Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone run Acme 857?

Last year, I swapped out the Acme 381 (13.5" by 17.5" pitch), for the Acme 537 (13.5" by 16" pitch)....

Since then I've added a bunch more ballast - and have had trouble with the boat planing, and PP being able to hold the speed. I'm thinking about pitching down again to the Acme 857 (13.25" by 15.5" pitch) to help regain some hole-shot.

Currious about loss of top end (not super critical - but I don't want to loose 5+mph) the boat currently tops ~43 (GPS) with bimini and boards up.

Anyone run this smaller prop? Thoughts? I think I'll get some of the hole-shot back, and regain some speed control at slower wakeboarding speeds.

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• WakeGirl

• Ronnie

• chathamsolutions

My thought is....Want to sell the 537?

That will probably be the way to go - assuming I like the 857, no reason to have two backup props... and it would offset the cost a bit so I wouldn't feel like I'm just throwing money at the boat (as much..) Biggrin.gif

Do you know what your rpms are at WOT?

IIRC 5100-5300...

Have you talked to Jim or Bill @ Acme?  I had a response all typed in, then I saw that you're changing both the size & pitch, so I can't give you any kind of educated opinion on it.

I haven't... though it is the "recommended" prop on wakesides website - so I'm not coming up with some odd-ball prop size, it is one (the lowest of 3) props suggested for Malibu v-drives

Oh I know you're not talking out of your ***

Oh... don't be so sure :lol: - good suggestion to talk to them, though I was also looking to see if someone has some real world experience with this prop (beyone sales stuff I might get from wakeside or Acme)

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I've spoken with both Bill & Jim on separate occasions in the past, & while they do have an interest in promoting sales, both of those guys are extremely knowledgeable & helpful in this area.

Troy,

I noticed a big difference in going from the stock 381 to the 537. If I didn't use the boat for slalom skiing as well I would also consider trying the 857. Having been in and driven your boat, I would think that the 857 would be a good choice for you. I did notice that the boat didn't have as much hole shot as mine and did struggle to get on plane. You of course do have a bigger boat and loaded down pretty well.

Let me know when the time comes.

That will probably be the way to go - assuming I like the 857, no reason to have two backup props... and it would offset the cost a bit so I wouldn't feel like I'm just throwing money at the boat (as much..) Biggrin.gif

Do you know what your rpms are at WOT?

IIRC 5100-5300...

Yeah, I know what you're saying.  I've spoken with both Bill & Jim on separate occasions in the past, & while they do have an interest in promoting sales, both of those guys are extremely knowledgeable & helpful in this area.

Tracie - do you have contact info (e-mail?) for Bill & Jim?

I did get good hole shot (with stock ballast) going from the stock 381 to the 537.. and now my boat launches like a pig -

I should talk to the experts, they may have some other suggested prop setups for me..

Ronnie - you can have first dibs on the prop if/when I sell it Biggrin.gif

They guys at Acme will tell you anything you want to know about the props without you having to worry that you are getting a sales pitch. I spoke to them about getting either the 537 or 857 for my boat since I use a ton of ballast. I eventually decided on the 537 because apparently the 857 will give your fuel effeciency a serious hit. Its hard to estimate how much worse it is but I've heard that it is quite noticable. I haven't had any trouble maintaining speed with the 537 even with around 3000 lbs of ballast as long as the settings on the PP are dialed in correctly.

I eventually decided on the 537 because apparently the 857 will give your fuel effeciency a serious hit.  Its hard to estimate how much worse it is but I've heard that it is quite noticable.  I haven't had any trouble maintaining speed with the 537 even with around 3000 lbs of ballast as long as the settings on the PP are dialed in correctly.

What speeds are you usually running, and where do you have the ballast located. I do have a bit more boat to move... (weight and size) I find it works fine at the faster speeds >22mph but the 19-22 is rough, and the hole-shot is really lengthy

What speeds are you usually running, and where do you have the ballast located.  I do have a bit more boat to move... (weight and size) I find it works fine at the faster speeds >22mph but the 19-22 is rough, and the hole-shot is really lengthy

I usually have the ballast distributed pretty evenly. I really had to crank up the setting(forgot the name) on the PP to get it to hold speed evenly at surfing speeds as well as at 16-19 for beginners or people who want to play around at low speeds.

Ronnie, didn't your LSV come with the 537? That's what mine came with stock.

I just bought the 857 - becuase I wanted a spare. I've been happy with the 537 - but I can tell a difference when I get up in elevation (Powell/Trinity). It's been fine, until I recently added another 1000# to the stock set up. Then just a little sluggish.

I called and talked to Jim at ACME (www.acmemarine.com). They're a great bunch. IIRC he said I'd get BETTER gas mileage with the 857.

I haven't put it on yet, still sitting in the Weekend Saver Kit. I've been too scared to break out the harmonic puller and pound on a perfectly good prop / shaft that doesn't really have any problems with it...

Yes, my stock is the 537. I would like to have a back up. I've already had to go a week without the boat this year because of a hit on the prop.

I am happy with this prop for our boat. We usually don't run all the ballast and it works fine.

What speeds are you usually running, and where do you have the ballast located.  I do have a bit more boat to move... (weight and size) I find it works fine at the faster speeds >22mph but the 19-22 is rough, and the hole-shot is really lengthy

I usually have the ballast distributed pretty evenly. I really had to crank up the setting(forgot the name) on the PP to get it to hold speed evenly at surfing speeds as well as at 16-19 for beginners or people who want to play around at low speeds.

Are you running the ballast at 16-19? No way I'd plane with ballast at those speeds (well maybe 19) - Anyone wants to run that slow we dump..

I've done extensive testing with the PP- It is the KDW that controls how "agressive" it adusts the throttle. What I found was that if you set it too high, it becomes counterproductive... by backing out too much throttle for small speed corrections - and then it can't recover easily when the boat starts slogging down.

This weekend I got it dialed in pretty good with 4-5 people in the boat... but with 8-10 people, it just struggles Cry.gif .... but the wake is nice Biggrin.gif

I guess I have to preface the 'sluggish' term.

It gets up and planes just fine. But it's not as quick as it normally is at sea level. I'm spoiled here in the Bay Area. Taking it up in elevation I want it to perform just as well. That's why I got it.

Talked to Todd at Acme - sounds like the 857 is the one to try... smaller in diameter to allow it to spin up quicker.

I track my fuel burn (hrs and qty burned) at every fill up, so I'll be able to report back the impact to my burn rate - and my top end is currently ~43 (GPS) ... so I can also note the impact there based on my application.

Ronnie - not sure if I'll be looking to sell this prop or my 831 prop, that somone might want for a backup... I'll keep you posted

I was having a problem getting my boat to hold speed at Surfing speeds, so

I removed the propellor & soaked it in a double batch of "Tokillya" for about

a week, now the boat holeshots, holds any speed with 4500 pounds of ballast,

and goes 67 with the wedge down (by gps). Crazy.gif