Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How not to load a boat at the ramp

the_dude

Seems like they would have been better off collecting people to climb onto the back of the pickup and sink it.

Did you see that truck? Im pretty sure that Jetski was pushing the tow limit. Hahaha adding people in the back on dry land wouldnt budge that truck... Just kidding

first, that truck is too small for that boat...

agreed, that is a big azz boat, even for a 1/2 ton.....wonder what that boat weighs?

never seen a pickup 'come out' of park!

imagine the phone call to the auto insurance agent...

Looks like a Nissan Titan. Without the tow package it can tow 7500#, with the tow package it jumps to 9500#. I would guess the guy bought the Titan because it CAN tow that amount of weight, so likely he had the tow package.

I have a Titan, and it pulls like a bad dog for a gasser. I have the tow package on mine, and it pulls my boat effortlessly (other than sucking down the petrol like the aforementioned bad dog).

I don't think that boat looks that big, it just looks bigger when it is on top of the water and the truck is below the water :unsure:

..some quick Googling shows that the 2008 Sea Ray 26' cuddy cabin has a dry weight of 7900#. The boat in the picture doesn't look to me to be 26' if you use the guy in it as a gauge.

Edited by jayjoans

I have seen two boats float the tow vehicle into the water in my lifetime and it is sickening to watch (fortunately, not my own or anyone I know personally). I am not sure what the best way to load and unload is, but, when loading the boat, I usually keep the throttle in gear on the boat until we are moving forward out of the water, except in the rare occasion when I am alone and have no choice. I figure 330 horses in the boat will prevent the truck from sliding back into the water, even if it loses traction for some freak reason. I also usually don't lock the boat on the trailer until it is out of the water. When dropping off, I usually unhook the boat before the trailer tires get wet (I don't use bunk spray). I have read the threads on here where members have had boats slide off early, but I have always been more worried about the boat floating the truck into the water in the event of a freak traction loss than the boat coming off the rails prematurely. I guess its pick your poison.

Also, that is good advice to clear the tow vehicle of passengers. We usually do that as well, but I am going to make it a firm rule from now on.

I have a buddy who tows a 23' LSV with a Nissan Titan over the Siskiyous to Shasta every year without any problem. Think that boat is heavier than an LSV?

Doubt it.

I seen an late model tacoma with a massive bayliner on the back do something similar, except he put it in park when he got out, and the foot brake on. The weight of the unfloated bayliner on a steep incline caused the ebrake to fail, and the force of it ripped straight through the synchros in the trans.

I have a buddy who tows a 23' LSV with a Nissan Titan over the Siskiyous to Shasta every year without any problem. Think that boat is heavier than an LSV?

Doubt it.

Not sure what an LSV weighs, but I have towed our SSLX with plenty of vehicles, from my '89 C1500 to a myriad of K1500 suburbans, to a 2wd S-10 (once- just to see if it could... it can't) and a Diesel F350. A half-ton 'burb or expedition is about as light a vehicle I would care to tow our boat with, even though they are advertised with a 10k tow rating. I wouldn't tow an LSV with a half-ton. Max tow rating is almost always with a weight-distributing hitch, which I don't think too many of our boats are equipped with, and a single occupant in the (otherwise empty) vehicle. I tow a 27' bayliner to/from the river for a friend in the spring and fall with my F350, and it is plenty of load to get your attention.

Past about 6,000#, a half ton has no business pulling it- ratings or not.

Malibu doesn't seem to list weights anymore on the spec link on their site, but a cached page from google shows a 23 LSV at 3800# dry. add 55 gallons of fuel for another 330# and a couple hundred pounds of gear and I'd say 4500# would be a reasonable number. Now add (conservatively) 1500# for the trailer. You're at 6,000#, give-or-take some stuff in the boat and the weight of the trailer.

Tow rating on a '09 tahoe with a 3.73 gear and the towing package is 7,200#, and every "max tow" rating I've ever seen is when equipped with a weight-distributing hitch. It also accounts for an *empty* vehicle, save for the driver. Every pound in the tow vehicle is a pound you can't pull. Finding a weight-carrying tow rating has proven difficult, but my guess would be that it is somewhere in the 5,000-5,500 range, IME.

So yeah, I'd say your pushing your tahoe with an LSV. I know I wouldn't care to pull a boat that big with a truck that size. Even a half-ton burb (same chassis) is rated higher due to the longer wheelbase. An excursion, suburban 2500, *maybe* a 1500 'burb or expedition "el" (or whatever they call it) would be my choice if I were pulling a boat that big and an SUV were a necessity. That's a LOT of boat for such a short wheel base.

By contrast, my crewcab 350 has ratings of 10,000 weight carrying and 12,000 weight distributing, so long as you don't go over 20,000 total and 9,900 on the truck. It doesn't even know our SSLX is back there, which is just how I like it.

Best of luck with your new boat!!

Edited by EZSnow
So you think my Z-71 Tahoe is to small to pull my LSV?

That depends on how smart you are. No offense, but some people can safely tow an LSV with a 1/2 ton truck, and some should not try.

I am currently towing my LSV with a 05 Durango. Stepped down out of Ram 2500 diesel because of financial reasons. The Durango (which has a tow ability generally on par with your truck) has plenty of horsepower, and the transmission is strong enough (same one used in gas 3/4 ton trucks). The two problems are the size of the tow vehicle and braking performance.

I think Malibu was either optimistic in the weight of an LSV, or it was truly a bare boat. I noticed when I bought my 06 that the SS 23 w/o tower was listed at the same weight as the LSV. Also - that number is with the base engine, the HH probably is little heavier in mine. My dealer estimated my boat weight at closer to 4500 plus fuel and gear, which makes it about 5100 plus trailer puts me in the ballpark of 7K.

Wit the diesel 2500 it was nothing to pull. With the Durango, it is a load. It will push the Durango around the road, and panic stops are truly panic stops.

I have severely adjusted my driving habits. For example with the diesel, I thought nothing of running with traffic, even up to 80 mph when road conditions allowed. I will never do that with the Durango. I will let it hit 70 mph on long downhills that are straight with good run out at the end IF no one is around, but otherwise it sticks closer to 60. I stay way off other people and give lots of following distance. The Durango will do the job for now, until I can get another larger truck.

So you think my Z-71 Tahoe is to small to pull my LSV?

naaa... I pull my lsv loaded down big time and dont have any problems.... gas mileage really sucks but dont run the hell out of it and youll be fine.

153Large.jpg

Edited by kentjina

Yea i mean i def. feel it back there especially when im getting up to speed, but once im going it seems fine. I can feel it pushing a little when I brake, but as long as i dont ride peoples bumpers i should be alright. I only have to pull about 50 miles to get it to the lake.

Someone mentioned something about towing 10k pounds with a Expedition or Titan. I would say that is very dangerous. The new Toyota Tundra with 381 HP is rated with a max tow capacity of 10k lbs. BUT, that is only with a long bed, goose neck trailer setup. I did a ride and drive when they first launched Tundra, and in my opinion, there is no way a Expedition or Titan can tow any where close to 10k lbs.

I tow my LSV with a '06 Sequoia and it gives it hell. I think the LSV on the trailer is much closer to 6500 lbs. I towed 5k lbs before and it didnt feel like this!!

Very nice boat, the red and black looks great.