Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake ???

KSilva

Hey Guys and Gals,

Our family has a 08 VLX – On the 08’s you can choose automatic settings for your ballast. Currently I am using the Intermediate wakeboarding setting. I just started wakeboard couple years ago.

Anyways to my questing…

I noticed that the wake is washy on one side and the other REALLY nice on the other…

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Kevin

Move one of your crew to the "washy" side. You can usually clean this up with a little weight on that washy side.

There were 5 people on the boat. 3 were on the washy side the other 2 were on the other side.

I added a lil more to the ballast of the washy side and nothing... Don't get what I am doing wrong...

It's definetely a weight issue, add more weight to that side. I've also found that if going to slow weighted this will happen to. Happens to me weighted down under 21.5 mph.

Listen to Ronnie. Add weight to that side until the wash stops. Try just filling that rear ballast. Make sure that when it is full water discharges out the overflow on the side (that is how you can confirm that it is filling without just relying on the gauges).

If that doesn't work there is something more complicated/dubious at play; that is fortunately VERY doubtful though.

Just fill everything up all the way and try a little more speed. I noticed when I stay around 22 it can be a little washy, but if I'm at 24 everything looks good.

I will try to fill the rear to the max. How about the center? Some one asked if the wedge was down, does this make a def. on the washy side? I ride at 19.8mph

I will try to fill the rear to the max. How about the center? Some one asked if the wedge was down, does this make a def. on the washy side? I ride at 19.8mph

If you ride at less than 21 weighted and you aren't weighted evenly it will make a difference.

Sorry for all these questions...but I came into my malibu from a 87 Reinell.. Rockon.gif

Okay, so I need to fill my ballast. Ride at 21mph....

How do you guys use the Power Wedge?

Thanks

Turning just ever so slightly will tend to clean up the wake (this is so slightly that the wakeboarder will not realize you turned the wheel at all).

Also, the wind will wash out the wake as well.

I guess I am going way too slow at 15mph.

wow 15mph... thats crazy! lol hahaha I'm not too far from you at 19.8 lol

I guess I'll have to bump up my speed to 21mph and see how it does.

You don't have to go 21mph to clean up the wake. I regularly pull wakeskaters at 17-18mph full/partial/empty however, at those speeds if they pull out hard the other side of the wake is washed out a bit but cleans up once they let off the tug on the tower to the side. The most important ballast on the VLX imho is the front followed by the center.

You don't have to go 21mph to clean up the wake. I regularly pull wakeskaters at 17-18mph full/partial/empty however, at those speeds if they pull out hard the other side of the wake is washed out a bit but cleans up once they let off the tug on the tower to the side. The most important ballast on the VLX imho is the front followed by the center.

Our VLX dose not have the bow ballast... I guess I screwed up again....

Our VLX dose not have the bow ballast... I guess I screwed up again....

Just get a front sack and manually fill it w/ a ballast pump, trust me you'll thank yourself for it. Why the VLX's are ever made w/o it just is beyond me as it's only a $300 upgrade. I bet that is more of the reason your wake is peaky and weight in the front will thicken up the wake.

We normally have 6 people with us when we go out. So should I just add 2 of my passengers to the bow and have the other 3 sit in the rear of the boat?

Rope Questions: I use a 75ft non stretch rope with 15inch handle.

At the speeds of 19-20, what rope length do I need?

At the speeds of 20-22, what rope length do I need?

Ballast Question: Ballast or wedge or both? I have the 2 rear tanks/center and power wedge

At the speeds of 19-20 – Ballast(rear/center) or Wedge?

At the speeds of 20-22 – Ballast (rear/center) or Wedge?

When wakeboarding, how should the pull feel? For example, When I ride at times, I feel like I’m pulling back on the rope to keep me from sinking and at other times it feels that I am leaning forward to hold onto the rope. So how should the pull feel?

Rope Questions: I use a 75ft non stretch rope with 15inch handle.

At the speeds of 19-20, what rope length do I need?

At the speeds of 20-22, what rope length do I need?

Ballast Question: Ballast or wedge or both? I have the 2 rear tanks/center and power wedge

At the speeds of 19-20 – Ballast(rear/center) or Wedge?

At the speeds of 20-22 – Ballast (rear/center) or Wedge?

When wakeboarding, how should the pull feel? For example, When I ride at times, I feel like I’m pulling back on the rope to keep me from sinking and at other times it feels that I am leaning forward to hold onto the rope. So how should the pull feel?

Plus1.gif I'd like to know this info as well