Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at '08 23 LSV - First Tow Boat Questions??

Five Cent Worth

Guys - great web site. I am a member at others and this one is as good as if not better.

To give everyone a little history I am looking at coming from the go fast market into the tow boat market. My boating style has changed drastically since I have moved to LKN about a year ago. No need to over night on the boat and plow through the Lake Erie chop. The needs now are surrounded around haning out, holding a bunch of people and a sweet stereo coupled with a cool looking boat. We also plan on doing lots of surfing but I doubt any wake boarding.

After looking at many I/O's, Centurion, Correct Craft and a few others - I think I like the 23 LSV the best. My babe and I demoed the 23 this past Saturday and it no doubt has the most room which is my number one driver. Demo seems to go very good but I haev little to compare to since this is my first time in a tow boat. My local dealer also seems pretty good so far (no pressure, knowledgable, etc...) and they have 5 - 6 '08's still to choose from.

Here are my questions that I think everyone can help me with:

* How do these boats ride in the chop? I am coming from a 25ft boat with a 24 deg deadrise and we are on LKN. Am I going to kill everyone that rides with me around the lake on Saturday's? There was no chop when we were out early Saturday morning.

* Is the 23 under powered with the 383 340 hp in it?

* A 3 year warranty is very impressive - are we seeing any major issues with the '08's?

* How bad is the premenant carpet? I currently have snap out and there is no better way to keep your boat from smelling like poop then just taking the wet carpet out. Biggest draw back I saw on teh entire boat.

* I rack store - any one have any expeirence with taking the tower up and down all summer?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Mike

We just bought an 08 23 LSV and we absolutely love it.

Chop - We haven't ridden in a 25ft, but we could comfortably do 28-30 mph without worrying about a rough ride. Rides better than any other boat I've ridden before.

Standard 340 HP - I would feel that it's underpowered. We've got the 400 HP Hammerhead and with the wedge in full wake size position, it takes a little while to plane and get up to speed. 450 would be nice, but an 8.1 L is way to big IMO. I think most would agree the hammerhead 400 HP is the better engine option of the three.

Warranty Issues: - we've found everything to be great except the stereo. The problem is when playing ipods. The versions pre ipod touch and classic will all work, but any of the new ones do not work. Rep from malibu has confirmed that with me. Also, you cannot choose playlists, artists, genres or any of that from the stereo. It chooses the first song and plays them one after another. We did have issues where it would play a few, then crap out, and not change songs. That was when using a USB drive. After a few tries or removing and reinstalling the drive, it didn't happen anymore. as some advice, keep your usb limit to 1GB. that will work best for you.

Permanent Carpet - Ours didn't come with any inserts, but we will be purchasing some in the spring. It's too hard to put the boat away and have the carpet wet and this WILL happen. Can you say mold?

I haven't had any experience with taking the tower down, but I was fiddling around with one of the pins and I couldn't get it to budge. Someone else can probably help you more out on it.

All in all the boat is awesome. You won't be disappointed

* How do these boats ride in the chop? I am coming from a 25ft boat with a 24 deg deadrise and we are on LKN. Am I going to kill everyone that rides with me around the lake on Saturday's? There was no chop when we were out early Saturday morning.

Boat will feel rough to you but will be above average for a wakeboat. Your expectations coming off an open water boat will be the real problem but the short answer is that the LSV 23' will handle the chop of an inland lake fine.

* Is the 23 under powered with the 383 340 hp in it?

The 383 has 400 hp. The Monson has 340. Again, your expectations coming off your open water boat will be the problem here. The 383 will do more than everything is was built for BUT will that be to your liking; don't know?

* A 3 year warranty is very impressive - are we seeing any major issues with the '08's?

There have been a few electrical recals that your delear should have already resolved by the time you take delivery.

* How bad is the premenant carpet? I currently have snap out and there is no better way to keep your boat from smelling like poop then just taking the wet carpet out. Biggest draw back I saw on teh entire boat.

