Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your help compodres

Air Force 1

I just bought an Acadia and couldn't afford the tow package so I figured I would get an aftermarket hitch. They told me the aftermarket hitch is only rated to 2000 lbs. Would my boat and trailer be more than 2000 lbs? I should also mention I only tow it 1 mile to the ramp so it's not like we do alot of long hauls.

Thanks for your input guys

AF1

I just bought an Acadia and couldn't afford the tow package so I figured I would get an aftermarket hitch. They told me the aftermarket hitch is only rated to 2000 lbs. Would my boat and trailer be more than 2000 lbs? I should also mention I only tow it 1 mile to the ramp so it's not like we do alot of long hauls.

AF1

The trailer alone is about 1000 lbs, even if it's just a single axle, more if it's a tandem.

I'd bet the boat is around 2500 lbs. Or around 3500 combined.

Do you have a manual for the boat?

I think the hitch weight for your boat / trailer combination is somewhere close to 300lbs. I think you will be fine, but would recommend you check with the dealer where you bought the hitch from.

Gibbo

AF1

The trailer alone is about 1000 lbs, even if it's just a single axle, more if it's a tandem.

I'd bet the boat is around 2500 lbs. Or around 3500 combined.

Do you have a manual for the boat?

No I sure don't have a manual. I bought it from a guy in Houston. The trailer is a galvanized Shoreland'r single axle

AF1

AF1

The towing package usually includes a transmission cooler. This usually accounts for the towing limit, but I thought the Acadia was rated at 5000 lbs, If this was the only difference 2000 lbs seems light. I would double check those numbers. If it is only 2000 lbs, I probably wouldn't tow the boat.

Also, the rated towing weight is sometimes higher with boats since they are a little more aerodynamic (my Acura is rated higher when towing a boat as opposed to a camper or other trailer). If it was close, for example rated at 3000 lbs with a 3500 lb boat, I probably wouldn't be concerned about a short 1 or 2 mile drive I would just make sure that the transmission wasn't in "overdrive" (assuming you can shut that off on an Acadia).

Skier or Sunsetter?

According to hull spec charts, they are 2400 & 2850 lbs - dry without trailer.

Trailer = 800 - 1000 lbs for single axle. My Sweetwater with spare is 920. Add in fuel, oil, gear - about another 500 lbs, so you get about 4000 lbs and 4500lbs.

Though any decent trailer shop should have an aftermarket hitch for the Arcadia that supports it's full towing capacity of 4500 lbs - unless the towing package includes transmission cooler, heavier brakes, etc...

Edited by wienrdog

For reference, my 1988 Supra Comp, a similar boat, dry weight was 2200 lbs. Trailer tipped in at just under 1000. For about 16 of the 18 years I had it, the ramp was a mile away. Our variety of Exploders towed it just fine.

As stated, shut off the OD and use caution. You'll most likely be fine.

If you are really only going one mile you could tow a dump truck,

Yep, my little brother used to tow an 88 Prostar 190 on a single axle trailer with a late 90s Subaru Outback...... only about a mile, and never over about 35 mph. It's not ideal, but it is possible.