Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Season Wind-Down Report

EchelonMike

Yep, winding down for us, we're at the merci of school starting and football practices. My wife and I always get the boat out first in the Spring, just the two of us take it out one day while the kids are still in school. Now we're planning our end of summer cruise, we'll likely go out next week for the last trip of the year, just the two of us now that the kids are back in. We really look forward to our private days out, we usually just find a nice cove, drop the anchor, hit the Sirius and just chill all day long. It is great time for us. This is the bittersweet trip though, being that we'll put the boat away for the Winter when we bring it home.

Sad to hear others are already packing it in already this year, we’ve got much more skiing to do!

No kidding. Sept 1 is only about 60% of the season for me. I guess that's just one of the reasons I've never regretted leaving Illinois 19 years ago.

Last year I got 101 days out at the private pond plus weekends with the family. Of the 101 days, 38 of them came between Sep 1 and Nov 30, and all my PBs were during that time. Upside during this time is usually great conditions, and weekdays no kids so the sets are quicker. And the biggest downside is no kids, I miss them out there and watching them do their thing :)

EDIT: Just saw Slalom Frog's post (and sig), so just have to add, even if the kids want to tube (and not foot, ski or kneeboard) I still would rather have them out there. :) (And yes, we try to be respectful and tube in open water when on the big lakes....good news is on the private pond, it's just us and the waves dissipate quickly for the next set).

Edited by Addictedto6

Summer out at the camp was great for my family. We moved in before Memorial Day and have stayed beyond Labor Day. Moving home this Sunday. The weather hit a bit of a rough patch in July but we were still able to ski a a lot. My 4 year old was constant on the ski skimmer, always wanted to go. He got good at "cutting" back and forth on it. The 6 year old started to learn how to barefoot on the boom a little bit. The best was that he can now consitently drop a ski and ride slalom as long as he wants. The 10 year old improved at the course, doing the full mini course and skiing with nice form. The best part is that she decided to start learning how to trick ski in the past couple of weeks. My wife made much progress with her slalom skiing. A little more work on her offside turn/wake cross and she will be solid on the course at 15' off. She did get the full course once, should have been twice but a loon popped up at 6 ball as she was rounding 5. I set goal of 32' off at the beginning of the season. I am now consistent at 28' off and ran over 6 ball at 32' off/32 mph last night. Not quite a full pass but there is still time. Trick skiing progressed nicely for me this summer. Toe turns and wake toe turns going well

We have put nearly 120 hours on the Bu so far this year and spent a ton of family time in the boat. Back to the house in a day and back to reality. Kids have activities and winter is not far away. I'm hoping to get to Coble's before the season ends to top it all off.

Edited by Slalom Frog
The 6 year old started to learn how to barefoot on the boom a little bit. The best was that he can now consitently drop a ski and ride slalom as long as he wants.....

The 10 year old improved at the course, doing the full mini course and skiing with nice form]

That is awesome!!!!

I am now consistent at 28' off and ran over 6 ball at 32' off/32 mph last night. Not quite a full pass but there is still time.

Instead of slowing down to 32mph at 32off, have you tried a progression loop rope in between 28 and 32 (say at 30' off?). There's been some threads lately on the slalom boards where skiers seem to have better luck advancing that way. Theory being that slowing down that much throws off your gate timing significantly. I've found thanks to some great coaching (thanks skisix@38!) that good, wide gates are the key for me at 32 and 35off, and I would think that big of jump in mph would really mess you up...

Kevin

I am now consistent at 28' off and ran over 6 ball at 32' off/32 mph last night. Not quite a full pass but there is still time.

Instead of slowing down to 32mph at 32off, have you tried a progression loop rope in between 28 and 32 (say at 30' off?). There's been some threads lately on the slalom boards where skiers seem to have better luck advancing that way. Theory being that slowing down that much throws off your gate timing significantly. I've found thanks to some great coaching (thanks skisix@38!) that good, wide gates are the key for me at 32 and 35off, and I would think that big of jump in mph would really mess you up...

Kevin

I have never considered doing an "in between" loop. It's certainly worth considering. The gates don't seem to give be much of a problem between 32 and 34 mph. I've always like being consistent at 32 mph and then moving up. That being said, I'm game for anything that will help me in the course.

Kevin

I have never considered doing an "in between" loop. It's certainly worth considering. The gates don't seem to give be much of a problem between 32 and 34 mph. I've always like being consistent at 32 mph and then moving up. That being said, I'm game for anything that will help me in the course.

here's the thread on ball of spray. I haven't done it yet, but am considering it for getting to 38....

<a href="http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/commen...p;page=1#Item_0" target="_blank">http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/commen...p;page=1#Item_0</a>

EDIT: Calling SkiSix...Calling SkiSix.....what do you think?

Edited by Addictedto6
EDIT: Calling SkiSki...Calling SkiSki.....what do you think?

:unsure: SkiSki? You mean SkiSix? Dontknow.gif

Worked too much this summer. :( didn't get to ski near as much as I would have liked. Cry.gif Oh well, at least now the Wallies and tubers will go away. Clap.gif

EDIT: Calling SkiSki...Calling SkiSki.....what do you think?

:unsure: SkiSki? You mean SkiSix? Dontknow.gif

Worked too much this summer. :( didn't get to ski near as much as I would have liked. Cry.gif Oh well, at least now the Wallies and tubers will go away. Clap.gif

Oooops. Fixed that!

If you're looking for a pull week days, drop me a PM. Should be good to End Nov.....

Edited by Addictedto6
If you're looking for a pull week days, drop me a PM. Should be good to End Nov.....

Thumbup.gif Cool. End of each month is usually the only time I can swing week-days anymore. I can usually get home early enough for evening sets here on our lake. It's just never enough. Biggrin.gif

One more long weekend at the lake next weekend and then I'll likely put the boat away for the winter. I'll pull it back out for maintenance, but we're moving locally the first week of October, and packing/unpacking/repairs, etc with a new-to-us house eats up a lot of time. It looks like we'll have around 50 hours on our boat this summer - and some time on others' boats. Of course, I didn't get out as much as I'd like, but the times we did get out were great!

We had a bad year compared to other years, well seemed to be bad but any year with family in the boat is a good year in reality.

Started out early with the new titan tower, ballast etc had a blast, just as the weather started getting good our lake had a massive oil spill from a under ground pipeline that shut us down for 3 weeks at that lake. The lake was cleaned and we started givener again, wife started surfing and is hooked Thumbup.gif I had my Daugther (4) up on my wakeboard with me, my son 6 still isn't totally into the boat thing, but he is fine with being in the boat so thats where I will leave it for now

I seperated two ribs showing off for my staff that I took out as a summer thanks for the hard work party in Mid August, two weeks before our Shuswap trip Cry.gif The thing that made me the most mad was I landed a big wake to wake at 75 feet with a tail grab it was just the way the boat yanked the slack that got me, nobody in the boat even knew I got hurt until I couldn't get on the swim platform and couldn't get my board off.

Anyway got to the shuswap with overcast and rain all week but managed to get out everyday 2 or 3 times the water was awesome, my 4 year girl old got up on trainers (this was the highlight of my summer Yahoo.gif)

Boat got dock rash...

I spent all week on the surf board being I couldn't do anything else....

Mf wife got hooked to the wakeboard during her daily glass runs and started jumping and liked it!

We still have about 6 weeks as we... correction I wakeboarded until mid Oct, and I am hoping to get out once healthy yet before the season is done

All in all about 100 hrs on the clock and some injuries and downtime but the time we did spend on the lake is priceless...

Already looking forwatd to next spring....Jason