You can get removable capet saver to go over the other carpet. Snap out carpet is definitely better but I haven't had any issues will my glued in capet yet.

* I rack store - any one have any expeirence with taking the tower up and down all summer?

Depends which tower. I'm assuming you mean the illusion. It is a "process" - bit of a PITA in MHO - but defintely doable.

BTW, if your dealer has any 247's you may want to look at those too.

couple things to keep in mind when coming from a go-fast boat:

- wakeboats are slow, cruising speed is mid-high 20's and you'll top out somewhere around 40

- it isn't going to handle the chop nearly as well. the 23 and 247 are some of the best in the wakeboat category but they will be nowhere near your baja. you most likely won't want to be "bombing" across the lake. not that the boat can't do it, but it won't be nearly as comfortable as the baja.

those are the main 2 points I'd keep in mind. if your serious about buying ask your dealer to take you on a demo mid-day so you can see how it handles the rough. I don't know LKN but I've seen days Havasu(Arizona) where you wouldn't feel safe going out on the lake so I don't know if I would stand by the "can handle the chop of an inland lake" statement 100%

Thanks for the feedback. A few things to add to my orginal post to clear up.

100% okay with not being able to do 55 mph over 2 footers. The babe and I would rather have 12 people in the boat cranking tunes doing some surfing and hanging out. I'll sign today for the right deal.

All boats that my dealer has are the 340 hp versions. They are coming to look at a potential trade offer tomorrow. Will be crunching the number from there.

:Rockon:Here is the prefered one:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Mal...setter-93138926

Thanks for all the great feedback! Keep it coming! Rockon.gif

- it isn't going to handle the chop nearly as well. the 23 and 247 are some of the best in the wakeboat category but they will be nowhere near your baja. you most likely won't want to be "bombing" across the lake. not that the boat can't do it, but it won't be nearly as comfortable as the baja.

I don't know LKN but I've seen days Havasu(Arizona) where you wouldn't feel safe going out on the lake so I don't know if I would stand by the "can handle the chop of an inland lake" statement 100%

This is what I was thinking too. I have never gotten wet in my boat on LKN like I have on Erie though. I think that I have my mind (and more importantly the babe's) wrapped around that it will be a rougher ride and that we are sacrificing some ride quality for some other good things.

You can't really have 12 people in the boat and still want to go fast. The Monsoon (350ci/340HP) will handle it fine, but coming from a go fast boat you may find its under powered. With the hammerhead (383ci/400HP) you may not notice much difference with only a few people in the 23. With 12 people onboard.....definitely noticeable, but then again so will your gas bill.

Take a 247 for a demo if you can....

Warranty Issues: - we've found everything to be great except the stereo. The problem is when playing ipods. The versions pre ipod touch and classic will all work, but any of the new ones do not work. Rep from malibu has confirmed that with me. Also, you cannot choose playlists, artists, genres or any of that from the stereo. It chooses the first song and plays them one after another. We did have issues where it would play a few, then crap out, and not change songs. That was when using a USB drive. After a few tries or removing and reinstalling the drive, it didn't happen anymore. as some advice, keep your usb limit to 1GB. that will work best for you.

The Sales guy was pretty up front with me in telling me that not all Ipod's would work. I appreicate you going into more depth in telling me which ones. I just have a cheapy Scan Disk so I think I should be okay. I don't know too many that you can scroll through the artists and so forth from the remote.

Does anyone have a wireless remote that works with the factory stereo?

Also, does the drive come out of the boat with you and you take it to your PC? Or does it just upload with what you have on your jump drive?

Edited by Five Cent Worth

:Rockon:Here is the prefered one:

<a href="http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Mal...setter-93138926" target="_blank">http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Mal...setter-93138926</a>

Thanks for all the great feedback! Keep it coming! Rockon.gif

That boat looks sweet. It also has the 09 windshield without the round holes.

