Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake board question

CHARLES HUGHES

Some people like them some people don't. Since you are a beginner I would say use them. Just be careful because they will cut your vinyl.

What do you mean cut your vinyl?

The fins are good to have as a beginner. They help to keep the board straight.

A LIQUID FORCE OMEGA.

I have an Omega. It is a good beginner board, very easy to ride and forgiving. I still ride with the fins in. There is enough rocker where it is still pretty easy to do surface spins. I personally like the fins. Some people will tell you that your edging will progress faster if you remove the fins and learn to use the edge of the board properly. I am sure this is true. I also think that you can learn to edge properly with the fins in. They just help me to track a bit better and feel more stable on the water. Have fun!

The fins are good to have as a beginner. They help to keep the board straight.

A LIQUID FORCE OMEGA.

I also use the Liquid Force Omega... i find it way easier to ride with the fins on, but thats just my opinion.

Omega is a good board and can take you on up to advanced moves if you want. Nothing wrong with using fins in the beginning. I also like to recommend the fins in if you ride in rough water. But if butter, you should start thinking about riding without or at least take those off the rear when riding reg (not switched). You still have molded in fins and that should be a plenty.

And don't be afraid to slow it down while you are learning. It will burn the legs quick because of the drag, but allows you time to figure out things without the harder falls. We teach people new surface tricks all the way down to 15-16mph, and then speed it up. If you have anyone in your area that teaches wakeboarding, it will really accelerate learning.

We call face plants, "eye peelers" here in my area. Try a face plant from an invert going 25mph Love it!

Sorry for the hijack but I also ride an Omega and had a few questions about board size. Seems like a good place to carry-on the discussion.

I've been riding the Omega 139 all summer. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 180. The Omega 139 feels pretty comfortable to me-- I don't feel like it's too big or too small. But it seems a little heavy. I've been working on W2W grabs and would like a board that is lighter.

Should I get a smaller board? If so, how much smaller?

Are the more expensive wakeboards typically lighter than comparably sized beginner boards? [my guess would be yes]

I also want something that is a little softer on the landings. I read somewhere that a bigger board means softer landings... but I have no idea if that's true or not. I also imagine there are some trade-offs to be made. For instance:

Bigger board = softer landings but more weight

Smaller board = harder landings but less weight

I realize the best way to decide which board is right for me is to just demo some boards-- but I'm trying to get educated about the differences in board size before I even start looking.

I wouldn't worry about getting a lighter board. Unfortunately water time and learning from good riders around you are really a couple keys to getting better. I would say beginners, such as myself, tend to initiate tricks much later than we think and thus run out of time to do what we want to. Here is a prime example of a good rider and look how early he is starting the grab portion of the trick. Also, a bigger board doesn't mean a softer landing board...bottom design affects characteristic's such as speed, pop, and landings.

lyman.jpg

Sorry for the hijack but I also ride an Omega and had a few questions about board size. Seems like a good place to carry-on the discussion.

I've been riding the Omega 139 all summer. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 180. The Omega 139 feels pretty comfortable to me-- I don't feel like it's too big or too small. But it seems a little heavy. I've been working on W2W grabs and would like a board that is lighter.

Should I get a smaller board? If so, how much smaller?

Are the more expensive wakeboards typically lighter than comparably sized beginner boards? [my guess would be yes]

I also want something that is a little softer on the landings. I read somewhere that a bigger board means softer landings... but I have no idea if that's true or not. I also imagine there are some trade-offs to be made. For instance:

Bigger board = softer landings but more weight

Smaller board = harder landings but less weight

I realize the best way to decide which board is right for me is to just demo some boards-- but I'm trying to get educated about the differences in board size before I even start looking.

Generally a "softer" landing board is a continuous rocker board. 3 stage boards usually land "harder". That being said there is a trade off between the 2, 3 stage will usually stick landings better but be harder on the knees than continuous. Landing on a flatter surface is easier to balance on than landing on a curved surface. 3 stage boards usually "buck" off the wake w/ better pop while continuous is more subtle and consistent w/ less pop. I don't know much about the Omega but at 180 I don't think a smaller board would be a good idea. Saving a few ounces on a smaller board will not make up for the e-brake effect you will feel when your landing a jump. When you're demoing keep in mind that if your weight range is a 139 from manufacture A, you might be a 141 from manufacture B. Even in the different lines from the same manufacture lengths can be different for the same weight. Good Luck.