Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone run Acme 857?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• WakeGirl

• Ronnie

• chathamsolutions

I was having a problem getting my boat to hold speed at Surfing speeds, so

I removed the propellor & soaked it in a double batch of  "Tokillya" for about

a week, now the boat holeshots, holds any speed with 4500 pounds of ballast,

and goes 67 with the wedge down (by gps). Crazy.gif

You sure it was the prop you soaked in the "tokillya"? Biggrin.gif

I think we should have a bidding war on the 537 hahahahaha jk LOL

Funny thing about this prop...it will only fit on SacRiverRat's boat and mine. Special deal from Acme/Malibu for our boats, it has a square hole and a round keyway. Surprised.gif

Good one! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Good one! :lol:

I sprayed mine with PAM,,,,holeshot is lighting fast!

I just ordered an oj 14.25x14 for our wakesetter. It should be here in 2 days so when I get it I'll send a report. Its supose to add a ton of hole shot and only loose 4mph. I'll let you know.

later

Shawn

Ok - I've given the new prop (ACME 857) 13.25 dia, 15.5" pitch .06 cup...

After all the hu-bub over this prop, I was a little surprised that the difference wasn't more extreme. There was a nice improvment in the hole shot. I would compare the difference to the same change from the 381 to 537 prop (for those that have made that change). I would roughly say that I'm turning ~300 RPM faster at a given crusing speed... and top end I lost ~1mph. I am not hitting the rev limiter at the top, which I haven't done before... but that isn't a big deal.

I haven't had time to monkey much with the PP, but did discover that it needed some tuning. I reduced the KDW some, becuase the throttle adjustments were too extreme (set for the other prop)

I will keep track of the fuel burn rates, but I would guess that it won't make much differece. The burn will be more relative to the amout of weight I'm moving around, than the few more RPM's I'm turning at cruise.

Not sure which other prop I'll be selling since I now have a spare 381 and 537 :unsure:

I may be interested in one of the 2 as a spare, just not sure what the boat will have when it gets here.

Gunter at Bridge City indicated that the 537 was now standard on the Wakesetters. Do you know if this is true?

I've heard that it will depend on whether the boat was ordered with the bow ballast, but I wasn't given the actual model number of the prop. This info came from the factory. I would assume that the boats built with all ballast will have the smaller prop on them, but you know what they say about assumptions.

Edited by WakeGirl
  • 1 month later...

After running around on the 857 for a while, I haven't recorded any significant (if any...) increase in fuel burn rate.

The boat is a bit peppier out of the hole, much like the step from the 381 to the 537.. I don't recall what my top end was with the 381, but I lost 1-2mph going from the 537 to the 857. I now run 41mph at 5500-5600rpm.

I've recorded burn rates between 3.8 and 5.0gph (for an average outting - measured by filling up before/after trip and recording hours at each fill) These are the same rates I was seeing before. Can't say that I didn't pick up an extra 1/2gph... but some of the comments I heard before running this prop, had me thinking I'd see some crazy burn rates..

Anyway - I'm happy with the prop, and it helps the boat get movin!

I have an extra 381 if anyone is interested in a solid spare prop (no damage or repairs)

So does it help with Perfect Pass as well?

It helps the boat hold speed (and regain speed) ... with that said, I still have issues at the slower wakeboarding speeds with the wedge down. The hull is margionally plaining, and PP isn't smart enough to recognize when the boat is going to come off, and require some proactive throttle.

I've played with the settings and when you get more agressive, it then tends to back off too much when it sees that it is going too fast.

My conclusion is that we just need to ride faster, and manually help with some throttle when it is going to sink in Dontknow.gif

Perfect Pass (the company) had a lot of trouble with that hull, could be that as well coming in to play.

Yes, I think it is due to the step in the back, reducing the length of wetted surface. I like the wake, and the boat handles the other speeds ok - but when weighted heavily (people or ballast) and the wedge, it just has a hard time below 22mph.

I'll live w/ it Biggrin.gif

Do you have the "canoe" fix that PP developed to get the paddlewheel into clean water?

We have it on our boat and PP works fine now. It used to constantly vary by 1-2 mph up or down. This was especially evident at between 18 and 20 mph. At skiing speed it was much better.

Do you have the "canoe" fix that PP developed to get the paddlewheel into clean water?

We have it on our boat and PP works fine now.  It used to constantly vary by 1-2 mph up or down.  This was especially evident at between 18 and 20 mph.  At skiing speed it was much better.

I don't have the offical canoe fix - I did play with running the wheel deeper (3/4") by creating my own spacer. It helped some.. I should call PP and see what they think.