Edited by LiQUiDSX

With the exception surfing, it seems to me a v-drive wakeboard boat is overkill and it would be far from my first choice based on the other things you've mentioned. We went from go fast sport boats to a ski boat because all we ever did was tow something with them. Again with the exception of surfing, you are paying for a lot of features that you will hardly use and buying a boat built for boarding and not surfing. Someone (Supra or Centurion) builds a surf specific boat (wake specific and side exhaust) which would be a better choice if surfing is your number 1 requirement.

If you drop surfing from your needs, a stern drive boat fits all your other requirments better. Just a few random thoughts: 1. Backing up with a non stern drive boat can be a challenge, 2. when you do cruise around you will miss the ability to trim the boat, 3. because you have the ability to trim a stern drive you will have more control of bow rise.

I'm surprised you find the factory stereo meets your "sweet stereo" requirment.

Edited by CTSunsetter
With the exception surfing, it seems to me a v-drive wakeboard boat is overkill and it would be far from my first choice based on the other things you've mentioned. We went from go fast sport boats to a ski boat because all we ever did was tow something with them. Again with the exception of surfing, you are paying for a lot of features that you will hardly use and buying a boat built for boarding and not surfing. Someone (Supra or Centurion) builds a surf specific boat (wake specific and side exhaust) which would be a better choice if surfing is your number 1 requirement.

If you drop surfing from your needs, a stern drive boat fits all your other requirments better. Just a few random thoughts: 1. Backing up with a non stern drive boat can be a challenge, 2. when you do cruise around you will miss the ability to trim the boat, 3. because you have the ability to trim a stern drive you will have more control of bow rise.

What would be your first choice?

Largest driver is room - the 23 LSV beats any I/O that I have been in.

We were in your situation and went through the same transition. Two weeks ago we traded in our wonderful 07 Crownline 25 ft. for a new 08 23LSV. We decided hat wakeboarding and surfing were top prioroty, so the 23LSV worked really well for us. We certainly have up flaying across the lake at 50+ with the exhaust screaming... but we knew we were givign that up. We also knew the ride would be rougher on the chop, and it is. We also knew we would be giving up some slow speed maneuvering (We had a Bravo3 on our Crownline.) We are VERY happy ith our decision to change boats. The 23LSV has about the same amount of room as our Crownline... but it allows us to play on the water a lot more... which is something i really missed. Are there some days when we will miss our Crownline? Yes... certainly (those really rough days on the lake going out to dinner for example) but you can't have everything... and when i was faced with deciding on what was important... well... the towing capabilities of the Malibu along with it's very nice design won out. Anyway... i know it's a tough decision. The best advice i can provide you with (because it is what people told me to do!)... DRIVE AS MANY BOATS AS YOU CAN!!!.. and drive them in the types of conditions you are planning to use your boat in. There are some tow boats that will perform more like your Baja on the rough water (x45/x35, Centurion Enzo)... but with each of those boats you also give up something. V-Drives are VERY different from sterndrives and it is very hard to compare the two. Good luck. -Greg

Edited by gregtay

What would be your first choice?

Largest driver is room - the 23 LSV beats any I/O that I have been in.

You could buy one hell of a pontoon boat for the same price of a 23LSV! Thumbup.gif But you can't surf it thus you need an inboard, period. Some will disagree with me but ski and wakeboard boats are still more of a utility craft vs. a pleasure craft. Like everyone said here: try them how you are going to use it.

We were in your situation and went through the same transition. Two weeks ago we traded in our wonderful 07 Crownline 25 ft. for a new 08 23LSV. We decided hat wakeboarding and surfing were top prioroty, so the 23LSV worked really well for us. We certainly have up flaying across the lake at 50+ with the exhaust screaming... but we knew we were givign that up. We also knew the ride would be rougher on the chop, and it is. We also knew we would be giving up some slow speed maneuvering (We had a Bravo3 on our Crownline.) We are VERY happy ith our decision to change boats. The 23LSV has about the same amount of room as our Crownline... but it allows us to play on the water a lot more... which is something i really missed. Are there some days when we will miss our Crownline? Yes... certainly (those really rough days on the lake going out to dinner for example) but you can't have everything... and when i was faced with deciding on what was important... well... the towing capabilities of the Malibu along with it's very nice design won out. Anyway... i know it's a tough decision. The best advice i can provide you with (because it is what people told me to do!)... DRIVE AS MANY BOATS AS YOU CAN!!!.. and drive them in the types of conditions you are planning to use your boat in. There are some tow boats that will perform more like your Baja on the rough water (x45/x35, Centurion Enzo)... but with each of those boats you also give up something. V-Drives are VERY different from sterndrives and it is very hard to compare the two. Good luck. -Greg

