Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

primex vs. silent rider

kknudsen12

We have a '96 RLX with Primex silencers. I was hoping to do something to quiet the boat a bit... I plan to insulate the motorbox, but then was also thinking of doing something with the mufflers and/or exhaust tips. Has anyone gone from the Primex silencers to Silent Riders? If so, I was wondering how much of a difference it would make... maybe it wouldn't be worth the time or cost. Maybe I should look into doing exhaust tips, or just leaving everything as is...? Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

I switched my 03 response from Primex to Silent Riders. It was pretty easy and took a couple of hours. My neighbors love me now. They call it the stealth boat. The hardest thing was getting the old mufflers out. I wrote up a post about it. Search on Silent Riders and you should be able to find it. I don't recall the cost right now, but I put all the part number information in the old post.

Good Luck.

Rip

So I've been thinking, is the only difference between the silent riders and the regular primex mufflers a crossover hose? If that is the case no reason you couldn't just cut and glass the "old" mufflers and put in a cross over line?

I'd love to make my boat quiet, my 04 wakesetter DD had the silent riders, MSST, turn down tips, and motor box insulation and that thing was QUIET. My response had none of that stuff and the thing is loud, but adding all that stuff aftermarket is like $800. So the big question is what makes more of a difference the turn downs or the silent riders?

-Chris

So I've been thinking, is the only difference between the silent riders and the regular primex mufflers a crossover hose? If that is the case no reason you couldn't just cut and glass the "old" mufflers and put in a cross over line?

I'd love to make my boat quiet, my 04 wakesetter DD had the silent riders, MSST, turn down tips, and motor box insulation and that thing was QUIET. My response had none of that stuff and the thing is loud, but adding all that stuff aftermarket is like $800. So the big question is what makes more of a difference the turn downs or the silent riders?

-Chris

I may not have anything to compare to, but I have an 06 VLX with turndowns and I don't think it really makes it any quieter. I'm thinking of putting better mufflers in mine, but I need to research a little before doing it. I'd love to do it myself but I'm not sure how hard it is.

-Chris

I compared the Primex and Silent rider before I installed them and there is a baffle inside that is different on the Silent Rider. I think it is just a diverter so exhaust flows through the cross over. But the two are different inside.

do the silent riders on the RLXi have a crossover pipe, or are they just a direct replacement straight pipe for the Primex? I didn't think on my RLX there was enough room for the crossover. I would love to quiet down the RLX, especially that annoying 1000 - 2200rpm pitch in the cockpit (and i do have the engine box insulation).

do the silent riders on the RLXi have a crossover pipe, or are they just a direct replacement straight pipe for the Primex? I didn't think on my RLX there was enough room for the crossover. I would love to quiet down the RLX, especially that annoying 1000 - 2200rpm pitch in the cockpit (and i do have the engine box insulation).

It has a crossover.

There are two similar boats on our lake, one with Primex silencers and one with Silent Rider exhaust. The Silent Riders are significantly quieter, so if you are thinking of it, it will make a difference as noted above.

Adding a x/o tube to the Primex silencers will not alter the noise level by much at all, it will act like a x/o tube in a car exhaust and add a little torque. The Silent Rider has a lot more noise silencing baffling inside that reduces the exhaust noise level.