Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1994 malibu echelon lx

chopperdave

1994 malibu echelon lx

my speedos have stopped working also..

i will try cleaning and blowing out tubes with compressor..

just wanted to know if there is anything else i should try with

the 1994 ..............thanks dave

I would suggest blowing from the speedo back to the pitot. Supposedly damage can be done to the speedo by uncontrolled compressed air into the pitot. Now, I've blown air into the pitot to test speedometers during troubleshooting but never let the needle go above 25-30mph or so.

If that doesn't do it, it narrows it down to the pitot, tubing, brass balance (also heard it called ballast) tubes, or the speedo itself. Hopefully not the speedo as they don't make those Airguides that were original in a 94 anymore. I had a bunch of trouble with some 85 MasterCraft speedos and it ended up being the pitots...didn't look broken, but they weren't functioning as they should of. Replaced with the new venturi style pickups from skidim.com and solved the problem.

THANKS MUCH.. FOR INFO DAVE

I would suggest blowing from the speedo back to the pitot. Supposedly damage can be done to the speedo by uncontrolled compressed air into the pitot. Now, I've blown air into the pitot to test speedometers during troubleshooting but never let the needle go above 25-30mph or so.

If that doesn't do it, it narrows it down to the pitot, tubing, brass balance (also heard it called ballast) tubes, or the speedo itself. Hopefully not the speedo as they don't make those Airguides that were original in a 94 anymore. I had a bunch of trouble with some 85 MasterCraft speedos and it ended up being the pitots...didn't look broken, but they weren't functioning as they should of. Replaced with the new venturi style pickups from skidim.com and solved the problem.

And before you take anything apart, clear the pitot hole with a safety pin just to be sure there isn't something obvious plugging it there. Be sure to post your progress and ultimate solution to the problem as well.

And before you take anything apart, clear the pitot hole with a safety pin just to be sure there isn't something obvious plugging it there. Be sure to post your progress and ultimate solution to the problem as well.

Plus1.gif

I use to keep a small hand pump with a short piece of tubing attached to it, on board. I would pull the tubing off the back of the pivot, attach the short piece of tubing from the pump and have at it. There were times that I physically could not pump the pump. When that happened, it was time to get out a needle and clear the pivot manually.

/Steve