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I am 95% in your shoes. Good to hear your feedback on a 25 ft CL vs your 23ft LSV. I have drove some I/O's and don't like the look and set up compared to that of a 23 LSV. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mean "play on the water."

I have the Bravo 1 so anything will be easier around the docks then what I have. I have been boating all my life and have no worries that I will be able to figure a V-drive out. Looked at the Enzo and the dealer here is good but there isn't the same room that is in the LSV. The dealer also doesn't have any good '08's and I don't want to take the hit on the '09's. They also seem to be priced very comparable to Malibu which I would expect to pay less for it. Can't afford the Mastercraft - and love th look of the X-30. They want like ~$70k for a X-15.... ROFL.gif. Malibu seems to have the best value.

I put the offer in yesterday - will see where we go from here. Thumbup.gif

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I am 95% in your shoes. Good to hear your feedback on a 25 ft CL vs your 23ft LSV. I have drove some I/O's and don't like the look and set up compared to that of a 23 LSV. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mean "play on the water."

I have the Bravo 1 so anything will be easier around the docks then what I have. I have been boating all my life and have no worries that I will be able to figure a V-drive out. Looked at the Enzo and the dealer here is good but there isn't the same room that is in the LSV. The dealer also doesn't have any good '08's and I don't want to take the hit on the '09's. They also seem to be priced very comparable to Malibu which I would expect to pay less for it. Can't afford the Mastercraft - and love th look of the X-30. They want like ~$70k for a X-15.... ROFL.gif. Malibu seems to have the best value.

I put the offer in yesterday - will see where we go from here. Thumbup.gif

The Enzo is a very different boat than the 23LSV... drive them and you will see. They are both good for what they are intended (the Malibu being a bit more like a BMW in fit and finish.) The Enzo rocks for surfing (very deep hull) and it is a lot heavier. It's really a matter of which boat fits your needs more. (the Enzo has a smaller cockpit but a bigger bow... the X45 on the otherhand has both a big cockpit and a livingroom sized bow. And you can get great deals on MCs right now.. we were offered a leaft over 07 MC X45 well loaded for $63k (it was a really nice boat, we just didn't want something that big amd I really wanted a Malibu.

Good luck with your purchase!

Yes, Centurion says they build a surf specific boat, however the Centurion is crap compared to the Malibu 23 LSV. We tested out both boats and were able to surf better on the Malibu with everything being stock. We love our new 23LSV. We have two kids 2 and under and we have always felt safe in the malibu. We bought the boat about one month ago and have over 20 hours already! Good luck and enjoy the new boat.

I am sure you will learn how to back up the new Malibu. It is not difficult, just different.

Just make sure your new boat has the ballast system, at lease center and rear to make the surfing easier. We find surfing with just the center and left rear filled works fine. To make the wave bigger we add a fat sack on the left side as well. Be sure to get a good deal - around $60k. :)

I just bought a 23 LSV with the 340 HP. Coming from a 20' Seadoo Speedster 430 HP, this one drives like a dream and is very spacious for the 6 of us. It is an awesome boat, and I love it.

It definately drives a lot different than the jet boat. Not as responsive, and I really havent figured out backing it up. I am still trying to master loading and backing up the boat. Any tips for a guy with a new boat?

Well I am waiting for the dealers counter offer. I haven't herard from them in a few days so I don't know if they are jacked or what. Couldn't imagine they wouldn't want to at least say they'll pass and come back when you sell your boat rather than trade it in.

Will keep everyone posted. Whistling.gif