Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dimensions under floor

Jimmypooh

I'm hoping to install some new tanks in my 06 VLX, but I don't want to take up storage space. Does anyone know the dimensions under the floor to put ballast? I could rip up the floor myself but I thought I'd ask in case someone knows already. Thanks guys and gals

And also, this is the first Malibu I've owned (major upgrade from my 69 Stuery). I have the MLS center and sides. Does anyone know how much they each hold?

So your planning to rip up the floor of a two year old boat? Ouch.

I believe the floor is full of flotation foam. So you will need to spend some time digging that out to make room for tanks. And of course it wouldn't meet any CG regulations any more.

I believe the rear tanks are 250 lbs each. And the center is 400.

So your planning to rip up the floor of a two year old boat? Ouch.

I believe the floor is full of flotation foam. So you will need to spend some time digging that out to make room for tanks. And of course it wouldn't meet any CG regulations any more.

I believe the rear tanks are 250 lbs each. And the center is 400.

Is it that tough to pull up the floor? It looks to me like it's a bunch of screws. I thought about getting some hard tanks to fit in the bottom of the back storage (take up half the space) and being able to use the rest of the space as storage. I would appreciate any creative ideas for ballast that's out of the way.

Never tried it. And have never seen anyone do it on any new boats. Although numerous boats are made with tanks in the floor..... including (I thought) the newer VLX & LSV (??)

But seeing the various construction pictures on this website I believe the floor is somewhat structural to the hull integrity. Looks like the floor is layed down, then it's filled with foam.

So I imagine it will be a quite the task. It may involve the removal of the seat bases in the rear of the boat. Then the removal &/or cutting of the floor. Then reassembly.

Would definitely be creative.

I'm hoping to install some new tanks in my 06 VLX, but I don't want to take up storage space. Does anyone know the dimensions under the floor to put ballast? I could rip up the floor myself but I thought I'd ask in case someone knows already. Thanks guys and gals

And also, this is the first Malibu I've owned (major upgrade from my 69 Stuery). I have the MLS center and sides. Does anyone know how much they each hold?

So you are wanting to take out the factory 250# tank and install a bigger one that goes half way up the storage comp? Seems like it would be easier to install the old school factory above the floor tanks in addition to the under floor tanks and plumb them together. You might be able to find some of those tanks around.

So you are wanting to take out the factory 250# tank and install a bigger one that goes half way up the storage comp? Seems like it would be easier to install the old school factory above the floor tanks in addition to the under floor tanks and plumb them together. You might be able to find some of those tanks around.

I'm thinking the second of your options is best. Less work is better if you ask me, especially if it keeps me on the water more. Would you think hard tanks are best so I can still store things on top of them? Would I need to build a shelf in the lockers to put things on or are the tanks sturdy enough to handle some minor weight?

Does anyone have pictures of how much space thier setup takes in the rear lockers? I guess I don't need a ton of space because I'm not on the boat all day, but I just like getting all the gear off the floor.

I had the above floor hard tanks. They take up about half of the outside of the locker. Not much useable room on top of the tank. Very hard to work in the engine area for maintenance etc. I couldn't store boards in the lockers with the bindings on them. All in all a PITA. I removed the hard tanks and plumbed in 750 lb Prox sacs with quick connects and haven't regretted it once. If we are going out surfing, I don't even put a sac in the starboard side, we use it totally for storage. I still store non plumbed pumps and ropes on top of the sacs when they are full. Hard tanks above the rear floor are just not the best way to approach a ballast system IMO.

I agree with Ronnie on not wanting the hard tanks in the locker. The only resaon i brought it up was because i thought that was what you were wanting. We have the factory tanks and a 400# pro-x on top. We just tried out a 750 for the first time this weekend and it is on the list of must haves. Thumbup.gif

I agree with Ronnie on not wanting the hard tanks in the locker. The only resaon i brought it up was because i thought that was what you were wanting. We have the factory tanks and a 400# pro-x on top. We just tried out a 750 for the first time this weekend and it is on the list of must haves. Thumbup.gif

You have pretty much convinced me to go with the 750 bag. Did you plumb in new lines and pumps or did you just use the drain or vent line from the stock ballast? I'll probably just start with one on the port side as none of the experienced riders we pull ride goofy. All of the newbies will be required to learn regular.

You also said something about a quick connect. Where would I find that? I use my boat a lot for just going out to sandbars and swimming, not just pulling so I would like to be able to pull the bags out if possible.

You have pretty much convinced me to go with the 750 bag. Did you plumb in new lines and pumps or did you just use the drain or vent line from the stock ballast? I'll probably just start with one on the port side as none of the experienced riders we pull ride goofy. All of the newbies will be required to learn regular.

You also said something about a quick connect. Where would I find that? I use my boat a lot for just going out to sandbars and swimming, not just pulling so I would like to be able to pull the bags out if possible.

If you plan on moving it around and or taking it out then just by the 1200gph pump to go with the sac, we love ours it is super fast.