Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure low during idle

MalibuNation

This week I saw a flashing message that my oil pressure is low and the gauge read 20 psi while idling. My 2003 LSI idles at about 500 rpms, low compared to what I'm used to in cars. I've never noticed it that low during normal idle after the motor had warmed up and hadn't been running it hard. It's been hot outside lately, upper 80s.

When running hard the oil pressure goes up to 40-70 psi so I'm ok there.

No beeping alarms.

Wondering if its the sending unit, pressure switch? Oil isn't low and I use 15w-50 Mobil syntetic, 200 hours. Thanks.

PS I did a search already.

Edited by MalibuNation

From what I have read, low oil pressure at idle is normal.

Also, your idle at 500 RPM is pretty normal as well.

Just make sure you change that oil every 50 hours and you're good. If you want to replace the oil sending unit and oil pressure switch, they are cheap to do so. Since replacing mine, my oil pressure does not read as low during idle.

Do you have the (I don't know what Bu called it) all computer controlled dash ? No analog looking gages? I had a neighbor his did the same. It was a problem in the computer. We replaced it under warranty all has been good. Same year but SSLXI.

Edited by Sixball
Do you have the (I don't know what Bu called it) all computer controlled dash ? No analog looking gages? I had a neighbor his did the same. It was a problem in the computer. We replaced it under warranty all has been good. Same year but SSLXI.

SB, yes I have the MMC, Malibu Messenging Center, will have the dealer look at that.

Trying to get some late skiing in the Great White North before you know what happens. Hate to bring the boat to the dealer now ... hate to see the LS1 blow too! Thanks for all the replies.

The low oil pressure warning from your display is nothing more than a response from a low gauge reading. Things that can cause a low gauge reading on a normally working engine are, a bad sending unit on the engine or a dirty connection in the cannon (dash to engine) plug. The cannon plug is in the engine room and a quick wiggle of it while you are idleing should make your gauge go back to normal pressure (30-40 psi). If this happens, just clean out the plug. Your dash only sends a less than 5 volt signal operating in the milliamps from the gauge to the sender, so any dirty connections easily effects that signal.

This week I saw a flashing message that my oil pressure is low and the gauge read 20 psi while idling. My 2003 LSI idles at about 500 rpms, low compared to what I'm used to in cars. I've never noticed it that low during normal idle after the motor had warmed up and hadn't been running it hard. It's been hot outside lately, upper 80s.

No beeping alarms.

Wondering if its the sending unit, pressure switch? Oil isn't low and I use 15w-50 Mobil syntetic, 200 hours. Thanks.

Is the gauge bouncing around 40-70 when running hard? If so its a bad sending unit. One thing you can do is pick up a check gauge and hard wire into the sending unit hole and see just what the PSI is. I don't like seeing the low 20s. If you do have 200hr on your oil, change your filter every 50hrs. I know the syntetic oil will last longer but the filter will still plug up.

No beeping alarms.

Is the gauge bouncing around 40-70 when running hard? If so its a bad sending unit. One thing you can do is pick up a check gauge and hard wire into the sending unit hole and see just what the PSI is. I don't like seeing the low 20s. If you do have 200hr on your oil, change your filter every 50hrs. I know the syntetic oil will last longer but the filter will still plug up.

I remember seeing the recommendation on Hammerheads sometime after 2003 to use staight 50W oil to solve oil pressure issues.

D-Goose and H20Ski Dude, oil is changed every 50 hours. Also the oil pressure gauge isn't bouncing around as it's a steady climb as I go faster.

Johnsvt, I've seen similar formulas for RPMs/Oil Pressure. Once again, thanks everyone.

Edited by MalibuNation