Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HH with ZF 45 C odd noise

colobuskier

Every once and a while (more often now) when engaging the transmission there is a raspy noise like metal against metal coming from the bell housing portion of the drive train. I am guessing that it has something to do with the damper plate and something being a little loose. I have replaced the fluid and adjusted the linkage with no effect. In trying to find any info on this or any parts I have been unsuccessful. Can anybody point me in the right direction for finding re-placement parts or advice on what the cause of the noise might be?

Thanks

i would say people may "believe" it is a warranty issue because of the year of your boat. and considering 1 of the reply's u got was actually from a malibu dealer,,you might look into it being a "warranty issue"

Odered a new damper plate from skidim.com. Apparently the HH (6.2 litre) uses the same plate as the 5.7 litre GM engines. I'll let you know if it does when I take it appart to replace. Thanks for all the feedback, unfortunately the warrenty time is all used up and this is a fix I would rather do myself to try and ensure it doesn't have to go back for the same thing. Any advice on ensuring that the angles all stay the same other than wedging the engine so it remains in place? Also is it a good idea to replace all of the damper plate bolts? Any advice would be appreciated from those that have done this fix before.

Edited by colobuskier

I had a noise coming from my tranny and thought it might be the damper plate also. Spoke with the techs a skidim.com and they said that improper engine alignment can cause the noise because it is putting excess load on your tranny.

I have been watching the gyrations over this topic with DeltaWake and his inability up to now to get Indmar to cover his expense. I have a lot of hours on my boat also and do not need the headache and time to go through the same fight when it appears covering the warrenty is really at their discretion. Principle is a great thing except for when it takes more time and effort than it would take to fix the original problem. Thanks to everyone though for making sure that I was aware of the inteneded Indmar warrenty policy.

I've seen a few people here have replaced the damper plate on their boats. Anybody know were to point me to get the torque specs for all the bolts for this little proceedure? Also anywhere were there may be a good description of any "oddities" in the proceedure. BTW I have the new damper plate and it does not appear to have any springs just some very large rubber cushions and a large rubber mounted spline center piece. From the look of it it would appear to turn all the time with the engine and assorb the hydraulic load via the rubber bushing as the tranny is switched in.

Thanks for any help here.

I've seen a few people here have replaced the damper plate on their boats. Anybody know were to point me to get the torque specs for all the bolts for this little proceedure? Also anywhere were there may be a good description of any "oddities" in the proceedure. BTW I have the new damper plate and it does not appear to have any springs just some very large rubber cushions and a large rubber mounted spline center piece. From the look of it it would appear to turn all the time with the engine and assorb the hydraulic load via the rubber bushing as the tranny is switched in.

Thanks for any help here.

Just a bump to see if anyone can help

• 3 weeks later...