Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DOH...sprained my ankle wakeboarding this morning....

spinxt

We had an unexpected opportunity to ski this morning ahead of tropical storm Hanna arriving. The conditions were sweet, not a single boat and no wind. Unfortunately we took our course out due to the prediction of the river rising several feet this weekend on account of all the rain. So, we decided to free ski all morning.

My one buddy (who just got a wakeboard for his birthday), decided we should all take one wakeboard run before heading in for the day. This board was straight out of the box with molded fins and 4 huge removable fins. I knew this had the makings of some nasty falls, but I couldn't convince him to take the fins off. So up came my turn, surprisingly the board edged and jumped pretty well.....that is until I landed awkwardly. The fins prevented the board from "washing out" (which would have resulted in my sliding harmlessly on my a$$). Instead as I landed the board wanted to stay flat in the water but my body was going backward, due to the extreme angle of my body in relation to the board, my feet did not pop out of the bindings properly and my right foot was bent WAY too far forward resulting in the sprain. I can walk, but barely....I can only put about 50% of my weight on it...... Mad.gif grrr

Why do wakeboard manufacturers ship their boards with such ridiculously large fins? These things had to be 2-2-1/2 inches deep and at least 4" inches long. Hell we could use them as tracking fins for the bu'. I understand beginners need stability, but that seems excessive, and can result in injury like mine. I guess in the end it was my fault since I knew better than to go out there and attempt wake-to-wakes with those monsters on there....

Oh well, I'll be out for a week or so.... Cry.gif

I had the same thing happen to me this past week on an old board we had out and were goofing around on after a good footing session. The board had 2.0 fins on it and we could not remove them because of how hard they were on. Anyways had a very similar fall jumping the wake and now I wont be able to ski for a while. But on the bright side I live in Florida and have a decent amount of time before the season is over. Tongue.gif

I had the same thing happen to me this past week on an old board we had out and were goofing around on after a good footing session. The board had 2.0 fins on it and we could not remove them because of how hard they were on. Anyways had a very similar fall jumping the wake and now I wont be able to ski for a while. But on the bright side I live in Florida and have a decent amount of time before the season is over. Tongue.gif

Unfortunately my season ends in 2 months!! Cry.gif

Same thing happened to me this summer - result is a torn ACL and torn meniscus in both knees.

OUCH....were you even able to climb back into the boat? Sorry to hear that.

Same thing happened to me this summer - result is a torn ACL and torn meniscus in both knees.

OUCH....were you even able to climb back into the boat? Sorry to hear that.

I really couldn't get my board off my feet and had to have my son jump in and help. It was definitely a very painful course of events. The landing, getting the board off my feet and just getting from the water to the swim step and then into the boat were a painful process. I can't remember anything I've done that hurt as much as all that. On top of that, were were at Lake Nacimiento and the water there is very low and I had at least a 1/8th mile walk (gimp limp) up a dirt hill to get back to our house.

I think even after I get things fixed, I'm not going wake to wake anymore. Just going to surf from now on. DonJoy makes great braces (I've got 2 of them now)

spinxt, sorry to hear about your spill.

GregS, I haven't seen you on here in a while. Sorry to hear about your accident. That sucks big time. I hope your recovery goes well.