Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seaplanes messing up your runs? :)

UberXY

You guys get many seaplanes on your lakes? There is a guy who lands one of these once in a while just outside of our cove on Lake Anna. Sometimes he gets out and fishes off the wing. I can beat him on the hole shot...

Ub

07 21 LSV Sunscape

800px-Grumman_HU-16B_Albatross.jpg

A couple years ago we had one land on our home lake.

Some one posted

a couple months ago. This video was taken during all the big fires in Northern California, and the plane is landing on Lake Shasta.
You guys get many seaplanes on your lakes? There is a guy who lands one of these once in a while just outside of our cove on Lake Anna. Sometimes he gets out and fishes off the wing. I can beat him on the hole shot...

Ub

07 21 LSV Sunscape

Is that Lake Anna, Virginia? I have a brother that just built a house there...I will have to ask him if he has seen the plane!

Ub

07 21 LSV Sunscape

Is that Lake Anna, Virginia? I have a brother that just built a house there...I will have to ask him if he has seen the plane!

I would think the Air Force would be very interested in someon fishing out of their plane! Of course that's assuming it's still in commission.

Ub

07 21 LSV Sunscape

I would think the Air Force would be very interested in someon fishing out of their plane! Of course that's assuming it's still in commission.

I was out there on sunday and saw the plane. Was pretty cool to see that at lake anna. My kids loved it.

If this is a active Air Force plane the pilot and crew could get themselves in more trouble than they could stand. I served in the Air Force 20+ years and have seen flight crews get discharged for doing things like this.

I used to see some on the Willamette River occasionally, but the guy I used to see died a few years ago when the wing on his plane fell off and he crashed and was killed. I think he was in his 80's or something and was supposed to be a foremost seaplane instructor. There was also one that was practicing takeoffs and landings a number of years ago and in the process split a canoe in two that they didn't see resulting in a fatality.

We get a lot of planes on our small lake in the spring and fall, the reason being we have a nice area where they can change the pontoons/tires out. Once they have the tires on in the fall it's a straight shot down the public access road westward into the wind.

You don't have to believe this but.......Years ago while on a missions trip to South America, in a ridiculus reponse to a challenge of my manhood, I skied behind a float plane on the Amazon River. It was a blast ( by blast I mean that the propwash blasted those water droplets at me in a big way...ouch). There is pictoral evidence somewhere in a box in my attic.

Oh the things we do to carry the gospel to the world!

There's a guy with a seaplane that lives on the river where we keep our boat. He takes off and lands right over our heads all the time. It's pretty cool to see the plane coming in 50 ft over your head and landing out in front of you. He's very respectful to the boaters on the river though and has never been a problem. It's always fun to watch the takeoffs and landings.

Ub

07 21 LSV Sunscape

Yep, I see that plane a few times every summer. They were flying very low right over our cove last weekend. My house is just N of Emery point where the plane parked most of the day.

Where are you located? I would love a chance to surf behind your boat.

LMK

Andy

If this is a active Air Force plane the pilot and crew could get themselves in more trouble than they could stand. I served in the Air Force 20+ years and have seen flight crews get discharged for doing things like this.

Don't be such a party pooper. Even active duty personnel get to take breaks, after 20yrs in the air farce you should know that. Whistling.gif

A couple years ago we had one land on our home lake.

Some one posted

a couple months ago. This video was taken during all the big fires in Northern California, and the plane is landing on Lake Shasta.

That plane is actually still there. It had to make an emergency landing and they are still working on it. we saw it this weekend. Its on the west side of I-5. pretty cool looking

We have a Lake Amphibian based on our lake, another ultralight float plane (someone ski'ed behind it on combos in a show), and a couple of helicopters. The guy with the L-A is extra-ordinarily courteous in terms of traffic on the water as they have to obey the same laws boaters do once they are wet. He definitely doesn't get anywhere near our slalom course since it poses a lot of risk to his aircraft as well. Noise from early morning run-up/takeoffs is probably a bigger issue for some. One of these planes is a huge investment so they really aren't going to do anything dumb with it.

Is that Lake Anna, VA? I get down there a couple times a year.

It's a big quiet lake that plane is no bother. I would worry more about them crazy skyskier guys.