Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Shaft Coupling removal

I have looked all over here for an answer to this and could not find it. I have the coupling off the transmission but can't see a retention nut or set screw for the coupling on the shaft. Does it just stay on with a key way or is there something I am missing? I tried knocking it a few times to get it off the shaft and it has not budged so far. Is there a danger of damaging the coupling or are a few good whacks ok?

Yes, there is a nut on the end of the shaft that secures the coupler, and there is a set screw that holds that nut in place. Rotate the shaft until you can see the set screw and loosen it. Unfortunately you will probably need either a speciality made wrench, or a cut down socket welded onto a handle to remove the nut from the end, there just isn't enough room to get a full socket in between the couplers.

With a V-drive you can use a regular shallow socket, it is 1.0625" IIRC.

As skicrave said remove that setscrew and get the socket in there. You will then have to pull the coupler off by using 2 long bolts onto the v-drive and shaft couplings while you place an impact socket or something else in between the shaft and the coupler. (hope that made sense) No hammer will get it off.

-Chris

With a V-drive you can use a regular shallow socket, it is 1.0625" IIRC.

As skicrave said remove that setscrew and get the socket in there. You will then have to pull the coupler off by using 2 long bolts onto the v-drive and shaft couplings while you place an impact socket or something else in between the shaft and the coupler. (hope that made sense) No hammer will get it off.

-Chris

At first it was not coming to me, (putting something inbetween the two couplings) but then all of a sudden I got it and it seemed very simple. I saw on a couple web sites they have a special socket that is cut down and has a square head to it to get a wrench on it. I think I will go that route and save myself some headaches for next time. Thank you both for your help with that. I knew it would be simple to someone who had done it, but the nut was not visible throught the space that opened up. I have been able to feel something that must be the set screw so I will turn it around and get it out.

You really don't need that special socket unless you have a DD. I was able to get my 1/2" ratchet and shallow 1.0625 socket in there with no problems in my VLX earlier this year.

-Chris

You really don't need that special socket unless you have a DD. I was able to get my 1/2" ratchet and shallow 1.0625 socket in there with no problems in my VLX earlier this year.

-Chris

/\ GOTTA be an engineer!!! That would be a 1-1/16" socket to everyone else in the world.

• Like 1

Not meaning to Hijack this thread but I saw the comment about needing a special socket to remove the coupling if you have a DD. I need to replace my damper plate and it sounds like I may need some special tools to do this. Any advice on were to find info for this would be appreciated. Having re-read the original post I am wondering if I have to remove the prop shaft coupling. I am going to do this before the season is over so I want to make sure I have everythign I need to do the damper plate change.

Thanks

Edited by colobuskier

-Chris

/\ GOTTA be an engineer!!! That would be a 1-1/16" socket to everyone else in the world.

Nah. Not an engineer. He's a school boy. But, (gasp) I. . .must admit. . .he knows his way. . .around the toolbox. . .and boat.

Now, Chris, that was a compliment. So before you say anything snippy, you can :biteme:

• 3 weeks later...

-Chris

Mine must be a DD (direct drive?) becasue when I undo the coupling, there is only a finger width between the two pieces. What am I missing? There must be something else I am supposed to remove before I slip the socket in there. Right now there is not even enough room for the ratchet. Any suggestions? I really want to learn how to do this.

-Chris

Mine must be a DD (direct drive?) becasue when I undo the coupling, there is only a finger width between the two pieces. What am I missing? There must be something else I am supposed to remove before I slip the socket in there. Right now there is not even enough room for the ratchet. Any suggestions? I really want to learn how to do this.

I have the DD also and need to replace he damper plate. It seems from the very first post that the coupler piece attached to back of the transmission was removed prior to trying to get the coupler off of the shaft. Having never done any of this I was wondering what is the easiest way to get to the damper plate. Can I just leave the coupler portion on the shaft and just raise the engine and gearbox with a hoist? I was thinking that if I just removed were the mounts to the engine mount to the boat I can lift it all up enough to get clearance to remove the tranny and then the bell housing, replace the damper plate, bell housing, tranny and then just drop the whole unit back into place. Is there a problem with this?

Thanks for any advice.

Colo, you simply need to unbolt the propshaft coupler. No need to remove the coupler from the shaft.

The rest of your reasoning is correct to access the drive plate.

Peter

• 1 month later...
I have looked all over here for an answer to this and could not find it. I have the coupling off the transmission but can't see a retention nut or set screw for the coupling on the shaft. Does it just stay on with a key way or is there something I am missing? I tried knocking it a few times to get it off the shaft and it has not budged so far. Is there a danger of damaging the coupling or are a few good whacks ok?

I read some of the responses. There is a retention nut, but not all shafts have set screw some have locking ring behind nut. this can be a pain as there is little room to work. My original shaft had locking ring. Replacement had set screw. If you are replacing shaft it will come with instuctions. If not call skidim.com.

-Chris

Nah. Not an engineer. He's a school boy. But, (gasp) I. . .must admit. . .he knows his way. . .around the toolbox. . .and boat.

Now, Chris, that was a compliment. So before you say anything snippy, you can :biteme:

Wow just rediscovered this thread...two compliments in the last 3 months Jack, your bad back is making you go soft!

-Chris

Wow just rediscovered this thread...two compliments in the last 3 months Jack, your bad back is making you go soft!

-Chris

Yeah, well, get over it, punk. My bad back is better so bad Jack is back. Tomato.gif