Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Gorilla Fins to older v-drive

Chicken

Along with some other upgrades, I plan to add Gorilla tracking fins to my '96 Sunsetter VLX this winter. Does anyone know who supplies these fins for Malibu? Marine Hardware has a "Challenger Turn Fin" that measures 8" deep, with a 3" x 11.5" mounting base. Does this match the demensions of the fins on the newer v-drives?

Although I've heard some say that this mod isn't possible, I don't see any reason it won't work on my boat. I have 12" of clearance to the trailer crossmembers, and the flat area along the keel of the boat measures 3.5" x 27". The single small fin that's currently on the boat is 7" deep, so the larger fins will only be 1" longer, but give me much more surface area.

Possiblity that it won't fit on your trailer w/ the larger fins also. I believe they make the trailers different for the gorilla fin boats vs. the non-fin boats.

This has come up quite a few times in the past, so do a search. Basically, while it might be possible, it's extremely cost prohibitive, especially when you look at what you get.

How do you know that the fiberglass is going to be strong enough to hold those gorilla fins?

I have a 97 with 3 fins...I would look into upgrading with the older model fins instead of the gorilla fins

I don't think that hull strength will be a factor. Marine Hardware actually sells their fin in a screw mount version - if screws can hold it in place, then I would think that the fiberglass would be plenty strong. Just the same, I plan to through-bolt mine using aluminum backing plates.

I would rather go with the Gorilla fins instead of the three original sized ones to get the performance that Malibu claims they do with the new boats - but this could just be marketing hype!

Friend of mine ripped off of their 03 VLX but could not upgrade to a gorrilla due to not have enough "flat" fiberglass to bolt to.

This is a good point, and why I asked if anyone knows the base demensions of the Gorilla fins in my original post. I've found a fin that I think will work, but I'd like to compare it's demensions to the OEM fins.

Possiblity that it won't fit on your trailer w/ the larger fins also. I believe they make the trailers different for the gorilla fin boats vs. the non-fin boats.

I covered this in my original post - I have 12" of clearance to the trailer, so this should not be an issue.

This has come up quite a few times in the past, so do a search. Basically, while it might be possible, it's extremely cost prohibitive, especially when you look at what you get.

I used the search and found some information which led to my questions. I have not found where anyone has actually gone through with this mod, and really need to know the demensions of the fin bases before ordering them.

Cost prohibitive?? This from a guy who converted a closed bow into an open bow? Tease2.gif

I should be able to do this mod for just the cost of the fins. But you do have a good point - just how much improvement in handling will I see by going from one small fin to two large ones?

As I stated in my original post, I'd really like to know the depth and mounting base demensions of Malibu's "Gorilla" fins to see how they compare to Marine Hardware's "Challenger" fins before ordering. The Challenger fins should fit without any clearance issues, but I'd like to be sure I'll be getting the proven results of the OEM fins.

Well I talked to the folks at Marine Hardware (very helpful) and they do supply the Gorilla fins for Malibu. They term the screw mounted fins "Challenger Fins" while the "Gorilla" fins they make for Malibu are stud mounted - identical in size though. The Gorilla fins will fit my boat without problem, but Skicrave may have been correct when he said this mod could be cost prohibitive.

I spoke with a Malibu dealer who quoted the fins at $250 each, and I'll just say that's a LOT cheaper than Marine Hardware's price. Oh well, if I decide to go through with this mod I'll post some pics.

Does anyone think that the new boats handle $500 better with Gorilla fins??

Another thing to consider...If you through-bolt and happen to hit something just right, you might be looking at a rather large hole in the keel of your boat as opposed to a few smaller ones. Say hello to a quickly sinking boat.

$250 for a tracking fin seems outrageous. I had to replace one on my DD and it was less than $60 for parts. Granted it is a standard sized fin, but the gorillas aren't that much bigger.

I would also go the route of adding the standard sized 2nd and 3rd fin. Better yet, find someone with a VLX with 3 fins and drive it. Then you know what kind of performance to expect. Might be worth the head ache....might not.

You'll also have to remove the floor and fuel tank to install them on your boat, which is going to add time or money (or both).

Definitely not worth it IMHO based on the (small) improvement in handling you're going to notice. If you've got a Wedge, the money would be much better spend on a new floating Wedge. That will make a much bigger difference in the handling.

• 5 months later...

I had gorilla fins installed on my 03 VLX and there were no clearance issues on the trailer and no mounting issues. I think i got them for about 180 each form Pete @ smooth water. and there is a very noticable size difference compared to the standard fin. I'll try to post pics later