Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hose from exhaust manifold

Ok, I found this today. It is from a hose at the rear of the exhaust manifold. It looks like it melted shut. Anyone know what it is and should it be like that? Also, where do I get a new one? I think maybe it is where a shower would hook into.

m_d060dc46ef88e9e36417f0cc05aa3d45.jpg

l_89c8c3e5f4587a9d067858bc06e219e8.jpg

On my '01, there are 2 hoses (one from each manifold) that are connected through a plastic hose connect that sits about on top of the transmission. It looks like one of those hose connections.

Edited by wienrdog

It's there to provide circulation on the low side of the manifold and so you can drain the manifolds (winterization). My plastic fitting started leaking this year so I ran a new direct hose between the manifolds.

It looks like yours got pretty hot for some reason.

Edited by CTSunsetter

And it won't be a real issue until you (or someone else) needs to drain the manifolds during winterization, disconnects it and can't drain that one side. There doesn't need to be any flowage through there while running the engine.

Just hit the hardware store and pick up some new ones for a few bucks and put them on there in place of the existing ones. 15 minute job tops.

Mike

Hmmm....my '01 has the same hose for draining, but it must have different fittings because I can't picture that fitting anywhere on that hose. Mine has a brass garden hose connection between the two manifolds.

I should probably amend my previous post. Assuming there's nothing leaking when the hose is put back on that fitting you'll be fine. If it is leaking fix it so you're not dumping water into the bilge. But it's such a trivial fix, just DIY now and put it behind you.

One other thought... my buddies cracked on him this summer and obviously started spewing water. He fixed it with a brass connection. If it was heat damage that did that as it appears, the rest of the fitting might be weaker now as well and be more likely to fail.

Mike

completely off topic. i have never installed a shower in my boat because i have FWC, and i would have to buy the much more expensive HeaterCraft unit with the heat exchanger. I wonder if I could steal hot water from this hose instead of from the engine? Maybe its not hot enough? any thoughts.

completely off topic. i have never installed a shower in my boat because i have FWC, and i would have to buy the much more expensive HeaterCraft unit with the heat exchanger. I wonder if I could steal hot water from this hose instead of from the engine? Maybe its not hot enough? any thoughts.

I suspect it would be plenty hot, I'm just not sure there is enough water flow would come from there?

I suspect it would be plenty hot, I'm just not sure there is enough water flow would come from there?

that was my thought too. maybe i'll pull the livewell or washdown pump out of my Center Console just to see how that works, if there is enough flow, then i'll go for a real shower.

i would hesitate to pull(divert) any water from the flow through the rubber exhaust hoses.

the water is the only coolant that keeps the rubber from making that stinky smell.

related; i would be wondering how the connector got hot enough to break down.

if you are melting that plastic then the rubber exhaust hose may not be far from a melt down, too.

Ok, I found this today. It is from a hose at the rear of the exhaust manifold. It looks like it melted shut. Anyone know what it is and should it be like that? Also, where do I get a new one? I think maybe it is where a shower would hook into.

m_d060dc46ef88e9e36417f0cc05aa3d45.jpg

l_89c8c3e5f4587a9d067858bc06e219e8.jpg

That looks to me like the quick disconnect to drain the manifolds. however It apears to have gotten quite hot. Could you possibly have a cracked heat exchanger. I replaced mine on my 00 response with 5/8" hose connector and two clamps.

Good luck.

Cracked heat exchanger??? I don't have a closed cooling system. Am I missing something?

Sorry maybe I miss spoke. I meant internal crack in exhaust manifold. Sorry for the confusion.