Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

´96 Ford GT-40 with high idle

Hi guys! I´m trying to help a buddy of mine out that is habving problems with his boat here in Germany. Told him that the Malibu Crew might have some answers and that I would try it for him. Here´s his deal:

I have a problem with the idle in my 96 Sport Nautique. Here´s what the problem is and what I have tried so far:

The problem started after the boat/motor being damp after some bad weather.(Don´t know if this has anything to do with the problem or not, just thought I should mention it) Took the boat out, and after the engine had been running for a while, the RPM´s went up to approx. 1800 when at idle. The condition got worse over a period of several months so that the engine would run at high RPM´s right after starting when the engine was cold. I have had the boat at 2 different mechanics that haven´t been able to find the problem. First they told me to replace the control unit, which didn´t help, and and we have also replaced the water temp switch and the water temp sender. Nothing has helped yet. Also, when the engine is running, if the water temp switch is removed or disconnected, the RPM´s will drop down to about 800, but not at a steady idle. (RPM´s rock back and forth slowly between 800 and 900)

Anyone ever have a similar problem or know where I should look next?

Thanks,

Lars

My old mustang's Idle Air Contol valve used to get dirty and cause it to idle high. Of course I used to clean it out it with NO2...don't use nitrous to clean out your buddies nautique...unless someone is trying to ski and you post your results on youtube.

I'm guessing it has a carburetor and since disconnecting temp sensor does have an effect like you stated, maybe it's the electric choke on the carb. An electric choke can also open the throttle a bit more on some models to increase RPM to help the warm up.

Dontknow.gif

I'm guessing it has a carburetor and since disconnecting temp sensor does have an effect like you stated, maybe it's the electric choke on the carb. An electric choke can also open the throttle a bit more on some models to increase RPM to help the warm up.

Dontknow.gif

Not so. I believe it is a PCM pro boss GT 40 which is throttle body FI. 94-98 had a silent re- call on the ecm (Power pack). My friend has one in his Hydrodyne and has had a lot of trouble with it but when it runs good it has gobs of usable power. Take it to a PCM dealer as they are quite familiar with its quirks.