Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI Exhaust Vents

Superdave

I have an 05 RLXI that I absolutly love - with the exception of the rear corner exhaust vents. They look great but IMO are terribly designed. The screens are epoxied into place which has not held on either side so the screens sit in about 3/4 of an inch now and you can see the rough cut hull and the epoxy on the screen. Also, the little circle in the middle of the stailess bezel is such that it can catch the wakeboat line if runs across it. This happened to me and pulled up the bezel, which is held by only a screw at either end, and ended up taking a big chunk out of my gel coat (it hinged up on the two screws and the corner of the bezel pivoted down and took out the chunk of Gelcoat).

Anyone else run into issues with theirs?

Again, love the boat but wish BU would have put a little more forthought into the design of these. It could easilily have much the same look but better design.

Thanks,

Dave.

I haven't either, but I will say that I have seen a number of these boats where the fit of those screens left a lot to be desired - big/uneven gaps all the way around. Doesn't exactly scream high quality when they are like that...

I had to re-epoxy one of my vents because it was pushed in - kids to blame for that one.

I can't see how a rope would catch on the logo as long as the screen was in correctly. If the screen was messed up and left a gap between it and the logo I could see it.

I wouldn't change that design for anything, though. It looks freakin' awesome and is one of the things I most like about the RLXi design. However, I think it is overdone by putting them in front nowadays.

Mike

Edited by mlange

I think the rear ones are screwed in on my boat.

Yeah, I've gotten used to the vents in the front, but it's too busy and disjointed for my taste. I think they are different on some of the 09 boats.

I painted the screen black like on the new boats this year and thought it would be easier to pull the the screen off the grill instead of masking it off. That screen was not coming off without a fight so I ended up masking the grille.

Although I find the screens a bit sharp, I have not had any problems. Not sure if the 03's are any different. I would guess that build quality was a bit better back then being it was the launch year for the Rlxi. Parts of the design leave a bit to be desired though. Wait till you have to get to the fuel filter or blower motor.

They weren't offered in 2003 when I ordered my boat, but I think they look cool. Are they "exhaust vents" or air intake?

The ones at the rear are exhaust vents. The newer boats, like the '07 and later RLXi, also have vents on the bow that are intake vents. Not a big fan of the vents up front - kinda glad to see that on the '09 VLX they did away with them. Hopefully it rolls out to the rest of the lineup.

They weren't offered in 2003 when I ordered my boat, but I think they look cool. Are they "exhaust vents" or air intake?

The ones at the rear are exhaust vents. The newer boats, like the '07 and later RLXi, also have vents on the bow that are intake vents. Not a big fan of the vents up front - kinda glad to see that on the '09 VLX they did away with them. Hopefully it rolls out to the rest of the lineup.

So hot smelly exhaust come from these vents and there's no exhaust pipes under the swim platform?