driving for beginner wakeboarders. smooth and steady is the key, nothing too jerky. you are better off under'giving it' than over doing it. it doesnt take much to get doubles plaining. if you have PP/cruise, turn it off, drive manual so you can 'feel' and watch for the speed you need to be doing, back off if she is off balance etc etc. basically pull her like a kid wakeboarding and it will be Yahoo.gif im glad she is seeing the light :)

edit: oh, more q's... again similar to wakeboarding, arms straight, knees to chest bla bla bla. only real difference is legs together and equal weight on both skis. if skis keep going everywhere while starting, try putting her arms on the outside of her knees which will keep things together a little easier.

ive probably forgotten some good pointers but there is a start... also, do a search and look for other threads. has been heaps with similar questions to yourself..

Edited by Toby

I'd go with arms on the inside of the knees, stay in a ball and would give her more gas than what you would give a wakeboarder. Keep your tip out of the water the whole time and once you start getting up press with your toes to flatten your skis out and start to stand.

Here's a good discusion on getting up on one ski

Getr' Up (Slalom)

I think your best bet is to find a skier to help her out if one is available.

Edited by MalibuNation

The most crucial advice I can impart is getting the skier to let the boat do the work. By letting the boat pull her onto the ski's it will reduce her need to pull in her arms to stand up allowing for more stability. If she is poppong the handle she is too far back,if the boat is pulling her out the front she is too far forward.Position should be as everyone else has stated.

P>S my apologies for calling your wife 'she'

KNEES BENT

ARMS STRAIGHT

HEAD UP!

LET THE BOAT PULL YOU

that's all she needs & a steady throttle

if she's falling its going to be that she didn't execute one of the 4 tenents of basic 2 ski.

I taught skiing for years and also certified level 2 coach. keep it simple and safe (KISS)

thanks for the help, I'm sure this will help her to have a better experience. I don't know how much fun she'll have behind the boat though since we keep about 200lbs of lead in the nose constantly, I guess we'll just have to get that nose sack now Clap.gif

And I always thought the dark side was to the board?? not the skis. Innocent.gif

Not here where I'm at, it seems that the dark side is the skier's. Everybody boards! Biggrin.gif That being said there are a whole lot of toolboxes that cruise around with boards in the racks and sweet expensive boats only to do alot of this Beer.gif this Wine.gif This Bash.gif this Argue.gif and this Starwars.gif followed by even more of this Vomit.gif

KNEES BENT

ARMS STRAIGHT

HEAD UP!

LET THE BOAT PULL YOU

This is exactly what I'm screaming from the boat as I've taught countless boy scouts how to ski enroute to earning their Water Skiing merit badge.

She won't get up (meaning skiing under control) on the first pull, and likely won't get up on the first 5 pulls. All I look for is progression from one pull to the next, be encouraging and patient, but don't let her back into the boat until she shows you something (no, not those). I'm always telling the boys that the rope is not a railing, you can't lean on it. All it can do is pull you from the shoulders, so don't fight it with your elbows.

This could be really fun, or it could be really hard on your marriage. :unsure:

KNEES BENT

ARMS STRAIGHT

HEAD UP!

LET THE BOAT PULL YOU

if she's falling its going to be that she didn't execute one of the 4 tenents of basic 2 ski.

I taught skiing for years and also certified level 2 coach. keep it simple and safe (KISS)

Plus1.gif

Our 5th tenet is SMILE. No seriously, you will be surprised how is helps someone relax once they get up. It also makes for better pics that you know you will be taking on someone's first time up.

Couldn't agree more with KISS. You are lucky is a newbie can remember to do two things at the same time, never mind 10 things. After their first attempt, hone in of one or two of the 5 tenets to discuss with them. Also, there is only 1 coach in the boat. Everyone wants to help and offer their two cents, all it does is create confusion and chaos for the skier. Try to have all input funneled thru one voice, and that have one voice narrow it to the 2 most important tasks for that skier.

If someone in the boat wants to help, ask them to put one hand on the rope about 2 feet off the pylon and act as a shock absorber is there is any slack. This will help keep a more consistent pull on the skier and eliminate the jolts from the line.

Another rule to live by is "Boat drivers fail, Skiers succeed". It is always the boat drivers fault when someone does not get up (helps take the pressure off the skier) and the skier gets all the credit when they do well.

People have hit the keys,

Arms straight, knees into the chest, let the boat pull you up and don't look down. The arms straight is much more critical than people think. The tendency is to want to pull them in because when the skier gets pulled out of the water they accelerate and it creates a little slack and the skier feels that and wants to take the slack out of the rope. If they can survive the first 5 seconds they should be good.

Once up remember to keep the knees bent and the shoulders back.

Driving it helps to take the slack out of the rope then drag the skier for a couple of feet to make sure they are square and ready. Make sure to have a good straight pull then squeeze them out of the water. It needs to be a gradual pull and it will probably take less gas than you think.

KNEES BENT

ARMS STRAIGHT

HEAD UP!

LET THE BOAT PULL YOU

Plus1.gif

FWIW- put the rope on the tower as you would for boarding ...have her look at the spot that the rope is connected to the tower. This keeps the head up. simple visual very helpful.

Very much Plus1.gif on smiling.

It's like getting up out of a chair without using your hands. Have her sit in a low beach chair and give her a rope and you pull her out of the chair with the rope. A few dryland trys like that should set her up pretty good for in the water.

When in the water, arms straight around the knees to hold them together(and keep them straight when starting), tips out of the water about six inches, and relax for the start that will pull you out of the chair. Make sure she stands up straight (back straight) once up. And bend the knees slightly. Bending over is a typical posture for beginners, break her of that habit quickly.

Rope on tower works great as slight upwards pull plus gives target for learner to look at. Can also decrease rope length to 18.25m (15' off) to increase upward pull effect.

Once they're up though they should look directly at the instructor in boat who will tend to be standing up giving plenty of encouragement and knee bent hips forward straight arms smile type signals. I always remind skier bum out bent at waist style looks silly....and makes your bum look big, great reminder for girls.

Thank you so much for all of the help. The good thing is the wife has tried once before, about 20 years ago though. And it was her asking to try, not me forcing her to try. We've spent many an hour teaching new wakeboarders, so this should be about the same. And all in all no fights about it. I'm always taken aback when I hear of people getting in fights over this side of the sport. Launching I understand, but teaching this, no way. She actually can get up every time on a wakeboard, but fell flat on her face one time, so now she gets up and immediately lets go. We'll see how this goes.

no adventure yet. We had our first kid 8 weeks ago so it will be sometime soon but not sure when. She just got the ok from the dr to go in the water on Tuesday Yahoo.gif , so we'll see.

Edited by albino rhino
oh yeah, once she's up how fast should I pull her, on doubles, and on a single Dontknow.gif

Doubles you can go slower but I'd start about 24mph for slalom. Glad to hear the wife has gone to the darkside....lol I'd also suggest to "roll" into the throttle rather than a hard pull.

oh yeah, once she's up how fast should I pull her, on doubles, and on a single Dontknow.gif

Doubles you can go slower but I'd start about 24mph for slalom. Glad to hear the wife has gone to the darkside....lol I'd also suggest to "roll" into the throttle rather than a hard pull.

I know I keep hearing that from all you skinny planked, XC riding types! How are you doing? Maybe we'll be able to go for a ride soon as the weather cools. Although I'll really be out of shape this time!

Edited by albino rhino