Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tires

wedge88

I have 2006 RLXi with Boatmate SA Trailer running Goodyear Marathon Tires. I have had an issue this summer and wonder if anyone else has had problems? I check PSI before each trip and a couple trips back (About 4 hour drive) one of my tires went lopsided. It was not a hot day and verified PSI halfway thru trip and was not over 63psi hot. Tire shows MAX at 65. I don't know if I blew a belt but reviews I have read online are not good for this tire. We have not had problems in the past but want to check with others.

How fast were you driving? goodyear recommended max speed for the marathon is 65 mph.

I'm sure you'll see mixed reviews. I had bad luck with Carlisles, and good luck with Goodyears. I think my next set might be Maxxis though.

I have a single axle trailer for my vride and have had success with the goodyear tires. I did fill them with nitrogen not sure if it helped or not, but the tire pressure never seems to change.

I just swapped my Marathons over to new rims and while I was in at the Goodyear shop getting them changed the service guy said that Goodyear now states that you can over inflate them by 10psi and gain 10 mph on the rating.

I haven't confirmed this, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable and actually brought up the topic himself after asking how fast I pull the boat.

Mike

That is confirmed on the Goodyear website.

I just swapped my Marathons over to new rims and while I was in at the Goodyear shop getting them changed the service guy said that Goodyear now states that you can over inflate them by 10psi and gain 10 mph on the rating.

I haven't confirmed this, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable and actually brought up the topic himself after asking how fast I pull the boat.

Mike

Replaced my Marathons after four years due to them separating. The tread wear looked good, but the tires started coming apart. The first two went out on our summer vacation last year. It was about 105* and we had been driving about 3 hours. Two tires separated within 50 miles of each other. I replaced the other two a few weeks later, and one of them was separated.

The tire shop said this was typical for trailer tires - four to five years is all they usually last, even when storing the trailer indoors.

We have an 05 and all tires are goodyear, we have had 3 of them come apart this summer!! Two were a week apart, so we got two new tires and on the very next trip we lost another one. When we got home we ordered the second pair and they are still on back-order. Maybe we will get them this week.

I will never again own anything with Carlisle tires on it. Every single carlisle tire I ever owned has come apart. Several trailers I bought had them when I purchased the trailer(s), and I left them on. Bad idea. The next time I buy something with that brand of tire I will replace them immediately. Junk.

Do you inflate them to 65psi or near that? That's way to high. I know the tire says "max" psi but that's not the same as "recommended" psi. I don't inflate my tires more than 35psi max. I have now had the same tires for about 2+ years and they're in good shape. My trip to the lake is 1.5 hours one way and we make a 1200 miles round trip to FL about twice a year so the tires have quit a few miles on them. Just watch your tire wear. If they're wearing evenly on the outside you're likely underinflated. If they're wearing down the middle your likely overinflated.

Do you inflate them to 65psi or near that? That's way to high. I know the tire says "max" psi but that's not the same as "recommended" psi. I don't inflate my tires more than 35psi max. I have now had the same tires for about 2+ years and they're in good shape. My trip to the lake is 1.5 hours one way and we make a 1200 miles round trip to FL about twice a year so the tires have quit a few miles on them. Just watch your tire wear. If they're wearing evenly on the outside you're likely underinflated. If they're wearing down the middle your likely overinflated.

I will bet that you have a tandem trailer too? My parents sunsetter lxi is on a tandem and they run about 36psi. I was told by dealer to run almost at max with SA trailer. I actually dropped them down a little because I don't like running max. Max on tire is 65 hot. I run them about 54 cold and when running they get to about 61psi. I have very even wear but I guess it came apart like others have posted. I could understand on 3-5 year old tires but these are 6-7 months old with probably less than 2000 miles on them.

I will bet that you have a tandem trailer too? My parents sunsetter lxi is on a tandem and they run about 36psi. I was told by dealer to run almost at max with SA trailer. I actually dropped them down a little because I don't like running max. Max on tire is 65 hot. I run them about 54 cold and when running they get to about 61psi. I have very even wear but I guess it came apart like others have posted. I could understand on 3-5 year old tires but these are 6-7 months old with probably less than 2000 miles on them.

A trailer tire whould be run close to max psi +/- 5 psi. When a tire is not run in it's operating range it will build up heat and sometimes come apart because of being underinflated.

I had bad luck with my marathons on my SA under my SLXi. Don't recall what I am running now, but so far so good. The guy at the local tire shop said that marathons are VERY over rated and that they see and hear about a lot of problems with them.

I ran GY Marathons on my old boat trailer for about 6 or 7 years. Several thousand miles per year. Stored in garage when boat not in use. No problems other than nail punctures. Replaced them after cutting one on a culvert and others were 3/4 worn out. Put on Carlisles. First year OK 2nd year 3 out of 4 had blow out or boils in side wall. Same treatment and PSI as previous G/Ys. I Bought 4 new Marathons and sold the boat 2 years later with them and no problems. I WILL NEVER RUN CARLISLES AGAIN!

Edited by dalt1

The Ryan trailer I have came with Transmaster tires, made by Greenball, most likely in China (from what I can tell). If I recall correctly, these tires were used due to fewer problems than another brand (I think goodyear, bu not sure).

A few things that probably also come into play -

Every time you turn a tandem axel trailer, each tire is getting pushed sideways very significantly on the treads, by the rotation (twist) . This just cannot be good, I could see how it may be related to tread failure.

From Ryan Trailer's website:

We use spring suspension which allows more travel while keeping the weight distributed evenly between the axles, resulting in a softer ride for you and your boat. Many trailer manufacturers have gone to torsion type suspensions, claiming they are better, but in reality they are just less labor intensive for the manufacturer and offer a lower quality ride for you and your boat.

The point being between how well leveled your trailer is, and torsion suspsension, one of the axels could be comparatively over loaded contributing to premature tire failure.

Whether (no pun intended) your trailer is store outside subject to continuous UV bombardment.

I could see those as significant variables determining trailer tire lifespan.

I had 8 years of use on my old trailer w/ Carlise tires not one issue. The trailer was kept inside, tires checked reguarly for proper pressure and wheel dressing applied to keep them from drying out. I just wish my current tires were as cheap....