Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On off hull and bottom cleaner

arsenuts411

Anyone use this stuff I put it on a small area on the hull and holy crap it took every like bit of discoloration from being in the water all season right off. The only thing that was weird is I am not sure if it was just cause it may be an older bottle but it almost was like smoking on the rag. Is this normal I would love to clean the boat bottom with this but do not want to ruin it.

Never heard of that particular brand. I've normally used StarBrite's Hull Cleaner. As I recall it's supposed to be diluted 50/50 with water & sprayed on, then wiped down & hosed off. Then a good wax job is probably in order.

It's also recommended to wear rubber gloves..... mask & goggles can't be a bad idea either.

Never heard of that particular brand. I've normally used StarBrite's Hull Cleaner. As I recall it's supposed to be diluted 50/50 with water & sprayed on, then wiped down & hosed off. Then a good wax job is probably in order.

It's also recommended to wear rubber gloves..... mask & goggles can't be a bad idea either.

alright cool maybe I need to reread the directions again i didnt see it saying to dilute but that was the strongest stuff I ever seen. yeah it burned on my skin a little. Ya I will be wearing gloves mask and safety glasses. yeah it did say to sapray down with water afterward. and then a nice waxing I will be flying down the river.

I have used On Off before the stuff is insane!!! it does smoke which is a little weird... Takes anything off the boat. I ALWAYS wax the boat after I use it.

I cover my trailer with plastic when I use it as well...

I have used On Off before the stuff is insane!!! it does smoke which is a little weird... Takes anything off the boat. I ALWAYS wax the boat after I use it.

I cover my trailer with plastic when I use it as well...

Yeah I know I wouldn't even want to get that stuff on the trailer. that stuff is insane i spent last year scrubbing for days trying to get all that stuff off my hull.

Be very careful with on off that stuff is nasty, its some nasty acid.

You should not get it on paint or at the least water down the trailer first.

Also don't wet the hull first, it works best with no water added. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and go over one more time with the brush (I would never use a rag with this stuff). And wash away.

Also if you spill some on your clothes you will have holes next time you put it through the wash. Can't tell you how many pairs of shorts I killed with this stuff.

-Chris

It will discolor concrete as well if you are not careful! - That is, wherever it hits will be bright compared to the rest of the driveway!

I used the stuff back when I kept a boat in the water all season. I bought a small garden sprayer, covered EVERYTHING I did not want it to hit, wore old clothes, safety glasses, rubber gloves, and a mask. It sprays on very quickly that way, and simply hoses off.

I would guess it is muriatic acid. I use to use a product called Zing ... it was pink and mostly muriatic acid. I now just buy the stuff at Lowes and diluted 50/50 with water (or as needed). Doesn't need to stay on long. Does smoke and will eat clothing or your rag. Wear rubber gloves and use plenty of water to rinse. Especially the carpet on the bunks.

It does not hurt painted metal but will discolor exposed metal, so be careful what you get it on. It will take off the black on the swim platform brackets.

/Steve

i use it on my Center Console all the time. leave it on for about a minute, then spray off. gets just about anything off.

Be very careful using it near decals, i wiped the U right off my old BU with it.

Anyone use this stuff I put it on a small area on the hull and holy crap it took every like bit of discoloration from being in the water all season right off. The only thing that was weird is I am not sure if it was just cause it may be an older bottle but it almost was like smoking on the rag. Is this normal I would love to clean the boat bottom with this but do not want to ruin it.

its muratic acid.

• Like 1

I use a squeegy that you use on your windshield with an extendable handle. I apply dry and with the sponge side and immediately follow with a good rinse down, and yes, I always wax afterwards!

Starbites hull cleaner uses Oxalic Acid. Use full strength, spray on let sit and scrub off. I water down the trailer before and then fully wash down the hull, trailer and driveway. Use a polish and then carnuba wax.

Slimy Grimy is good as well. They all use Oxalic acid, which is the same stuff your wife swears by - in OxyClean.

I find you don't need the concentrations these things come in. I dilute the Slimy Grimy powder to a fraction of what it says on the bottle and it still works just as well. It IS important to water down the bunks and the rest of the trailer beforehand, as this stuff can hurt the bunk carpets pretty quick. Do exactly what Malibudude said and all should be fine!

Starbites hull cleaner uses Oxalic Acid. Use full strength, spray on let sit and scrub off. I water down the trailer before and then fully wash down the hull, trailer and driveway. Use a polish and then carnuba wax.
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to bring back a 9 month old thread, but after using the Marikate On and Off Hull Cleaner. I just have to say WOW!!!!! It took off all the junk on the bottom with ease and the yellow water line I could not get off seemed to melt away. I put it on with an extended window washer thing from the HD. and pressure washed it off. I only wish my whole boat was white, the white is sooooo bright. I am sure there are other great products, but this one worked wonders for me. Sorry I did not think of it but should have had the camera for some before and after pics. FYI I have no ties to this product, just very happy. Clap.gif

Edited by lf133

I use muratic acid, it works great, cheap too. Takes everything off, then polish & wax and you're good to go.

However, now the rudder is discolored. The prop and fins shine nice, but the rudder has a reddish hue to it. What can I use to clean the rudder back up?

I think I will stick to Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic to get the Willamette scum off of the boat. It works well, is cheap, and doesn't sound like it is as nasty to work with as this stuff.

• Like 1

The Starbite hull cleaner is all I've ever used and it works. My boat sits in the water all summer so every week or so I trailer it and give it a good cleaning and a wax. The On Off cleaner I've never used.

• 12 years later...
On 5/18/2009 at 11:31 AM, Michigan boarder said:

I use muratic acid, it works great, cheap too. Takes everything off, then polish & wax and you're good to go.

However, now the rudder is discolored. The prop and fins shine nice, but the rudder has a reddish hue to it. What can I use to clean the rudder back up?

I know this is a old thread but we just had our boat exterior detailed and the guy who did it cleaned the hull with starbrite. Now our rudder and brackets for wedge have the same reddish hue you are talking about. I’m curious if you ever figured out how to clean those back to normal again. Thanks! 

12 minutes ago, iridemalibu94 said:

I know this is a old thread but we just had our boat exterior detailed and the guy who did it cleaned the hull with starbrite. Now our rudder and brackets for wedge have the same reddish hue you are talking about. I’m curious if you ever figured out how to clean those back to normal again. Thanks! 

I usually don't do anything to it.  But, if you really want to, you can hit it with a wire wheel on a drill and it will shine right up.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2021 at 7:32 PM, electricjohn said:

I still use Tony's tonic to this day. Will be making another batch shortly.

I guess I need to look up this recipe, I missed this one throughout the years.  I could definitely use this with the muddy Maumee Toledo, OH river we are on.

3 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I guess I need to look up this recipe, I missed this one throughout the years.  I could definitely use this with the muddy Maumee Toledo, OH river we are on.

This thread (5th post) shows the recipe as a 50:50 mix of Lysol regular toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide; a later thread says to use the regular blue toilet cleaner, not anything with chlorine in it.

Be very careful mixing, storing, and using this stuff.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justgary said:

This thread (5th post) shows the recipe as a 50:50 mix of Lysol regular toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide; a later thread says to use the regular blue toilet cleaner, not anything with chlorine in it.

Be very careful mixing, storing, and using this stuff.

You have to be sure to get the Lysol TB cleaner with 9.5% HCL (hydrochloric acid), not the alkyl or bleach. Three different color bottles.

• Like 3