Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Small Nick In Gelcoat

The good news is that I have 115 hours on my '07 VLX and this is the first time I've needed to post in this section.

The bad news is that my mostly pristine baby has a chip. Yuk.gif

The chip/nick itself appears to be just the surface gelcoat part that contains the the color (in my case white). It is showing the raw fiberglass (gray) underneath. It is about the size of a dime. It is located beneath the waterline on the port side right by the built in raised edge that runs the length of the VLX hulls.

My boat is always on a lift and out of the water when not in use. My questions are; will continuing to use the boat until I store it for winter hurt anything? I'll probably store it end of October. I'll probably put another 10 to 20 hours on it between now and then. Also, how much will it cost to fix? Finally, I don't remember hitting anything. Is there any chance that this was a gelcoat flaw and will be covered by warranty?

Thanks in advance for your help! Such a sick feeling when you find a ding on your boat. I'm pumped that I made it through the long weekend without hurting myself wakeboarding though. Thumbup.gif That's been a challenge for my 37 year old body this year....

I would fill it sooner rather than later, water getting into the glass is a bad thing.

Chances are it was just a void in the gelcoat and would be under the 1 year warranty if that still applies. Otherwise shouldn't be more than a $100 or $200 to have fixed. You could even order a patch kit from spectrum color and DIY.

The other option is to buy some filler (3M makes a good one) and just fill it until the end of the season and then do the gel work.

-Chris

I would fill it sooner rather than later, water getting into the glass is a bad thing.

Chances are it was just a void in the gelcoat and would be under the 1 year warranty if that still applies. Otherwise shouldn't be more than a $100 or $200 to have fixed. You could even order a patch kit from spectrum color and DIY.

The other option is to buy some filler (3M makes a good one) and just fill it until the end of the season and then do the gel work.

-Chris

Thanks...