Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter or sunsetter?

liljohn

So a few of us were talking this weekend and started the debate of waksetter or sunscape? Whats your opinion? We figure that if we were going to rip out the hard tanks and replace them with baggs in the wakesetter wouldnt we be better off getting the sunscape and doing are own ballast system. Are we missing something? we know you would be held to the diamond hull. we wouldnt get the cool emblems but short of that its the same boat. Right? After a quick web tour we figure we can get a 247 sunscape over a 23 wakesetter for the same cost. Add are own ballast (which we would do anyway) and walla a awsome wake limo for the price of a 23lsv. Dontknow.gif

Edited by liljohn

I guess you could if you wanted to break it down... that's the nice thing about Malibu, They give you a lot of options to work with to make it work how you want it to.

Because of 2 things.

1) You're constrained to the diamond hull, & IME yes it makes a difference that people below the pro level can see, even for surfing.

2) A bigger boat will take yet more weight to achieve the same thing. You're going to need a lot more weight in the 247/diamond combination than you would in a 23' Wakesetter. Make sense?

ok so after speaking to the dealer the 247 sunscape is an exception and only comes in the v25 hull. I know a 24 will take a ton of weight for surfing. but 2 750# sacks in the lockers and a belly and bow sack can be plumbed for less than 2K. there seems to be an easy 5k differance in the wakesetter and the sunscape. 3k in savings dosent sound bad. what else am I missing? I have to be missing something or everyone would be doing it.

Are you sure that you're measuring apples for apples? The Wakesetter comes with a lot of standard equipment that the Sunscape doesn't. Tower, ballast & wedge options alone could make the difference. And as I said, there is a difference between how the wake & diamond hulls perform.

Are you sure that you're measuring apples for apples? The Wakesetter comes with a lot of standard equipment that the Sunscape doesn't. Tower, ballast & wedge options alone could make the difference. And as I said, there is a difference between how the wake & diamond hulls perform.

I know there not apples to apples. I have been trying to swing a deal on a 08 23 lsv wakesetter and the best price I can get is in the low 60k. In my research I found an 07 247 sunscape with tower, wedge, center ballast, sport seating, and most of the bling that isnt wakesetter spacific. for the high 50k. considering I mostly surf and will add all my own ballast anyways I am wondering why I wouldnt save some cash and go the 247 route. I have surfed both and the 247 with alot of weight is by far a better surfer than the 23 not that the 23 is bad. That being said I feel like I am missing something. I verified the 24 is on the v25 hull and short of stickers, emblems, rear and bow ballast, the boat is the same.

I know there not apples to apples. I have been trying to swing a deal on a 08 23 lsv wakesetter and the best price I can get is in the low 60k. In my research I found an 07 247 sunscape with tower, wedge, center ballast, sport seating, and most of the bling that isnt wakesetter spacific. for the high 50k. considering I mostly surf and will add all my own ballast anyways I am wondering why I wouldnt save some cash and go the 247 route. I have surfed both and the 247 with alot of weight is by far a better surfer than the 23 not that the 23 is bad. That being said I feel like I am missing something. I verified the 24 is on the v25 hull and short of stickers, emblems, rear and bow ballast, the boat is the same.

Interesting. So it's on the wake hull & not the diamond?

Interesting. So it's on the wake hull & not the diamond?

yes but that is only for the 247 for all other models it would have to be ordered that way.

Very interesting. I have to wonder what it is about that boat that makes the dealer think that it's such a white elephant. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But if it's not, you have move quick. Biggrin.gif

It is an 07 that they just want off the lot. whats bad is that it is not at my dealer. although they have one also. It was the cover boat for 07 and they are blowing it out as well. I just feel like Im missing something between the 2 lines. but if im not then hey who wouldnt take a 24 over a 23 for less cash.. Dontknow.gif