Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just quit

dstiebohr

I need some advise (help). I was running all afternoon on Saturday with no issues pulling tubers and wakeboarding. I decided to take one high speed run to clear out the system a little. When I slowed down for a few big wakes the engine just died. There does not appear to be any spark (does not fire at all). I have purchased an inline spark tester to test the coil and the rotor, but I would appreciate any other advise out there. The boat is a Sunsetter LXi. Also, does anyone know where the fuel filter is on this boat? I assume it is under the rear locker floor board.

Thanks,

Make sure the kill switch lanyard is fully inserted and the contacts are making good contact.

Thanks. I did that as well, in fact I am going to make a jumper cable tonight to bypass the awitch to make sure it is working properly.

Does the motor turn over? Or does nothing at all happen when you turn the key?

Do the gauges react when you try to start it?

The motor turns over fine and all gauges react as normal. I also can hear the fuel pump prime.

Fuel filter should be between the back seat & the fake wall at the front of the trunk. It's typically mounted to the back of the seat just above the fuel shut-off valve. It's a real pain to find & remove all the screws in the trunk wall. When I re-installed them, I used finishing washers to make them easy to find next time around.

Make sure the kill switch lanyard is fully inserted and the contacts are making good contact.

Thanks. I did that as well, in fact I am going to make a jumper cable tonight to bypass the awitch to make sure it is working properly.

The switch is normally open, so don't connect the wires to test it, simply unplug one. If the dash comes to life with the switch on, the kill switch is working properly. If the dash does not come to life, check the kill switch first.

Peter

are u getting spark at the plugs?? may also look at the ignition control module. located at the distributor cap. when they go out,,,your engine turns over fine,,,,but u arent getting any spark at the plugs

are u getting spark at the plugs?? may also look at the ignition control module. located at the distributor cap. when they go out,,,your engine turns over fine,,,,but u arent getting any spark at the plugs

I am not getting any spark. I picked up an inline tester last night and I do not have any spark what so ever, including between the coil and the distributer. I am going to try to locate a new coil and give that a try, although every mechanic I have spoken with is 100% sure that the problem is not the coil.

Thank you for everyones help on this.

i strongly suggest u look into the ignition control module. definately starting to sound like that is a strong possibility. it is a easy change out. its located under the distributor cap and i believe it has 2 "plugs" into it. can change it in about 5 minutes.

The same thing happened to me about 4 years ago. It was the Ignition Module. I am almost betting on that is your problem.

I just wanted to close this post by saying it was the ignition control module. I also found that purchasing an Ohm Meter can help save some time as well.

Thank you to everyone who offered up help. The best thing that came from this problem (opportunity) is that I found this website. I have found over the past few days that there is a lot of valuable information being shared.