Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hurth ZF Transmission problem

I have a question about the Hurth ZF transmission. I just bought a 98 Sportster LX. I hooked up a water line to run it in the driveway. While running, every so often the transmission catches and the shaft will make about a 1/2 turn. Is this normal when not in gear? Are there any adjustments? Also, the last transmission I had was a velvet drive. That transmission you would check the oil while it was running in neutral. If I look at this trans oil while it is running on the ZF, I can see the oil moving within the transmission, which would not allow for a good read.

Brian

Be careful not to overfill the tranny. When you check the fluid level, do not screw the dip stick all the way in. just sit it in the hole and measure the fluid that way. My buddy filled his off the dipstick by screwing it in to get a reading and overfilled it. He blew a seal out and his tranny hasn't been the same since.

Houston,

You are correct. When screwed all the way in you would put less in, therefore the trans may not engage. I was looking at a couple of different sites and this was a major topic on the ZF trans. I think I have too much in the trans that is why it is grabbing a little. I am going to check it in the water so I can get the boat level.

Thank you for your replies.

Brian